• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lowered My Cholesterol by 110 pts in 8 wks.

YoMickey

Mouseketeer
I'm 37 and did not want to go on lipitor at this age. I have found a clinical nutritionist who put me on a strict diet along with about 8 different supplements. I've lost about 12 pounds and lowered my cholesterol from 380 to 270 in 8 wks. It's been easy too.

If you want more info I'd be glad to share it with you.

Yo

Started at 192 and I'm at 180 pounds and the diet was not a program to lose weight, it was to lower cholesterol.
I've done very little excercies, maybe walk about 20 minutese a day and started palying a little volleyball once a week. :banana:

I'm also interested in this. DH and I have talked about going to a nutritionist. Was it hard adhering to the diet? Is it reasonable for a total lifestyle change?? :)

YoMickey -- i going to move this to the main WISH board where i think you'll get more replies - the Eating Healthy Board is mainly used for sharing recipes :wave2:

I need to lower my cholesterol as well or I may be going on medication. I would love to hear how you did this. Way to go and Congratulations, you should be very proud of yourself! :thumbsup2

Patty3 said:
I need to lower my cholesterol as well or I may be going on medication. I would love to hear how you did this. Way to go and Congratulations, you should be very proud of yourself! :thumbsup2

I'd like to know too. I'm borderline needing medication. I'd also like to know if you got any other numbers besides your total cholesterol. I was pretty proud of myself b/c I lowered my cholesterol from 244 to 198 over the course of a couple of years but my doctor was NOT happy. Even though my total cholesterol "looked" good, my HDL's and LDL's were out of whack. In those years my "good" cholesterol (the HDL's) went much lower, while the "bad" cholesterol (the LDL's)went much higher. So even though my total was down by 46 points, based on the other numbers I'm now closer to needing medication (which I do NOT want to go on if I can help it!!!)

Thx.

WTG!!!!!! :cheer2:

I would love to know how you did it. I was just told I have to either control my cholesteral with diet and exercise or go on meds....which I also don't want....I am 40. I currently weight 178....down from 200 Jan1/06

Please share how you did this.

Kim

way to go Yo
Good job! I noticed too that when I started eating more fruits & veggies and less junk my cholesterol also went lower. I recently had my blood drawn for cholesterol & thyroid and am waiting for results.

That's amazing, great job! I would love to know what you did! FH has very high cholesterol and I have been doing things with the foods we have been eating and exercising. You seem to have a proven method, I would love to know how!

Great job and keep up the good work!
Thanks!

I am not a doctor and you are not my patient. I am a guy with high cholesterol and I am sharing with you a non-medical way that I was able to lower mine. I do suggest discussing any medical issues or dietary changes with your physician.

You all need to ask yourself if you can change your eating lifestyle....permanently!

Ask youself.... Can I live without butter, margerine, cream, whole milk, ice cream, fruit juices, pop/soda, canned fruit in syrup, and certain cheeses? Can I live without chips, pringles, and doritos? No more burgers with cheese from Beaches and Cream. No more alfredo sauce at Chef Mickey's Buffet. I found good whole food at Disney. It is there. The salads at Wilderness lodge are awesome.

Vacation is not an excuse and I bombed out about once a day. Even with all of the walking I gained about 4 pounds over the span of 8 days. I did not practice what I am preaching but we are all human and luckily I do not live at Disney.

Can you go to a restaraunt and tell them how to prepare your meal? It's tough at first but gets easier with time. After you leave the table, ask yourself, "How could I have ordered differently to make it a healthier meal but still just as satisfying?" You'll develop skills and patterns on how to best order your entre.

Do you have time to walk 30-40 minutes 5 days per week?

Can you change the way you cook? Use PAM spray on a non-stick fry pan instead of oil? It doesn't sound or look like the way they cook on TV, but hek, this is your health and your life you're talking about, not how Martha's sauce looks.

This is not a diet for an individual, it is the way a household needs to eat out or prepare meals at home. Eliminate any fat that is solid at room temperature, except maybe for benecol spread and even that can be replaced with the butter spray. " I can't beleive it's not butter"

Veggies are unlimited, fruits 3-4 per day as snacks and desserts. Meats limited to fish,poultry, soy/tofu. Three 5oz servings per day. Limit red meat to 1 per week. ( 3 egg whites = 1 meat serving) Switch your bread consumption over to whole grain. Make sure it is truly whole grain, some are misleading.. look for total soluble fiber.. Limit yourself to 2- skim milk servings per day

Acceptable fat servings 5-6 per day..1 tbsp mayo, 5 olives, 1/4 avacado, 1 tbsp of seed, 7-10 nuts.

Also, do not bank servings for a large meal. Mix the different servings with each other throughout the day.

Acceptable starches 5-6 per day, 1 small dinner roll, 1 slice of bread, 1/2 pita, 1/2 bagel, 1/2 english muffin, 3 cups popcorn(95% fat free), 1 cup pretzels.

Did I mention water. Drink 1 glass before each meal and drink another with your meal.

A spouse buying into this new lifestyle makes it a team effort for the whole family. Track what you eat down to the last crumb for about 2-3 weeks. Be honest with yourself. Spread the meals out and have small snacks in between.

This is not a calorie counting diet, however do not buy any packaged food that has more than 3-4 grams of fat per serving.

If you have a specific question I'd gladly take an uneducated stab at it.

The above plan was given to me by a clinical nutritionist, based on his findings about my current cholesterol levels, weight, age, and height.
380, 190, 37, 5'7"

Good Luck,
Yo

Great job.

I've never had issues with cholestrol but I wish I could do something similar for BP. I haven't remembered my pill in days and feel fine but dunno where my BP has been.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter