Loved the food but the greeting was awful...

MommaNinja

Earning My Ears
I think we were just jinxed with hosts at Kona and O'Hana. We had fabulous meals at both restaurants and I would happily go back again! But, for some reason, the host stands were an issue. Dinner at Kona, we checked in five minutes before our ADR time. The host said we were late and he had to see if there would be a table available. :confused3 luckily a table was available but we were still confused how we were late when we were five minutes early.

We had breakfast at O'Hana on another day and had an ADR right at opening. After sitting for over a half hour watching parties our size be seated who had arrived after us, I went to inquire. Our table had been ready but we weren't paged so they assumed we left (after checking in) and they gave our table away. Luckily, they found another table and we were able to have breakfast.

I think we were just jinxed with hosts at Kona and O'Hana. We had fabulous meals at both restaurants and I would happily go back again! But, for some reason, the host stands were an issue. Dinner at Kona, we checked in five minutes before our ADR time. The host said we were late and he had to see if there would be a table available. :confused3 luckily a table was available but we were still confused how we were late when we were five minutes early.

We had breakfast at O'Hana on another day and had an ADR right at opening. After sitting for over a half hour watching parties our size be seated who had arrived after us, I went to inquire. Our table had been ready but we weren't paged so they assumed we left (after checking in) and they gave our table away. Luckily, they found another table and we were able to have breakfast.

When making ADR's you are asked to check in 15 minutes before an ADR. Maybe that is why you were considered late.
Clearly they made an error for your breakfast ADR. Sorry that happened.

I'm sorry that happened to you. We checked in at Le Cellier 15 mins early & they gave my table away because there was more than 1 Smith party GRRRRR! They quickly sat us though after my friend inquired why we didnt have our table yet....

Another time we got to our ADR exactly on time at Primetime 50s & they told us were were really late & gave away our table & we had to wait 30 mins to be seated. It wasn't a major thing & I'm glad we went but a little annoying....

When making ADR's you are asked to check in 15 minutes before an ADR. Maybe that is why you were considered late.
Clearly they made an error for your breakfast ADR. Sorry that happened.

I don't see anywhere on my ADR confirmations anything about checking in 15mins. early. :confused3

I saw where it said to check in 15 minutes early when made my reservation, but I don't see how they can say you are late if you show up by the time given, otherwise what's the point of the time?

I saw where it said to check in 15 minutes early when made my reservation, but I don't see how they can say you are late if you show up by the time given, otherwise what's the point of the time?

Exactly!! I too did see where it asks you to show up 15 min prior....to nowhere does it say youre considered LATE if you show up right on time. But please correct me if im wrong. I'd email Disney about the problems and see what they say. Theyre VERY good at getting back to ppl who email about issues.

You are not late if you show up at the exact time or 5 minutes before. They say they recommend you show up 15 minutes before to check in. Giving away tables within those 15 minutes is bad practice. I would say 5 minutes after your time it would be acceptable to give away your table. I would have raised a stink!

I would definitely let Disney know about the issue. As a pp said, they do recommend you arriving 15 mins before your appt but in no way should you have been considered late for arriving on time!!! I would have had to say something.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

What did you say to them at Kona when they said you were late? I would have said to explain it to me when I'm here five minutes early:confused3

Giving away a table if you are five minutes late is ridiculous. I realize there has to be a cut off somewhere, but five minutes?

What did you say to them at Kona when they said you were late? I would have said to explain it to me when I'm here five minutes early:confused3

Giving away a table if you are five minutes late is ridiculous. I realize there has to be a cut off somewhere, but five minutes?

Agree 100% the whole thing sounds bizarre, 5 minutes early but you're late?? :confused3

:wizard: We had a breakfast ADR at Kona last week and we actually were late. We had no problem being seated immeditately. We apologized for being late and were told "no problem!" Sorry you had an issue...all of the Poly food service places are usually very accomodating...hopefully, this won't keep you from returning.

Our one visit to 'Ohana we were there VERY early for the first dinner seating (4:30 for a 5pm, I think), and were enjoying looking at the resort. No one was at the podium with whom to check in, though.
About 20 till, other people were standing around, and looking confused also.
About 10 till we were all standing in line, and the line stretched out the doors...still no host at the podium.
Suddenly, at about 4:59, the wait staff started coming to see why no one was seated. Apparently, the host for the evening "no-call, no-showed" and NO ONE NOTICED. Someone filled in, checked us all in, and we were seated by 5:15.
I still can't believe no one caught on before that. I'm thinking that all the seatings that followed waited a good long time.

Our one visit to 'Ohana we were there VERY early for the first dinner seating (4:30 for a 5pm, I think), and were enjoying looking at the resort. No one was at the podium with whom to check in, though.
About 20 till, other people were standing around, and looking confused also.
About 10 till we were all standing in line, and the line stretched out the doors...still no host at the podium.
Suddenly, at about 4:59, the wait staff started coming to see why no one was seated. Apparently, the host for the evening "no-call, no-showed" and NO ONE NOTICED. Someone filled in, checked us all in, and we were seated by 5:15.
I still can't believe no one caught on before that. I'm thinking that all the seatings that followed waited a good long time.

The wait staff must have been like, what the heck is going on! That is kind of funny! Major miscommunication there!

:wizard: We had a breakfast ADR at Kona last week and we actually were late. We had no problem being seated immeditately. We apologized for being late and were told "no problem!" Sorry you had an issue...all of the Poly food service places are usually very accomodating...hopefully, this won't keep you from returning.

We were late for Kona bfast on Tues, (monorail had problem)-- Explained it to them, and we were seated within 2 mins--- they were very nice about it !

Wow. So sorry you had to go through that...:(

Giving away a table if you are five minutes late is ridiculous. I realize there has to be a cut off somewhere, but five minutes?[

I asked the host how it was we were late when our ADR was for 5:40. He looked confused by my question and then managed to find a table. We will eat there again because we really enjoyed the food. I was really surprised by his comment about being late because when talking to a CM at 50's Prime Time, he said they hold ADRs for 20 minutes before releasing them. Maybe that policy varies by restaurant.

It must have been the specific CM working at that time. It is only "recommended" that you show up 15 minutes before your ADR, it is NOT critical that you get there 15 minutes before or you are going to lose your table.

I have read countless amounts of trip reports where people ran very late to their ADR's and the CM at the podiums sat them with no problem. So many people are late daily... stuff happens- buses don't arrive on time, the monorail can stop at any time.. if they gave away every table from a late arrival, there would be a huge problem.

I would have been really annoyed at Ohana!

I asked the host how it was we were late when our ADR was for 5:40. He looked confused by my question ....

Augh, he didn't answer? This will bug me forever. I would have to know what he was thinking. Heck, I *do* have to know what he was thinking. :)

It is also possible that something was wrong with their system, it may have showed a different time, or he was looking at the wrong reservation. Which is why he may have looked confused when you asked how you could be later if your reservation was at a different time then HE thought. It has happened before to people.

As for actually being late... it depends on the restaurant and how busy it is if they will hold your reservation if you are late. Some might... some might not. It is not something to count on and one should always aim to check in 15 minutes before their ADR time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter