• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Low cost medical insurance/preexisting condition

How old is your future son-in-law? How long as he been working? If he had a job but is losing the job because he is too ill to work, might he be eligible for social security disability and with it medicaid? Will he get unemployment? If he is single and has no income, would he qualify for medicaid?

I know that in this state, even if you are not married, your bf/gf's income is counted when considering eligibility, if you live together- not that fraud isn't common on that technicality.

Just please don't lie to the friends and family you invite to the later, larger celebration about what it is there are witnessing. If I got all dressed up, spent a day attending the event, giving a generous gift, then found out that the couple was lying about having been married for months and months already? I would not be happy.

A friend of my SO was doing a destination wedding. We couldn't go because of money, but turns out they decided it wasn't worth the extra expense to actually get married in another country, so they went to the courthouse a month before the destination wedding and told everyone. If we'd spent $2k to go on vacation to watch them re-enact their wedding, I would not be happy. Then again, they hosted an at-home "reception" as well, but didn't actually host anything - no food, no drinks.

Whatever they decide they just need to make sure the coverage doesn't lapse.if that means buying cobra it is worth the expense to avoid an even bigger expense down the road.

Just please don't lie to the friends and family you invite to the later, larger celebration about what it is there are witnessing. If I got all dressed up, spent a day attending the event, giving a generous gift, then found out that the couple was lying about having been married for months and months already? I would not be happy.

A friend of my SO was doing a destination wedding. We couldn't go because of money, but turns out they decided it wasn't worth the extra expense to actually get married in another country, so they went to the courthouse a month before the destination wedding and told everyone. If we'd spent $2k to go on vacation to watch them re-enact their wedding, I would not be happy. Then again, they hosted an at-home "reception" as well, but didn't actually host anything - no food, no drinks.

I disagree. I see no issue with not sharing that the paperwork was dealt with ahead of time for personal, financial reasons.

Honestly, what percentage of couples lives together before they get married anyway? The majority of the time, you're celebrating the commitment 'after the fact.'

I am a notary (in Maine that includes some JP duties). I married a couple at a diner before the husband was deployed with short notice. He wanted her to have her benefits "just in case".

They had the big church wedding/reception after he returned.

I do agree with a PP though, that a church wedding (if that is what you mean by a "real wedding") isn't impossible to pull off in a month either. May no be a whole big shabang- but that may be a good thing if he is still recovering. I don't think our pastor would have any problems with little notice given the circumstances.

mrsklamc said:
I disagree. I see no issue with not sharing that the paperwork was dealt with ahead of time for personal, financial reasons.

Honestly, what percentage of couples lives together before they get married anyway? The majority of the time, you're celebrating the commitment 'after the fact.'

I agree with your disagree lol. What is the difference If a couple signs a piece of paper before or after the ceremony? The ceremony is about celebrating the love and commitment of the couple with friends and family as well as observing whatever religious/ traditions/etc. they have.

Try www.pcip.gov. This program is through United Healthcare. It isn't available in all states but it's worth a look. I too have preexisting conditions and I'd be up the creek without a paddle without employer sponsored insurance. Briefly checked it out and premiums are not bad. They are based on age and according to a friend of mine who has it there are no medical questions or exam. Good luck.

Try www.pcip.gov. This program is through United Healthcare. It isn't available in all states but it's worth a look. I too have preexisting conditions and I'd be up the creek without a paddle without employer sponsored insurance. Briefly checked it out and premiums are not bad. They are based on age and according to a friend of mine who has it there are no medical questions or exam. Good luck.

Thanks. Unfortunately, to qualify, you have to be without insurance for the past six months. :sick:

Thanks everyone for the responses. :) I guess every Mom wishes for a fairytale wedding for their daughters. Her older sister is having one in May. She was either going to have a small wedding in Sept 2013, or a larger one in 2014. They never really wanted a big wedding. Just a small one with close family and friends. Unless she has it next weekend, her sister won't even be at the wedding. Sis is coming in from Louisiana for her bridal shower.

I guess I'm now perplexed at how to plan a wedding on very short notice. I do want it somewhat special...after all, this is a commitment. I'm fine with a justice of the peace.

I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if you or someone else have already posted this, but why don't you start a thread about planning this wedding on short notice. There are so many creative and frugal people on the boards. I bet you'll get some GREAT ideas!

Best of luck to them. :)I do think this happens quite often.

Until 2014, HIPAA still applies...which means you can't be uninsured longer than 63 days and still cover pre-existing conditions. However, the wedding will only open the "change in circumstance" window to allow election of the daughter's plan for thirty days. If the election is not made in that time frame, they'll have to wait until her next open enrollment period at work.

Notify daughter's HR the week or two before the wedding, then submit paperwork as soon as possible afterward.

My future son-in-law just got out of the hospital about two weeks ago after a two months stay. Several times, we thought we were going to lose him; however he pulled through. :thumbsup2 Thank God for insurance.

However, since he won't be going back to work for a long time, and he has more than used up sick leave, he will lose his health insurance on January 1.

He can get COBRA, but with his health condition, it's way too expensive. He lives with my daughter and granddaughter, and I think their household income is too much for Medicaid. Right now, the plan is for them to get married before December 31, so he could get on DD's health insurance at work. :scared1: They were originally going to get married next summer.

I want them to have a proper wedding, not a wedding at the Justice of the Peace. But they can't think of how they could afford insurance for him without them getting married.

Please help.

That's not yours to want.

What they want, is what matters and what they should do. You had your wedding. Now is the time for you to be supportive of them and their wants & needs - don't be giving them guilt and worry about pleasing you.

She does need to check her own policy but I have never worked where a change of life (marriage, baby, adoption, divorce, etc) doesn't get added immediately. As I told the OP, We did the same thing for insurance for my DH. And honestly, I have never had what I would consider to be an awesome policy.

I had a really great policy - they covered pretty much everything, deductible about 200.
I got married mid-month, and so spouse was covered 1st day of the next month.

Update. They're married.

DD24 and DSIL got married on Saturday. Here are the pictures from the ceremony (from my pre-trip report).

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3014030&page=4

I'm happy for them. They are so in love. :) And DSIL will be covered under DD's policy come January 1.

Thanks for all who responded. I was surprised to see so many agreeing that getting married was the way to go. I was worried this would turn into a judgemental attack. I'm so happy it wasn't.

Thanks for the Dissers. You guys are the greatest.

Update. They're married.

DD24 and DSIL got married on Saturday. Here are the pictures from the ceremony (from my pre-trip report).

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3014030&page=4

I'm happy for them. They are so in love. :) And DSIL will be covered under DD's policy come January 1.

Thanks for all who responded. I was surprised to see so many agreeing that getting married was the way to go. I was worried this would turn into a judgemental attack. I'm so happy it wasn't.

Thanks for the Dissers. You guys are the greatest.

That is great and congratulations to the happy couple. They do look happy and it sounds like it was a really nice ceremony.

I will admit I was worried people would be of a different opinion too so it was good to see so much support.

Congratulations and it is wonderful that they will be happy and not have DSIL health to worry about.

Thanks for all the good wishes. :cloud9:

Congratulations and it is wonderful that they will be happy and not have DSIL health to worry about.

Unfortunately, he'll always have the health problems. However, they won't have to worry about insurance for his problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter