Love that special services number...

silvergoldberry

My favorite word is Magic
Hi Gang!

We're headed to Beach Club this Monday Feb 9. We had a 6 day trip scheduled back in December, but Jack ended up in the ER the night before. he was stabilized, admitted in the hospital and told me to go ahead, so I did. With the promise that if there was a bounceback, I would book it.

So I did. Before leaving Beach Club on Dec 19 I called and booked 2/9 to 2/12. I specified that we would be renting a hospital bed and roll in shower chair. I called again before the end of Dec to try to tweak some dates, check out other resorts.

And again during those phone calls I specified the hospital bed rental, rolling shower rental and the need for the roll in shower.

Then earlier this week...7 days from arrival, I called Beach CLub to verify again. I was told we had requested a first floor. I said what about the roll in shower? She said "I'll add that to your reservation, but there is no guarantee." I almost blew a stack as I explained that Jack is confined to a wheelchair, we have a bed and shower chair coming and he absolutely needs that handicapped accessible room!

I was just getting around to checking the boards before packing and noticed the thread Sue posted about the Special needs booking on the WDW website. I had a hunch I better call special services directly and I'm glad I did.

They didn't have the hospital bed and shower chair on my reservation, but added them. She said a roll in room was blocked off for us now.

Phew!

And Thanks to Sue and the rest of the gang who do such a great job on these Disabilities Boards!

I'll post about the bed and shower chair rental when I get back.

Hi and :welcome: to disABILITIES!

We all help because that's what we're paid supposed to do.

And if you haven't done so yet, click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information.

Or, if you want an easier route, click on the link in my signature.

What you posted is a good reminder of what can happen on trips. I hope everything turns out ok. I am glad to help people and it is a joy to see that the stuff I tell people works. I await the rest of your trip reports.

My only pay is the knowledge that I and other people who post on this board are able to help people and nice things like this that people post when they have found the help they need here.

I hope everything works out for your trip.

Also, you didn't post whether you are staying at Beach Club Resort or Beach Club Villas.
If it's the Villas and they can't find your special needs information when you check in, ask if there is another computer they can check. Unless they have changed since October, the computer that the Special Needs information is in is not the same one you check in on.

It's the Beach Club Resort so hopefully it will all be just fine and dandy when we check in. :cool1:

I'll be sure to report back on how things go.

Thanks again!

Confirms my thought that DRC doesn't do anything about inputting special needs. It is a total farce and makes it harder on people with handicaps and their families.

Confirms my thought that DRC doesn't do anything about inputting special needs. It is a total farce and makes it harder on people with handicaps and their families.

I think they must be inconsistent.

After I called in the Fall to book the December trip, I RECEIVED a call from special services a few days later making sure that they had everything in the reservation regarding our needs. I was so impressed that they called me. The person who took that reservation must have done something right.

But this last time, it seemed no matter how often I mentioned it, (it was at least 3 different phone calls) the info never got to the right people until I called Special Services directly.

For my money, it's worth the direct phone call to special services. But you are right, it does make it harder on us.

So glad to read about a number to call. We were just there for a week and the special cleaning that was supposed to be done for my son never got done. He is a severe asthmatic and was born without an immune system so it made for a horrible start to our trip. Now I know for planning our next trip there is another number to call. This was my first time reading this forum, boy am I glad I did.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter