Low cost CPR classes?

Cruise

Wake up, your month is up!;)
I was looking into getting CPR certified and, naturally, went to the Red Cross website to see about classes. The local class is $90 :scared1: And that doesn't include any materials. You can buy the books, or print out things at home on your own (still - lots of printer ink... ugh).

Am I just naive to think that a CPR class wouldn't cost this much? Does anyone have suggestions for a lower cost class option?

Thanks

Look into the American Heart Association. Mine lasts 2 years I think? Also maybe you could get a group of coworkers together? We had a local fireman do a special class for us at work and it was way cheaper. And- bonus- if someone keels over at work there is more than one person who can save you.

Check with the boy scouts. I knew a scout (many years ago) who taught CPR classes for freebie for his eagle scout project.

I read recently that the Red Cross recently raised their course prices due to the fact that the lower prices barely covered the cost of the course. With the increase in price I believe that they expanded the duration that you are covered from 1 year to 2 years.

Our local hospital does CPR and First Aid training. Price for just CPR is $15 for a four hour course. Price for the CPR/FA class is $25 for a full-day eight-hour course. So, you might try calling any nearby hospitals.

I just got certified in CPR/FA through work (free) this past June. I just looked at my card and it's through the Emergency Care & Safety Institute (ECSI). I checked their website and you can do online certification in CPR/FA for $25.

Check with your local community college! They usually offer safety and first aid courses, and you can actually earn an EMS certificate through some!

Our local fire department offers them once a quarter for $10. The classes are usually filled with scouts and voluteers who are required to be CPR certified. I believe it is an American Heart Association class since that is what is on the certification card you get for completing the class.

They also offer Red Cross certification for babysittling classes for $25 which includes CPR certification.

I 2nd checking with your local fire dept... ours offers the class on a Sunday evening once a quarter.. the actual class is free, and if you want to buy the book, it's just $10.

That's the way I used to get my certification (I'm an RN), but since I got my present job, they hold the classes for us at the hospital.

I also agree with the suggestion of checking with your local fire or ambulance service. I am a Paramedic and an American Heart Association Instructor. There are online cert courses available relatively cheap. go to the AHA website. Remember that there are different types of cpr classes and that is where you may run into an expense. Classes for the general public, Students, and Health care providers. Then you have course that include First Aid. Good luck on finding a class. There are many good options. And thank you for wanting to learn how to save a life!

I was looking into getting CPR certified and, naturally, went to the Red Cross website to see about classes. The local class is $90 :scared1: And that doesn't include any materials. You can buy the books, or print out things at home on your own (still - lots of printer ink... ugh).

Am I just naive to think that a CPR class wouldn't cost this much? Does anyone have suggestions for a lower cost class option?

Thanks

Maybe you can convince your employer that it would be beneficial for everyone to become CPR certfied, and have them pay to have a trainer come into the office and train everyone??

CPR (and first aid) certificiation is required for my job, so we get paid our regular hourly wage to go to the class (which our training department runs).

+1 to checking with your local Fire dept. I am a certified instructor and FF we generally hold classes once a quarter for citizens. It is free for those who join the Citizen Emergency Responce Team (CERT) otherwise it costs $25 I believe.

Sometimes hospitals offer CPR classes -

Our church offers them 1 time per year (and that includes the defib training too). We have several auto defibs in the church.

And my other suggestion - does any local YMCA offer them? Still would cost money - but in our area - it is closer to $70 than $90.

I am a director at a Senior Center and we offer a CPR & First Aid Cert class for free to area businesses and to the general public because we have an AED onsite. We hire a AHA instructor who lives locally and offer a 4 hour class.

You can also check your local schools, ice rinks, even malls that have AEDs
and see when if they are offering any classes.

I just took a CPR class and a First Aid class at my local Girl Scout council in the spring, if that is an option for you. It was only $14 each class and I bought the required book, which was a Red Cross book used, on half.com for about $5+ shipping.

Thanks, all!

These options didn't even occur to me.

As for my employer offering them... well, I'm not working. And I can't teach myself! :rotfl:

Called your local hospitals see if they offer first aid and cpr. I know around here they offer free cpr and first aid. I get first aid and cpr through the state of tennessee for free for foster care.

Check your local fire dept, hospital, community college to see if they offer the class. The American Red Cross terrible with their prices. Try looking for American Heart Association.

Thanks

Yeah, the Red Cross is always the most expensive option. What you need to do is find a local training company. Most cities have at least one or two. The classes are way better and usually half the price. This company has CPR classes for $49. A quick google search should get you what you're looking for.

Old thread but my son got certified at the local fire department. I think I paid $25.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter