Low Fat Options at Disney

Chickkypoo

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has experience eating at Disney on a low-fat diet.

I am currently awaiting surgery for my gallbladder and have debated postponing my trip in January until after my surgery as I was hospitalized a few weeks ago because of several severe attacks in a row (my gallbladder was inflammed.

Since the surgeon has put me on a new low-fat diet (40g of fat or less a day) and anti-biotics for my inflamation I have been doing really well, I feel a lot better and haven't had another attack. If this keeps up the next couple of weeks, we are going to take the trip.

I know it will be hard staying away from all of the goodies at Disney, but I'd rather do so than not take the trip in January.

Can anyone offer any low-fat options. I prefer not to be eating salad at each meal. We are bringing our own breakfast foods, so that will be taken care of.

Thanks so much! :goodvibes

I believe almost every counter service will have a veggie burger (I think they are Boca). Those seem to be low fat, and you can always request fruit instead of fries.

I know the nice big warm pretzels are low fat, and I believe Dole Whips are too (http://www.precisionfoods.com/foodservice/bnd_products_details.cfm?skuid=10922&id=103).

I have enjoyed the vegetarian wrap sandwhich at Cosmic Rays. You can ask for them to hold any dressing. I usually will grab a BBQ sauce from the fixin's area to make up for the leaving the creamy dressing off.

Earl of sandwich has some nice turkey, and chicken sandwiches. Just have them leave off the cheese and any creamy sauces.

If you go to table service restaurants they are very accomodating about adjusting dishes to your needs. Mama Melrose could make you a flatbread pizza and hold the cheese. Or maybe toss you up some pasta with veggies, chicken and a tomatoe sauce.

Good luck and have a great time!

Since you require an EXTREMELY low fat diet and it's for medical purposes, I suggest you contact the Special Diets department. They can answer all of your question. For TS restaurants, they will attach a note to your ADR letting the chef know that you'll be coming so he can assist you with dining options. You can also ask specific question about what can be done at your resort's CS location and a chef there will be able to answer questions for you about their options as well. CS locations at resorts are much better equipped to handle special dietary needs as compared to CS locations in parks.

Contact info for Special diets as well as dining with special needs can be found in the stickies on on the disABILATIES! board.

I agree, Special Diet people will be able to send or go through all of your options in each park and resort. Good luck, hope your surgery goes well, whenever you decide to have it.

Thanks so much for all the help!

I will contact Special Diets for more info.

I'm very excited that I can probably still eat the pretzels and the Dole Whip, they are 2 of my favorite treats :goodvibes

I see the surgeon again on the 2nd of December, I should be finding out my surgery date then.

FYI-before I had my gall bladder removed, a lot of salad set me off worse that anything. Mine was very diseased so.......

I typically eat 20 g of fat or less per day (have for over 13 years, and it has just become a way of life for me), and have had no problem dining at Disney. Just like eating anywhere else, or even grocery shopping, you just have to be smart about reading descriptions. If something says "cream sauce" or "sauteed in butter", I rule it out immediately. I agree about letting them know ahead of time that you are on a medical diet, and they will help you out. Also, I have found the restaurants are very accommodating if you let them know. For instance, when we were at 'Ohana Breakfast, our server overheard me say to my husband something to the effect of it's just as well that I don't care too much about breakfast since I don't eat "real" eggs, or red meat. Without even being asked, she brought me Egg Beaters (made w/ out butter) and turkey bacon!:thumbsup2

Good luck with your trip! Just a word of caution- after I had my gallbladder out 9 years ago I still needed to be cautious in what I ate for several months or I would end up running for the nearest bathroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter