Lowes hotels are dog friendly-can I stay here being allergic?

donnamerry

Mouseketeer
I am highly allergic to dog dander (I mean 911 allergic) - could I possibly stay here? how do I know a dog had not been in my room before me? I would love to stay at all the on-site Universal resorts but have this fear. :confused3 Thanks for any replies!

They have pet only rooms/floors. But if you are that allergic then I wouldnt stay there if I were you. You might come into contact with dander or dogs in the lobby and other common areas. People have to bring their dogs in and take them out to go potty several times a day. ;) Spending your vacation in the hospital because of an allergic reaction doesnt sound like much fun.

Ask for a no-pet room and mention your allergy. We've only seen dogs there in the lobby and walking outside. They can't go by the pools or in the restaurants. I'm pretty sure they are kept out of one whole building at RPR. I think it's building 1.

Doing dog rescue, and owning eight dogs of my own...I can't imagine not seeing my dogs for over a week. I am looking forward running into a few dogs here and there. I miss mine terribly when I am away from them!

(Of course, my poor husband...he just rolls his eyes when I see one while on vacation and say...OOOHHHH>>how sweet ! May I pet him/her? :love: :love:

donnamerry said:
I am highly allergic to dog dander (I mean 911 allergic) - could I possibly stay here? how do I know a dog had not been in my room before me? I would love to stay at all the on-site Universal resorts but have this fear. :confused3 Thanks for any replies!

When booking your reservation explain your situation. Tell them its not the standard hives,sneezing but an actual anaphalactic reaction (is that what you meant by 911?) Tell them you are very sensative to pet allergens. The result will help you two ways, 1. The room will be in an area that the pets wont be. and 2. Your room will have been SUPER cleaned, newly cleaned bedding, carpets washed and you may ask for an air cleaning machine, Star Services can handle that request.

Once its booked and ALL your requests are in the computer wait a little while and call and ask whats in the record. Again at check in go through it one last time.

I honestly know this can work but you just cany be sure you wont cross paths walking around with a dog. I guess you would do whatever you would do at home if that happened. Avoid them.

I think its worth it for you to experience a Universal hotel and it can be done without event if you plan it that way. :sunny:

At least at HRH, I see dogs an awful lot in the common areas, particularly right at the base of the staircase area. Some of our best USO stories are from the dogs at our hotel.

One night, a little terrier (like the Frasier dog -- not Benji) was on an elevator with two little girls wet in bathing suits. We were waiting on the elevator with Woody Woodpecker. Well, the door opened and this dog just freaked out when it saw Woody. Yapping and barking and growling, it was on the line of the doors so the doors wouldn't shut, and everyone was a little afraid to reach down and pick the dog up in its state for fear it might bite. The girls were finally able to pull the dog far enough inside for the doors to shut. It was over pretty quick, but we laughed all day. Woody was doubled over laughing :teeth:

Then there was a beautiful chocolate lab that we saw all the time in the common areas. Its owners were so frustrated and embarrassed because evidently the dog was pooping everywhere but outside. We saw this dog daily by the snack cafe in the mornings, by the elevators, by the entrance to the pool, bottom of the staircase, just pooping everywhere. The owners, of course, always cleaned it up immediately and had gotten some spray cleaner from the hotel, which they always had in hand with a roll of paper towels.

So, anyway, to the OP, if being around dogs like this might bother you, I don't see how you could avoid it. If it's a matter of dog/cat hair on your pillows and linens, I would think you'd be okay if the hotel can make sure you're not in a pet room.

I too am very sensative to dog dander. Two years ago I freaked when I realized they allowed dogs and I so wanted to stay at one of the US hotels. My symptoms are an asthma attack that I end up in emergency or at the very least feeling like crap for a couple of days. I can get an allergy attack by sitting next to someone who has a dog and the dog isn't even there or I visited a house of someone who doesn't have dogs but their brother's dog had been there two days before. If dogs lick me I get hives. (yes even poodles and other hairless dogs cause this reaction much to my dismay! I love dogs!) That being said I called the RPH many times before I visited to be assured I would be in the NON DOG area They basically said they give lower rooms to dog owners so it is easier for them to walk their dogs etc. I only had once incident where I came in contact/saw a dog. I was on the elevator going down and it stopped to let someone on who had a dog and I sort of freaked and said "NO don't get on I can't be around dogs-I'm allergic" and closed the door. I never really saw any other dogs during my stay but we were only their 2 nights. I am returning in August..........that FOTL is just too wonderful.........I'm taking my chances again.........hehehe..........yes I'll be calling them over and over to make sure I'm not in any kind of dog room or area.

cometsmom said:
(Of course, my poor husband...he just rolls his eyes when I see one while on vacation and say...OOOHHHH>>how sweet ! May I pet him/her? :love: :love:

So, you're one of those crazy people who stops us every couple of feet to play with our mini-pin. :rotfl2: Just kidding!!! :teeth: This is what we've experienced at the Universal Hotels though. She never has a lack of people wanting to play. :lovestruc

I'm surprised to read that people take their dogs into the elevators though. I suppose we worry about the intrusion more than most do. We try to avoid high traffic areas, when at all possible. We take her straight to the room, & always use the stairs to walk her. I'm just thankful Universal Resorts allow us to bring her. Since we got her, we've had to abandon WDW for this reason. :mad: It was a bit of a shock to go from 5 straight years of WDW AP's to no visits at all. :sad2: Oh well, more money for Universal! :cheer2:

On a side note, I can't imagine taking Molly anywhere thinking she may use the bathroom anyplace other than outside. I think I would leave the resort with her, if that were the case. That's just nasty. :crazy2:

OP,
I hope all goes well for you & you have a great time at UO. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how little the pets actually affect the resorts. :)

We'll be taking two dogs in June. Our oldest won't be able to make it up more than one flight of stairs though, so I guess the elevator will be necessary. We'll be traveling with our Bissell Spot Bot, so any accidents will be quickly cleaned.

donnamerry said:

I was allergic to dogs, cats, dust, mold, field corn, and a ton of other stuff. I went through a long series of desensitation shots when I was a teenager and haven't had a problem since. Has this ever been an option for you?

We've taken our lab two years in a row, and we're going in June staying at the PBH.

You may want to book a room at the RPR in tower 1, because they have 3 towers, and dogs are put in in tower 2, on the first two floors. Most of the time, you'd never see a dog at the RPR, because the walk area is on the side of tower 2. Dogs are allowed to walk thru the main entrance to the check in area, but it wouldn't be that often.

At the HRH it's a different story. The HRH is one building, with dogs being put on the 1st and 5th floors. For the HRH, we would take the elevator down to the 1st floor, and go out to the side walk area. So at the HRH, we passed more people than at the RPR.

For those who have taken the doggies. How do they clean the rooms with the dog in it? Do you have to be there? Is the dog in a crate all day? And how is the noise from the barking? Our dog Sandi would be in doggie heaven to be with us and to have so many people to be friends with, but she tends to let everyone know how unhappy she is to be left alone! We hear her at the lake when we are on the dock, and she doesn't even like the water, just wants the attention! It would not only be nice to have her with us, it would save us a ton of money for Kennelwood!

Disneycrazymom said:
For those who have taken the doggies. How do they clean the rooms with the dog in it? Do you have to be there? Is the dog in a crate all day? And how is the noise from the barking?

You tell the front desk when they can clean the room, and they pass it on to the maids. There is no crate in the room, the dogs can go where ever they want. It's best to put the dog in the kennel, and let the front desk know you are leaving and to clean the room in the morning. When you come back around 2pm, the room is clean. Noise from the dog barking can be a problem. If you leave the dog alone, they bark, and annoy people next door.

What we usually do, is put the dog in the kennel for the morning. Visit the parks, come back at noon, and go to the room and rest. Then we either take turns going to the parks with one person staying in the room relaxing, or we put the dog back in the kennel for a few hours so we can go see fireworks.

The kennel is located in the corner of the parking garage. If you have a preferred annual pass, you can drive over and go thru the gate for free, and the kennel is also free with your APH, nice little perk.

Disneycrazymom said:
For those who have taken the doggies. How do they clean the rooms with the dog in it? Do you have to be there?

They will clean the room, if the dog is in a crate. We do have one, but Molly wasn't crate trained & has never spent any time in it. She's also never stayed in a kennel. I think she would be much more upset & make more noise in a crate. What we do is, DH exchanges the towels & washcloths, plus picks up any toiletries we may need, from the maid in the hall. I usually make our beds & straighten the room whether she's with us or not, so that's not a problem. Since we are staying 5 nights this time, which is 1 night longer than usual, we'll probably prearrange a time for them to clean the room (vacuum, etc.) on our cabana/ pool day. We'll take Molly to the pet lawn for some extra play time, while they're there.

Disneycrazymom said:
Is the dog in a crate all day?
They are free to roam around the room.

Disneycrazymom said:
And how is the noise from the barking? Our dog Sandi would be in doggie heaven to be with us and to have so many people to be friends with, but she tends to let everyone know how unhappy she is to be left alone! We hear her at the lake when we are on the dock, and she doesn't even like the water, just wants the attention! It would not only be nice to have her with us, it would save us a ton of money for Kennelwood!
Molly usually whimpers for a little while, after we leave. It breaks Mommy's heart, so our DS & I walk down the hall out of earshot. My DH hangs around the door waiting for her to settle in & stop whimpering. There was one dog on our floor at RPR that barked alot (almost constantly). I did hear one person in the hall complaining, but I have no idea how it was dealt with. Another dog barked occasionally, but not excessively. I'm sure people would be much more forgiving during the day than in the late evening.

Whether or not it's a good idea to leave them in the room depends solely on the dog. Only you know your dog well enough to decide. Obviously, if they would get upset enough to damage the room, it wouldn't be a good idea.

The Loews staff is great with dogs. :cheer2: The only time we've taken Molly was to RPR. (Our other visits were before we got her.) Midway through our trip, the maid asked my DH why we never wanted our room cleaned. He told her it was because we had a dog in there. She acted totally surprised, & asked him if she could come in to see her. (I don't know if she wanted to see if he was lying to her or what. :p ) She did come in to play. After that, we had 2 other maids knock on the door & ask to play. :) They almost treat the pets better than the humans. :teeth: I'm hoping HRH will be no different.

FYI, we've been to the parks several times, & don't stay very long at one time. We go back often to spend time with her, & she does fine.

Thanks for all the good info! We had an RV until we got the condo at the lake so we had no trouble taking her with us and she loved to travel in the camper. On our last trip she stayed at Kennelwood and seemed to be fine there but I like having her with us. I didn't even know that hotels would allow pet so this is a nice surprise. One we will consider for the future! Thanks again. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter