Low Carb Chat

Castillo Mom

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! After being absent a couple of years I'm back on WISH and have noticed that things have changed somewhat. It's great to see so many threads on exercise, running and marathons. There's even a thread dedicated to WW chat which is also awesome!

I did also want to ask if there's anyone out there doing low carb or carb control like Atkins, Paleo or South Beach. If you're out there, please say hello! I'd love to see a thread dedicated to carb control chat.:)

ETA: Thought I'd go ahead and change the title of this thread since a few people have joined in. I love hearing about other's experiences with low carb. This is a place to come for encouragement, support and to learn from each other. I've never started a thread like this so hope we can keep it going!:)

Hello everyone! After being absent a couple of years I'm back on WISH and have noticed that things have changed somewhat. It's great to see so many threads on exercise, running and marathons. There's even a thread dedicated to WW chat which is also awesome!

I did also want to ask if there's anyone out there doing low carb or carb control like Atkins, Paleo or South Beach. If you're out there, please say hello! I'd love to see a thread dedicated to carb control chat.:)

I've never been to the WISH boards before ... but I came here looking for the same thing! ha! JUST started doing low carb several days ago. So excited!

Hey! My first time in this part of the boards and this is just what I was looking for.

DH and I follow a primal/paleoish diet. We're realllly good at it cooking at home. Unfortunately, we're equally terrible about eating out A LOT, and not eating so well when we do it.

Looking forward to seeing a few more of us!

I would also like to join in with this group. I have done low carb before and it worked great although I did go overboard and made myself sick. I then had to go off of it for a bit and the weight came back. :sad: My biggest problem is that carbs seem to make me much hungrier! :confused3 I have a hard time trying to find "good carbs" that dont make me crave more.

Looking forward to learning and sharing more about a low carb lifestyle. :cool1:

I've been noticing that I would eat larger portion sizes before, but now with low carb, I'm finding that I fill up quicker and don't even want as big a portion as I would have before. Is that typical?

I would love to join this as well, DH and I have cut all "bad" carbs out and are limiting carbs all together.

The only thing that I can add is that when I tried a low carb diet, it killed my ability to run long distances. Over a few weeks I got weaker and weaker, so I stopped.

I've been noticing that I would eat larger portion sizes before, but now with low carb, I'm finding that I fill up quicker and don't even want as big a portion as I would have before. Is that typical?

Yes, that is perfectly normal. Your food is higher energy now, so you will need less of it.

The only thing that I can add is that when I tried a low carb diet, it killed my ability to run long distances. Over a few weeks I got weaker and weaker, so I stopped.

Which goes to show you how very different we all are! When I indulge in carbs, I am just a miserable, sluggish individual. When I eat low carb, I feel so much better.

Which goes to show you how very different we all are! When I indulge in carbs, I am just a miserable, sluggish individual. When I eat low carb, I feel so much better.

I am not sure that we are talking about the same thing. I never felt weak or sluggish walking around the house or in my day to day routine. I only felt this way when running long distances. My assumption is that my legs just didn't have the glycogen stores required to run long distances.

I could run 8 miles or less without problems. After about mile #8, I would hit a wall. As soon as I started eating a more normal carb load again, the problem disappeared.

I have since tried "healthy carb" diets that worked much better for me, and were more sustainable (again, for me). Neither effected my running.

OP here. Hello everyone, I'm so glad you all posted to this thread! I was beginning to think I was the only low carber around. It's so nice to have some company.:)

Well I'm at the office right now but will be back this evening. Just wanted pop in quickly to encourage you all to keep posting . See ya later!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm diabetic, so carbs are NOT my friend. I've been very successful in losing weight (130 lbs) and achieving control of my blood glucose (A1c 5.1) due to a low-carb (ketogenic) diet

I've never been to the WISH boards before ... but I came here looking for the same thing! ha! JUST started doing low carb several days ago. So excited!

Yay, glad you came along! Are you following a particular plan or doing your own thing? Either way, congratulations. Hopefully this thread grows a bit more so that we can all encourage each other.:)

Hey! My first time in this part of the boards and this is just what I was looking for.

DH and I follow a primal/paleoish diet. We're realllly good at it cooking at home. Unfortunately, we're equally terrible about eating out A LOT, and not eating so well when we do it.

Looking forward to seeing a few more of us!

Hello! Paleo, that's great. I don't know too much about it but did notice the book at Costco the other day and flipped through it and noticed a lot of yummy recipes.

Yes, eating out can be a challenge sometimes. Potatoes are my biggest temptation.:roll eyes:

And yes, I'm hoping more people join in. The more the merrier!

ITA. I've done Atkins before and one of the things I noticed was appetite suppression. After falling off the wagon for quite some time I tried WW. While I did start to lose weight again, I was always hungry. Not so with Atkins so I restarted one week ago. My energy is coming back, I'm sleeping better and I'm not hungry between meals. Too many carbs can make me hungry so I can related to what you're saying.

I would love to join this as well, DH and I have cut all "bad" carbs out and are limiting carbs all together.

Welcome! Please keep in touch on how you're doing, we can all be of encouragement to each other.:)

Joining in....

Hi Wiigirl, welcome!

I'm diabetic, so carbs are NOT my friend. I've been very successful in losing weight (130 lbs) and achieving control of my blood glucose (A1c 5.1) due to a low-carb (ketogenic) diet

Wow, congratulations! You're an inspiration! Would you mind sharing some thoughts on what helped you be successful? I sure could use some tips.

Thanks for putting this thread together. I have followed Jorge Cruise and his BellyFat Cure Poland for about 4 years now. They are based on low sugar, good carb and low carb plans. I had great success losing about 30 lbs, and maintained it for three years. Sure I would gain 6-7 lbs at bad times, but always bounced back and dropped it. The past 4 months I have gained 14 lbs from reckless eating. Time for me to get back on track! For me low carb, low sugar is the key.

Wow, congratulations! You're an inspiration! Would you mind sharing some thoughts on what helped you be successful? I sure could use some tips.

No earth shattering tips or tricks, just eating below 1600 calories and 50-75 carbs (total, not net...net carbs are between 20-40) with a focus on fat (I don't worry about saturated fat, but avoid trans-fat and vegetable oils) and protein. Do you log your food? MyFitnessPal, spark People and Fitday are all good options for keeping track.

As far as meals go, I don't eat any grains...at all. No rice, no wheat, no flour, no corn. No flour, no bread, no pasta, no tortillas. No potatoes. Limited amounts of beans. Limited amounts of fruit. Not as strict as Atkins induction. Not quite Paleo (I might consider myself 90% Primal though) because I do like my cheese and heavy cream and also avoid honey due to the diabetes.

Bread sub - I use lettuce to wrap sandwiches and burgers. Occasionally I make "cloud bread", especially if I want a hotdog because a hotdog just isn't the same without a bun. http://whatsfordinner-momwhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/2012/06/gluten-free-grain-free-cloud-bread.html Or I make a muffin in a minute, which is very good shaped in a square container, split and toasted http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/453964-low-carb-muffin-in-a-minute

Pasta sub - I use shredded zucchini (buy yourself a spiral slicer or julienne peeler) or spaghetti squash. My husband is Sicilian and I though giving up pasta was going to be a huge problem and I'd be stuck constantly making two meals. However, he absolutely loves the zucchini. The nice thing is that you can grow your own in the summer very very easily (and still have enough left over to share with neighbors)

Rice was never a big deal for me, but if I need a sub, grated cauliflower works. Cauliflower also works as a sub for potatoes. I don't particularly care for mashed cauliflower (I've never gotten the texture right despite many attempts), but loaded faux-tatoes are really good http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/loaded_cauliflower.html and so is faux-tato salad http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/AnitasLowCarb/media/Low Carb Recipes/unpotatosalad.jpg.html
Rutabagas and turnips make good fries.

There are also some commercial low-carb flatbreads and tortillas available. I don't eat them so I don't have a recommendation.

Legumes - kidney beans, lentils, garbanzo, etc., etc., - are all really "healthy" but diabetics tend to have a problem with increased BG even with . I LOVE beans, so this was a challenge for me. I can now handle around 1/2 cup servings, but at first I had to stick with a tablespoon or so on salads. Chili and soups need to focus on meats and vegetables instead of beans.

Fruits - I really only eat fruits in the summer when they are in season. Fresh berries in small quantities are good. Bananas, grapes, pineapple, cherries and peaches give me problems. Melons are OK as long as I watch portion size. I'll have 1/2 an apple in the fall when they come into season.

Have you ever used Pinterest? I keep most of my recipe ideas there http://www.pinterest.com/kdipiazz/

My favorite recipe blogs are http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/ and http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/ I also like http://www.kalynskitchen.com/ which focuses on South Beach recipes.

Find an exercise activity you enjoy. I adore Zumba and have been really bummed because i had surgery on 12/30 and can't go back to class until the middle of February. Walk with your kids..or a dog...or both. Water is great.. Swim. Join a water aerobics class. Or just walk around in the water. Ride bikes. Buy a pedometer and set a step goal - I LOVE my Fitbit. It doesn't matter what you do as long as you do it. It doesn't matter how long you can do something when you first start. Set a small goal. Reach that goal and then set a new one.

Just keep going. That's the real secret ...don't let a bad meal turn into a bad day. Don't let a bad day turn into a bad week. Don't let a bad week turn into a bad month. Don't let a bad month turn into a bad year ... or years. Just keep going

WW never worked for me as it was too easy to just "indulge" and Atkins only worked once and I gained it back. My issue is addiction to sugar and I knew I wasn't getting the nutrients I needed. I started on Isagenix on 12/15 and I've lost 13.4 pounds and 22.88 inches. I am not hungry, have more energy, sleeping better and my cravings for things like Milky Ways and PB cups is gone. I've also cut drasically down on coffee. The system is considered expensive, but for what I was spending eating out at lunch, some dinners and those MOST LOVED Chick Fila b'fast biscuits, I am actually saving money. I think I can really stick to this as consider it more a lifestyle change than a diet. My doctor was impressed when I sent to see him at the end of December because I had already lost about 7 pounds between when I started and 12/30 and that was over Christmas!

Good luck to all!:)

No earth shattering tips or tricks, just eating below 1600 calories and 50-75 carbs (total, not net...net carbs are between 20-40) with a focus on fat (I don't worry about saturated fat, but avoid trans-fat and vegetable oils) and protein. Do you log your food? MyFitnessPal, spark People and Fitday are all good options for keeping track. As far as meals go, I don't eat any grains...at all. No rice, no wheat, no flour, no corn. No flour, no bread, no pasta, no tortillas. No potatoes. Limited amounts of beans. Limited amounts of fruit. Not as strict as Atkins induction. Not quite Paleo (I might consider myself 90% Primal though) because I do like my cheese and heavy cream and also avoid honey due to the diabetes. Bread sub - I use lettuce to wrap sandwiches and burgers. Occasionally I make "cloud bread", especially if I want a hotdog because a hotdog just isn't the same without a bun. http://whatsfordinner-momwhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/2012/06/gluten-free-grain-free-cloud-bread.html Or I make a muffin in a minute, which is very good shaped in a square container, split and toasted http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/453964-low-carb-muffin-in-a-minute Pasta sub - I use shredded zucchini (buy yourself a spiral slicer or julienne peeler) or spaghetti squash. My husband is Sicilian and I though giving up pasta was going to be a huge problem and I'd be stuck constantly making two meals. However, he absolutely loves the zucchini. The nice thing is that you can grow your own in the summer very very easily (and still have enough left over to share with neighbors) Rice was never a big deal for me, but if I need a sub, grated cauliflower works. Cauliflower also works as a sub for potatoes. I don't particularly care for mashed cauliflower (I've never gotten the texture right despite many attempts), but loaded faux-tatoes are really good http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/loaded_cauliflower.html and so is faux-tato salad http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/AnitasLowCarb/media/Low%20Carb%20Recipes/unpotatosalad.jpg.html Rutabagas and turnips make good fries. There are also some commercial low-carb flatbreads and tortillas available. I don't eat them so I don't have a recommendation. Legumes - kidney beans, lentils, garbanzo, etc., etc., - are all really "healthy" but diabetics tend to have a problem with increased BG even with . I LOVE beans, so this was a challenge for me. I can now handle around 1/2 cup servings, but at first I had to stick with a tablespoon or so on salads. Chili and soups need to focus on meats and vegetables instead of beans. Fruits - I really only eat fruits in the summer when they are in season. Fresh berries in small quantities are good. Bananas, grapes, pineapple, cherries and peaches give me problems. Melons are OK as long as I watch portion size. I'll have 1/2 an apple in the fall when they come into season. Have you ever used Pinterest? I keep most of my recipe ideas there http://www.pinterest.com/kdipiazz/ My favorite recipe blogs are http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/ and http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/ I also like http://www.kalynskitchen.com/ which focuses on South Beach recipes. Find an exercise activity you enjoy. I adore Zumba and have been really bummed because i had surgery on 12/30 and can't go back to class until the middle of February. Walk with your kids..or a dog...or both. Water is great.. Swim. Join a water aerobics class. Or just walk around in the water. Ride bikes. Buy a pedometer and set a step goal - I LOVE my Fitbit. It doesn't matter what you do as long as you do it. It doesn't matter how long you can do something when you first start. Set a small goal. Reach that goal and then set a new one. Just keep going. That's the real secret ...don't let a bad meal turn into a bad day. Don't let a bad day turn into a bad week. Don't let a bad week turn into a bad month. Don't let a bad month turn into a bad year ... or years. Just keep going

These are great tips!! Thanks for the insight. :)

You're welcome!

30 pounds, that's great! Don't worry, you'll lose those 14 in no time. And you're right, I've also noticed that when getting back on the wagon it doesn't take long for the weight to come back off.

Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter