Loved One in Hospital-Do You Spend Night?

::yes:: I feel the same way. I only stay in private rooms... I don't feel comfortable with myself to share a room with anyone!

Private rooms aren't always available... In fact the hopsital I was in for my gallbladder surgery didn't even have private matrenity rooms!!! (I did not have any of my 3 kids there thankfully - lol)

I only spend the night when my kids are in hospital. It´s very uncommon around here for people to spend the night with adults, even though they may be on their final stages.

Private rooms aren't always available... In fact the hopsital I was in for my gallbladder surgery didn't even have private matrenity rooms!!! (I did not have any of my 3 kids there thankfully - lol)

They are not available at the hospitals around here, in fact my friend gave birth and shared a room with THREE other women, that was BAD!!

My uncle passed away a few weeks ago, and while his family attempted to stay with him, he shooed them away. He said it was bad enough knowing he was dying, without having their glum faces staring at him the whole time!

He was really a character - my uncle...

Anyway, I'm sure there are a lot of factors to consider; the hospital policy, the reason the patient is there, other obligations, and what the patient wants themselves.

With our first child, my husband stayed the night, but by the time the third one came along, I just told him to go home and finish the laundry so I wouldn't have to when I got there!

When i was younger, i had surgery when i was 8, 15, and 16..my mom stayed overnight each time. When i was 8, she didnt leave my side the whole time. For the last 2 surgeries, i needed someone to help me everytime i wanted to move (neck surgery) so it was important to have someone there.

When mom had surgery a year or so ago, we left every night and came back first thing in the morning

When I had my surgery DH spent every night in my private room on the fold out chair. He said the bed was confortable. He would leave in the morning and go home to get cleaned up etc. and then return to the hospital. I did not need his help but I really enjoyed having him there.

Oh goodness...I am crying. Please don't beat yourself up...your Mom knew that you loved her so much.:hug: I will stay with any family member that is hospitalized and hopefully I won't ever meet any resistance b/c I would hate to open a can of whoop butt...lol

Thank you for the support. Half of it is hindsight and not wanting to believe at the time that she was dying. The other half was my DH working and not having anyone to watch my two little ones so I could be there more.

When I had my 1st three children, DH didn't stay, but he did stay when I had my c/s with the twins (I had a private room each time). I've never heard of adults staying over with adults - I've been in the hospital a few times, and DH had to leave at a certain time (which is fine by me - I don't want someone else's DH in there either).

March 8th, my dh is scheduled for a kidney transplant. I plan on staying the night as much as the hopsital allows. We have requested a private room but wont know for sure until that morning if he gets one. I rented a townhouse for the week following surgery so I wont have to go home for showers, clothes and etc. It is right across the street from the hospital. Otherwise I'd have an hour commute several times a day if not more.

My inlaws are coming in town to help with my boys and they will all stay in the townhouse too. What a blessing this is having their help. Dh is expected to stay in the hospital 3 weeks.

::yes:: I feel the same way. I only stay in private rooms... I don't feel comfortable with myself to share a room with anyone!
I don't want to share my bathroom with then either.

BTW DH was not planning on staying the night, but the nurse came in and asked if he wanted her to make up his bed. She encouraged him to stay. Since we lived 45 minutes away from the hospital he stayed. This hospital is all private rooms. There were only 6 rooms in my area. The nurses were extremely prompt when I needed them.

March 8th, my dh is scheduled for a kidney transplant. I plan on staying the night as much as the hopsital allows. We have requested a private room but wont know for sure until that morning if he gets one. I rented a townhouse for the week following surgery so I wont have to go home for showers, clothes and etc. It is right across the street from the hospital. Otherwise I'd have an hour commute several times a day if not more.

My inlaws are coming in town to help with my boys and they will all stay in the townhouse too. What a blessing this is having their help. Dh is expected to stay in the hospital 3 weeks.
You have a great plan. I hope all goes well with your DH.

I was raised in a family that did not stay at the hospital when a loved one was in...

I was a little upset with my Mom for not staying with my Dad when he was in the hospital for the last time. I did not want him to pass by himself and I was a single Mom at the time and could not stay...my brothers and sisters did not stay either for one reason or another. Luckily, Dad waited for Mom and I to be there and I held his hand when he passed on. I truly think he waited for me.

I would try to stay if DF was in the hospital, depending on the situation with my son...if my son was in, I think I would be there.

I can't even imagine that. All the hospitals around here have gone private... I actually don't think I've ever shared a room! But the thought kinda weirds me out :/

But that is due to a child. They are staying over because of the baby. They also stay over here for that too. If it is just an adult getting surgury or being sick then no one stays overnight. Exceptions of course of the adult is dying and only has days to live. When I had my 3 kids, I sent everyone home at night, including DH. It was so nice to have the time to bond with the baby and not have to talk to anyone else. I had a private room with each kid too. They are quite common here. Our hospital only has private rooms that you do everything in from labor, delivery, and recovery. Comes with a daybed for the husband or SO. I still sent him home. LOL!

Are you speaking of Anne Arundel Medical center by any chance? I wish we lived here when I gave birth to my kids! Anyway...when my friend had her third child there recently, her hubby AND two other kids also roomed with her overnight. No way would I be up for that. They don't bring in extra beds either, so the kids were in bed with her. I can't believe the hospital allowed it.

One of us has stayed with our children if they were in the hospital. DD had surgery a few years ago and the nurses couldn't have been nicer. They brought up a cot and told me where I could shower and arranged for me to purchase a meal tray. We were an hour from home when she needed emergency surgery and I could have stayed with my parents but I didn't want to leave her.

DH stayed with me after our children were born. I loved it. He was a big help and it was wonderful to have him there.

Someone also stayed with my brother at various times when he was terminal with colon cancer. He had told us how nights were the worst and he would lay awake and think about dying and he felt really lonely. He said it felt good just to look over and know someone was there.:sad1:

All of the above situations were private rooms. I have never been in a hospital that had anything else. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter