Lower decks

And that's where the Lower decks argument falls flat....if you have a verandah, your not glued to it, you can actually open the door and walk around the ship, in fact you have far more freedom to walk the ship. On Tracy Arm day cruisers with inside rooms were up early staked their claim to a spot and had to keep hold of it, so they had to manage food and restroom breaks within the group.
With a verandah you know you have your own space so you can come back to it, but you can walk the ship, for a photo you can excuse me in, the people who stake out areas generally let you in for a photo, we walked the ship and went and used our verandah, and we had room service on our verandah, we were up early stayed late.

And the ship had announcements, if something was good to see on the other side they told us, like there us a school of Wales off starboard aft, and we all went there and didn't miss anything. We are not nailed in to the stateroom so the argument falls flat.

Next it's well you can't sleep as its light at night...well the verandah rooms gave curtains.

That's great that you had and enjoyed a verandah, but not everyone wants or can afford one. An Alaskan cruise is perfectly enjoyable without one. There are both pros and cons to verandahs just like there are pros and cons to inside/oceanview.

And by the way, while I am not personally upset about your point of view about verandahs since I know I don't need one based on past experiences, keep in mind that when someone (especially who has never cruised before) asks an inside/oceanview stateroom question, it could be very discouraging to them to instead be told they must book a stateroom that they might not be able to afford in order to fully enjoy their cruise.

Thank you for asking this! I think I will change from deck 6 to deck 2! :)

That's great that you had and enjoyed a verandah, but not everyone wants or can afford one. An Alaskan cruise is perfectly enjoyable without one. There are both pros and cons to verandahs just like there are pros and cons to inside/oceanview.

And by the way, while I am not personally upset about your point of view about verandahs since I know I don't need one based on past experiences, keep in mind that when someone (especially who has never cruised before) asks an inside/oceanview stateroom question, it could be very discouraging to them to instead be told they must book a stateroom that they might not be able to afford in order to fully enjoy their cruise.

Thats kind of the feeling I get too... it ends up being more the haves vs. have nots in some ways. I think the poster was also in concierge or a royal suite to boot, which also afforded a lot of things you wouldn't get from a mere balcony, such as an invite to the officer's deck on Tracy Arm day. Personally, the decision to forego a balcony was 100% the right decision for us. It wasn't a matter of money since we took another cruise with the savings it was just a much more frugal (which is NOT the same as being stingy) and just as enjoyable time for us. :)

You saw a school from Wales?
Or do you mean a pod of WHALES?

Thank you!!

Also, if the vibrations he mentioned were due to an engine malfunctioning, that would be a case-specific thing. Not a usual thing.

Actually, MJ, if they reshop, the OBB discounts are on the prevailing rates. They don't get the rates in effect when they booked.

Yes, but, if the price went up substantially they would still have the lower price from booking now, right? Or am I totally confused....which is quite possible.

MJ

Yes, but, if the price went up substantially they would still have the lower price from booking now, right? Or am I totally confused....which is quite possible.

MJ
Yes, booking now they lock in those rates. If, when they reshop onboard (at the prevailing rates), the prices haven't risen enough to negate the savings of the discounts/OBC (possible) then they should rebook onboard. If the prices have gone up enough that the new (overall)costs would be higher than the opening day rates, then they just leave the original booking in place.

For example on a 7 night cruise(prices entirely made up):

Booking on opening day price $2000. Deposit amount (20%) is $400. Overall cost $2000

Booking onboard price $5000. Deposit amount $500. OBC $200. Overall cost $4800.

However, if the price at the time of the onboard booking only rises, say $200. Cruise price $2200. Deposit $220. Onboard credit $200. Overall cost $2000 same as opening day.

Or, price doesn't rise. The cruise price is $2000. Deposit is $200. Onboard credit $200. Overall cost $1800.

Last edited:

MJ

I am hoping that the rate increases will follow a similar pattern to what they have in the past couple for mid-August sailings. If it does, the OBB discount would be a better deal.

I had them check the price for re-shopping my Hawaiian cruise while I was on the WBTA and it wasn't worth it. Since the booking window was only at 18 months at the time, I didn't book a dummy date as I knew I wouldn't use it before it expired. Now they increased it to 24 months!

I've always booked oceanview staterooms on all three of my cruses the second one I got upgraded a few days before the cruise to A verandah, I liked it but didn't really spend much time on it and I didn't miss it for my next cruise The cruise I had the verandah for was a Transatlantic one and the one after I went back to the porthole one and just ended up wondering the ship throughout the day. I was even in my room when we went through a lock and got a view that someone in a varanda couldn't get.

Great video of a lock!
Was the music played in your cabin by yourself or by DCL?
If it were by DCL I would be pretty annoyed to not just enjoy that unique view!

Great video of a lock!
Was the music played in your cabin by yourself or by DCL?
If it were by DCL I would be pretty annoyed to not just enjoy that unique view!
Thanks the background music was on the stream tv I put it on ibn case there was some narration.

So glad to hear good things about lower decks on the classic ships!!

Any noise on Deck 2 from the tween club or MDR? We just booked 2081 (inside deluxe stateroom) on the Magic, it'll be our first non-verandah, lower deck room. :)

On the Fantasy and Dream the difference in price is usually just a couple hundred dollars so I go with the verandah. On the Magic and Wonder it can be substantial....maybe thousands depending on the cruise. We did our first cruise in Feb. without a verandah and it was fine. I no longer feel like I have to have a verandah. We hardly spend any time in the room. We have two cruises booked next year on deck 2 on the Wonder and Magic, and I'm not concerned at all. I would try to a pick room that is in a quiet location. I'm saving over 2k by giving up the balcony.

I did Deck 2 to Alaska.... no complaints and would do it again....
  • found the verandah's too windy and cold
  • the oversized Deck 2 porthole felt like I was on the balcony without being exposed to the weather. Not interested in the twins.
  • watch out for the pressure washer!
  • get the port side... hated the starboard side... no privacy in Vancouver
  • elevator access was so easy on deck 2 compared to upper decks where they were mostly full when I wanted to use them
  • I like saving money... used for excursions and photo's

We had an inside room on deck 6 on our Alaska cruise last August (our first ever cruise). We were just so pleasantly surprised that the room wasn't as cramped as we had feared that we didn't mind not having a view or verandah. My parents were across the hall and had a verandah and they definitely enjoyed it, but we spent the majority of time up on deck and the scenery was stunning (and even during Tracy Arm day there was no fighting the crowds for a view, there wasn't a bad place on any of the upper decks). I will say if I was to get a verandah I think Alaska or Panama Canal would be my choice since you're next to land the majority of the time. We did a 5 night Western Caribbean also on the Wonder and I was able to upgrade to one of the oversized verandah's at the back of the ship on deck 5 (we were the farthest aft room on the deck). Since we were mostly at sea (with Cuba far in the distance) there just wasn't much to see. Sure the breeze and light were nice, but if I had to pay more than a few hundred I wouldn't bother. Of course to each their own, just giving my 2 cents.

As for vibrations, on deck 5 aft on the Wonder we definitely had vibrations when we pulled into port early morning. It wasn't terrible, just a constant humming and strong vibration for a good 20 min or so while they used the thrusters to maneuver into port. I think the majority of far aft rooms would experience the same. Wouldn't stop me from booking that area of the ship again though.

• the oversized Deck 2 porthole felt like I was on the balcony without being exposed to the weather. Not interested in the twins.
  • elevator access was so easy on deck 2 compared to upper decks where they were mostly full when I wanted to use them

That's great to hear! We're on deck 2 this summer for the 7 night Mediterranean on the Magic.

Good point about the pressure washer, our aft balconies were actually sprayed with some ammonia smelling liquid while we were docked in Cozumel. My parents called guest services to let them know and they ended up sending wine and adding an onboard credit to compensate. I also got sprayed with some very foul smelling liquid when getting off the ship at Castaway Cay (there were guys on cranes spraying down the ship). I'd rather not know what it was....

I just booked Alaska 8/8/16 and picked deck 6 for only $100 more than deck 1 and 2.
I booked Alaska 8/8/16 cat 9b, so deck 2. It will be our first cruise (FINALLY!) and I am pumped. With a 3 year old I am not overly comfortable with a veranda, not to mention I cannot justify that cost. So thank you Xlxo, MJ, and others for your positive words about the lower decks!

This thread makes me happy. We are about to head off on the WBPC so 14 nights on deck 2 midship port side. I was a bit nervous about not having a balcony for fresh air...but we have cruised before with a balcony before and all we ever used it for was for propping it open to get fresh air. We never actually sat on it. We like to keep busy and be out with the people.

We are booked on Deck 2 for the EBTA in May and I have no worries either. We did the WBPC back in 2005 on Deck 2 and had some cool pics of the lock walls as we were passing through.

We just did the Fantasy on March 7th with a Verandah and while nice we did not spend tons of time out on it. So, I can with certainty, for us at least, a verandah is not a necessity. DCL has different types of accommodations for a reason. Not everyone will want the same thing and it is great to have variety to choose from.

MJ

A couple of questions:

Do you mean power washing of the windows?
You mentioned no privacy in Vancouver. Don't they have curtains you can pull across like the Dream does?

Thanks for all the comments/advice!

I booked Alaska 8/8/16 cat 9b, so deck 2. It will be our first cruise (FINALLY!) and I am pumped. With a 3 year old I am not overly comfortable with a veranda, not to mention I cannot justify that cost. So thank you Xlxo, MJ, and others for your positive words about the lower decks!

That's actually the exact cruise we want to book, and we will have a two-year old. Maybe we will see you on deck 2. :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter