Lowe's Return Policy on Paint?

dont be that guy, if a store had to post the return policy of every item, you wouldnt be able to find anything, just policies.

plus, you chose the paint. why would they take it back and take a hit on the cost..

Nothing wrong with being "that guy". Most states require stores post their return policy. It's not that hard to list the items which are exceptions to the normal return policy.

Stores have a choice. They can clearly list the return policy or they can accept returns from customers who insist a store adhere to the posted policy.

Being "that guy" may motivate a store to change their signage so their intended return policy matches the posted return policy.

Many stores accept returns, even though the merchandise can no longer be sold as new merchandise. Stores take a hit for goodwill. Improve repeat business.

Other posters made a good point. See if the store can tint your mixed paint in order to give you a color you can live with.

The Lowes that I worked for a short period of time, would take back anything including custom paint. It's all up to the manager of each location. It can't hurt to ask...

Every time you purchase custom paint at Lowe's there's a label affixed to the top that has a dot of the paint and says in big letters across the top CUSTOM COLOR-NOT REFUNDABLE. It's not up to the manager.

People who take advantage of returns to abuse companies end up driving up the costs for everyone else.

Nothing wrong with being "that guy". Most states require stores post their return policy. It's not that hard to list the items which are exceptions to the normal return policy.

Stores have a choice. They can clearly list the return policy or they can accept returns from customers who insist a store adhere to the posted policy.

Being "that guy" may motivate a store to change their signage so their intended return policy matches the posted return policy.

Many stores accept returns, even though the merchandise can no longer be sold as new merchandise. Stores take a hit for goodwill. Improve repeat business.

Other posters made a good point. See if the store can tint your mixed paint in order to give you a color you can live with.

as a manager i take back pretty much anything, because i know how it is not to be satisfied. except paint. now if a customer tells me they dont like the "quality" of the paint, ill take it back, but if they dont like the color, thats their own fault.

No you can't . Home Depot has a nonreturnable policy on their mixed paint. It's printed right on the color label on the lid. Sorry.

Like others have said, I think it depends on the store. I have bought 1/2 used cans of paint that have been tinted a different color than on the top, so I know someone used it at home. When buying Oops paint, I always make them open the can so I can check the color. You never know what you're going to get otherwise. But I haven't bought it in a few years...

Part of the reason for the no return policy is because it's a hazard safety to dispose of paint. Many stores do not want to deal with having to resell the paint. So in part it is up to the store. Some stores do good on getting rid of oops paints, while other stores, it can sit there for months on end.

I used to buy a lot of oops paint. Kari's old HD store, used to take the oops paint once a month and put it on the pallet at the front of the store. There were times they'd reduce a gallon to a penny and five gallons to 50 cents.
When her parent's were selling their house, we found two 5 gal paint cans one weekend for 50 cents each. Nice perfect beige color. To say the least, they were really happy with the price they paid.

I'm stunned that anyone would even ASK!! It is a custom mixed product. WHY should a store (and ultimately all of the consumers) take the hit because you didn't like it???:confused3

Dear Gap, I wore these pants to dinner and a movie, but I think they make my butt look big. Oh, and by the way, they were tailored too. What do you mean you won't take them back??? I bought them here!!! Stomp! :rolleyes:

AFAIK not an issue with latex paints.

It's what I was told when I worked for Home Depot. That you had to dispose of it in a proper container rather than the trash. And they still ask that paints be taken to the dump/recycling center for proper disposal.

I love oops paint as much as the next person, but I probably wouldn't be one trying to return the paint if I selected a color I didn't like. Of course, I'd probably just wait for an oops to show up...

Like others have said, I think it depends on the store. I have bought 1/2 used cans of paint that have been tinted a different color than on the top, so I know someone used it at home. When buying Oops paint, I always make them open the can so I can check the color. You never know what you're going to get otherwise. But I haven't bought it in a few years...

Not necessarily. We use the paint in store too. For displays, back rooms, offices, etc.
Sometimes a can is dropped and spilled....since it's considered a Hazmat to trash it, they will put it in OOPS to sell it instead of paying for removal

they put the no return policy in effect about 2 years ago. They are now enforcing it.

They also now have sample sizes in all the brands...including the Martha Stewart one.

AFAIK not an issue with latex paints.

We still have to call it in to 3E(cleanup company). If it's dried it can be thrown out. Any liquid is considered a hazmat at Depot....trust me...it's a PITA to deal with 3E at 3am...especially if it's something stupid like laundry detergent:headache:

"that guy" this whole retun took all of 4 miutes
I asked to return it said I didnt see anywhere I couldnt and ask if they would

they did, OP wanted to know if they would

there was no nonrefundable sticker on my can I had to go get more and thought it wouldnt hurt to try

like others said some will some wont but it wont hurt to try and its not WRONG to try

I would take it back in and see if they can mix it again to make it another color, even if its not a color you'd use for the room you are doing now you could put it aside to do a bathroom or something?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter