LOVE or HATE FP+ Anyone's mind been changed ??

edk35

DIS Veteran
We are going on our 2nd trip in two months under the new system. I have stayed away from the FP+ threads for quite some time and was wondering what people think now that FP+ has been around a while. I was just booking FP's last night made my BRAIN HURT. :sick: I booked a few of our 9 day trip but I am still not a fan. SO I am still in the HATE them category. :rolleyes1 Just wished we could book MORE ahead of time at MK. That to me is the park that you need more and YES I know you can get the 4th, and 5th and so on at the kiosks but there was really nothing good left to choose from. I also KNOW that no one is forcing me to even book FP's but the standby option for the headliners is not gonna happen either. I am OLD SCHOOL I guess and loved the old system. :rolleyes:

We've done two trips with FP+ so far, including a 10 day trip earlier this month, after about 100 visits with the old system. Lol. We were total FP experts, so I was nervous about how FP+ would work for us. I totally love it. It works very well for us. We tend to visit during less crowded times of year and always do rope drop. We hit the big headliners at rope drop with no waits, then use our FP+ times to ride those again later after we've done all the secondary things on our list. Once we figured out how to really work the system and take advantage of it in a way that worked with our touring style, it was great! Much less running around than the old system, which I like. Also like the ability to sleep late if we want to and still do the major attractions without having to worry they will be out of FPs later in the day, like under the old system. MDE, Magic Bands, FP+ have all worked perfectly for us. No complaints.

I didn't hate it before going, but I was very afraid because of all the "I hate FP" talk here. After going through it, I didn't like the stress and level of research/planning in advance, but in the parks it worked pretty well for me.

I don't *love* it. . To increase to a love status, I'd have had to be able to never experience trouble using the MDE app in the parks and either be able to book a 4th on my phone or have easier access to kiosks without lines. I didn't have significant problems with these items to cause complaint, I just can't say "love it"

Overall I went from "afraid/dislike" during planning to "imperfect but useful free tool" after a trip.

Still dislike.

I really miss the loss of the clean slate every morning.

Even though I plan, we still do a lot of moving things around once we get there due to various reasons, some out of our control, and that is much harder to do now.

I used it once last April and will try again this April. But I intensly dislike FP+. I feel overscheduled on vacation. I do not want to use my phone and access an app while I'm on vacation. I do that enough at work. It makes me feel like I must rigidly stick to some kind of agenda that I created 2 months before my trip. This may not be the reality, but it's the mindset I have with FP+. If I feel this way after my next trip, I will not be returning to WDW. I just hope they don't try "improving" DLR with this abomination!

There are aspects that are good..like sleeping in if you want to do some big headliners later in the day I guess. I just hate the planning 60 days out, trying to make sure it all works out with ADR's too. Plus we are meeting up with friends who will be there the same time and trying to coordinate stuff to do together. JUST TOO MUCH PLANNING. I also like to save my FP's for another park later in the day or at night when we go to AK at rope drop. I feel like you don't need them there.

Still hate them.

We've ended up adding more days and spending significantly less time in the parks on any given day. For us FP+ resulted in less rides each day anyway, whether we're in the parks the whole time or not. We're lucky enough to be able to add extra days for repeat rides.

Probably just what Disney wanted from us... :)

I'm still on the fence about it. If you had asked me last Wednesday if i liked it, I would have been yelling No at you. We have been 3 times on FP+, the one coming up being #4, and I had no problems with it. I loved it, seamless perfection.

Until I logged in to the MDE app earlier this week to find several items missing including all our FP+. We also lost 1 ADR and the others had switched the party members and one of our Annual Passes seemed to dissapear from the system. Well, after 2 hours on the phone with Disney, I had managed to get all our ADRs back to the way they were. We confirmed that the annual pass still exists in their system and we got nearly all our FP+ selections back. We had originally had A&E, fantasy parade, and 7DMT for MK but were only able to get the parade and mine train back.

So I quickly switched from I love it, to a maybe because on the old system, I didnt have a chance to cry about missing FP till after I got in the park lol.

After going through it, I didn't like the stress and level of research/planning in advance, but in the parks it worked pretty well for me.

The above is how I felt as well, except that we did not find it working well for us in the parks (I mean, our bands worked, but FP+ availability to change FP+ around was not good at all, and we had little luck with kiosks).

So overall, I don't love it, I don't hate it. I am very "meh" on it. I use it because I know that having it for at least those 3 rides is worth it - 3 less standby lines is never a bad thing. But, it was only DH and I and a friend on this trip - all adults, all wanting to do the same things. I'm much more concerned about our Nov 2015 trip, which will have 9 people - including a 3 y/o, almost 6 y/o, and a 9 y/o - along with parents and grandparents. Given the lack of flexibility we found with just 3 adults, I'm concerned trying to use FP+ to plan with such a range of interests is going to be annoying.I'm actually considering using Dreams Unlimited solely to get their help in working out how best to use the FP+s.

I hated it initially and I still hate having to plan so far in advance but during the busy season, it really was beneficial. It is good to know that I can get 3 FPs on the biggest attractions on a really busy day. We were there on MLK weekend when it was busier that I've ever seen it (no, I haven't been Christmas week) and I felt like we were able to get on everything we wanted with minimal waits. I saw TSMM at 180 minutes, TestTrack at 150 and even IASW was at 70 min at one point. My best advice during the busy season is still to get there at rope drop, bang out a few attractions before 10:30 or so, then have your FP+ attractions from 10:30 - 2PMish. After this point either see what else you can still get for a 4th FP+ or stick to shows or lesser attractions. Not having to rush to get FPs at rope drop helps my feet later in the day too.

I still wouldn't say I love FP+, but after two trips using it, I'm starting to warm up to it.

I'm still on the fence about it. If you had asked me last Wednesday if i liked it, I would have been yelling No at you. We have been 3 times on FP+, the one coming up being #4, and I had no problems with it. I loved it, seamless perfection.

Until I logged in to the MDE app earlier this week to find several items missing including all our FP+. We also lost 1 ADR and the others had switched the party members and one of our Annual Passes seemed to dissapear from the system. Well, after 2 hours on the phone with Disney, I had managed to get all our ADRs back to the way they were. We confirmed that the annual pass still exists in their system and we got nearly all our FP+ selections back. We had originally had A&E, fantasy parade, and 7DMT for MK but were only able to get the parade and mine train back.

So I quickly switched from I love it, to a maybe because on the old system, I didnt have a chance to cry about missing FP till after I got in the park lol.

Except with legacy every day was a clean slate. You didn't lose FP's unless they dropped out of your pocket. Now it's a virtual loss, and you have no control over what happens.

We've ended up adding more days and spending significantly less time in the parks on any given day. For us FP+ resulted in less rides each day anyway, whether we're in the parks the whole time or not. We're lucky enough to be able to add extra days for repeat rides.

Probably just what Disney wanted from us... :)

:thumbsup2

Same for us - must just be an Austin thing, huh? :)

I think that's the biggest part of it for me as well.

Love having a clean slate every morning to do whatever we want now with FP+. BY FAR THE BEST THING ABOUT FP+.

We can RD any park we want, or do any non park activities we want.

Thought we would Love FP+, turns out we LOVE FP+. :dance3:

We're staying offsite and have to go during a busy time so I definitely hate it. Trying to narrow down choices at MK is hard and I also would prefer to not be so scheduled way ahead of time.

Hi. First post here and we just got back a few weeks ago. I read a lot of threads on these forums in preparation of our trip but didn't post because I did not want to get beat up for having something negative to say about the FastPass system.

Making the reservations in advance was both nice but tedious. Since we stayed off-site and started making reservations at 30 days some of the things we wanted to do weren't available. Yes they might have become available at some point but then it seemed rather silly to be logging in every day looking for those. I spend less effort grocery shopping but come home with a lot more.

The nice part? Having 3 things we didn't have to wait in line for. The bad part? Only having 3 things we didn't have to wait in line for. The rest of the attractions did seem to have longer lines then we remembered from past visits even though the crowds were about the same. We didn't feel like we accomplished a lot each day.

One mistake we might have made was that we didn't make our reservations for later in the day or night, so we were always standing in lines after 2pm and anything left in the kiosk was for silly things we didn't want to do anyway.

I'm not passionate enough about Disney World to "love" or "hate" anything, but it sure was different this time and I don't know if I want to spend that much money again on what we felt like was so little.

Hi. First post here and we just got back a few weeks ago. I read a lot of threads on these forums in preparation of our trip but didn't post because I did not want to get beat up for having something negative to say about the FastPass system.

Making the reservations in advance was both nice but tedious. Since we stayed off-site and started making reservations at 30 days some of the things we wanted to do weren't available. Yes they might have become available at some point but then it seemed rather silly to be logging in every day looking for those. I spend less effort grocery shopping but come home with a lot more.

The nice part? Having 3 things we didn't have to wait in line for. The bad part? Only having 3 things we didn't have to wait in line for. The rest of the attractions did seem to have longer lines then we remembered from past visits even though the crowds were about the same. We didn't feel like we accomplished a lot each day.

One mistake we might have made was that we didn't make our reservations for later in the day or night, so we were always standing in lines after 2pm and anything left in the kiosk was for silly things we didn't want to do anyway.

I'm not passionate enough about Disney World to "love" or "hate" anything, but it sure was different this time and I don't know if I want to spend that much money again on what we felt like was so little.

We felt a lot of these same thing last Aug. We could only book 30 days out because part of our trip was at Shades of Green and we booked after the 60 day window anyway. We felt like we too did far less than in previous years. Spring break should prove interesting because we first used this new system in early Aug. last year. It will be far more crowded this time. I hated seeing longer rides for Pirates, Haunted Mansion and even Small World oh and SPACESHIP EARTH too. Those were the attractions that never had long waits.

To answer the original question, so far I’m still just in the planning stages and can honestly say that I’m not a fan of FP+. The research involved up until now has been frustrating. The fact that I have to research so much is even more frustrating.
Still dislike.

Even though I plan, we still do a lot of moving things around once we get there due to various reasons, some out of our control, and that is much harder to do now.

I think that's the biggest part of it for me as well.

Love having a clean slate every morning to do whatever we want now with FP+. BY FAR THE BEST THING ABOUT FP+.

We can RD any park we want, or do any non park activities we want.

Thought we would Love FP+, turns out we LOVE FP+. :dance3:

Clean slate meaning no appointments made for the day, except for perhaps an ADR. No pre-made ride appointments to schedule around. A non-restrictive way to go about the day and with the ability to make last minute changes as needed (without losing valuable headliner ride appointments). Just like when Disney had Legacy FP…

I posted this on another thread:

With Legacy we could have a loose plan, a more structured plan, or no plan at all. When the unexpected happened, such as the weather changing, we could change our days on the fly. No big deal. With Legacy we had a clean slate every day while at Disney. The freedom this provided cannot be overstated.

FP+ ride appointments do not equate at all to a clean slate. Going at RD and maximizing the first hour or two before FP+ appointments kick in is also not a clean slate. Clean slate to me = no ride appointments before the day of= Legacy FP= freedom.

To answer the original question, so far I’m still just in the planning stages and can honestly say that I’m not a fan of FP+. The research involved up until now has been frustrating. The fact that I have to research so much is even more frustrating.

Clean slate meaning no appointments made for the day, except for perhaps an ADR. No pre-made ride appointments to schedule around. A non-restrictive way to go about the day and with the ability to make last minute changes as needed (without losing valuable headliner ride appointments). Just like when Disney had Legacy FP…

I posted this on another thread:

With Legacy we could have a loose plan, a more structured plan, or no plan at all. When the unexpected happened, such as the weather changing, we could change our days on the fly. No big deal. With Legacy we had a clean slate every day while at Disney. The freedom this provided cannot be overstated.

FP+ ride appointments do not equate at all to a clean slate. Going at RD and maximizing the first hour or two before FP+ appointments kick in is also not a clean slate. Clean slate to me = no ride appointments before the day of= Legacy FP= freedom.

Opposite for us, clean slate means we have the FP+ for late afternoon and/or early evening.

This leaves every morning and afternoon a clean slate. If its great weather-we may hit Clearwater Beach or a water park-maybe RD AK for a sunny Safari, if its cloudy we might fish or golf. If we stay out super late we may just sleep in and have lunch at the pool. One day we will decide to hit US/IOA and be back for an evening at DHS.

FREEDOM=Not having to hit the parks every single morning to obtain FP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqNZcBgWSxs

I was wondering what people think now that FP+ has been around a while. I was just booking FP's last night made my BRAIN HURT. :sick: I booked a few of our 9 day trip but I am still not a fan. SO I am still in the HATE them category. :rolleyes1 Just wished we could book MORE ahead of time at MK. That to me is the park that you need more and YES I know you can get the 4th, and 5th and so on at the kiosks but there was really nothing good left to choose from. I also KNOW that no one is forcing me to even book FP's but the standby option for the headliners is not gonna happen either. I am OLD SCHOOL I guess and loved the old system. :rolleyes:

It's been a long journey to get here. Many battles waged on the Dis. :) I've gone to DL quite a few times, WDW twice under FP-, and have to say we picked up in about 5 minutes how to optimally use the old system. Just by being observant, and watching what other ppl do, we were able to get on a lot of rides in very little time.

When FP+ came out, my initial reaction was that it was going to be fantastic. It's just FP-, but electronic, and done by your phone instead of with paper-printing-jamming machines. This could only be good right? Until I started thinking about how the new system worked. It was really designed from the ground up, to work against people like me... who would get there early, queue up a bunch of FP- tickets, and then use them later in the day to fly thru ride after ride while everyone else stood around. By design, FP+ takes all of my excessive FP-'s that I got, and instead ensures that everyone in the world can pick 3 before I'll even get a shot at a 4th. And in practice, it does that. So then I started thinking it would be bad... i.e. ride some things at rope drop, ride a few more via FP+, and then that would be it.

But then we went in 2014, and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised.

Like with FP-, it was quick to figure out how to do better than the average guest by being resourceful. Then you have the flexibility to pull tickets well in advance of your trip. And, you can pick your return window, something you never could do with FP-. This allowed me to plan useful FP's instead of being stuck with whatever would be available that day.

This would give us a typical day with 3-5 really useful things planned in a day! Like we'd have the 3 rides, maybe an ADR, maybe an event like BBB, P&P, or PL. When you think about it, doing 5 major things like that during what would have been the busiest part of the day is pretty amazing.

So then we looked at just how much time we'd spend waiting for FP- tickets before. Like, to get a TSMM FP- ticket, you had to wait in the FP- line for it first, which got you into the line 20 min later, which meant that first riding took you 30 min instead of 10, which meant your 2nd ride took you then 40 min instead of 20, so pulling that first FP- ticket for a TSMM return window around 11 or 12 or whatever you get, cost you easily 40 min of time in the park. Now, you book that ticket from home, and have 40 min to spare. And if you wanted to do JTA, you were just plain stuck. Then, you couldn't do the rope-drop of the TSMM ticket, and ride... instead you'd have to do JTA, then get over to TSMM in time to get a late day return window and long line built up.

The time spent picking FP tickets from home is one of the biggest benefits -- that you have really slashed a big chunk of time out of ones' day which would have been spent pulling FP- tickets before. Ppl say they have to plan from home... but really, if you want to pull tickets same-day at a kiosk, you can, but now you have the option to pick from home, thereby saving yourself massive amounts of time in the park!

That really impacted us.

Before, a day at EC would have been like us running to Soarin, pulling a ticket then getting in line, then waiting for its window to open, but running over to TT, to hover at the kiosks there till our window to Soarin would open... then pulling that ticket for later in the day, then running back to Soarin, then crossing back to TT... all up, we were able to do a lot... but much time was spent in FP- lines. Now, our day would look like... show up, ride Soarin, then... ENJOY. We'd just do whatever. There was no pressure to go pull that next ticket. We could ride Soarin a 2nd time if we wanted. Just wait standby. The line isn't bad at that time, and you're already out of the 1st riding quicker than you would have been under FP- cuz you didn't do the ticket line first.

So we'd enjoy our breakfast, knowing our next 3 rides were already ticketed. Or we'd go on Soarin again. Or LWTL. Or whatever. Under FP- at this time we'd be crossing the park to stand in line for a FP- ticket. Since we're not doing that, doing anything else local to the Soarin pavilion is a bonus.

This is where the real savings comes in... It changes the flow at WDW from going from ticket booth to ticket booth seeing what rides you could schedule, to getting 3 in advance, and then enjoying the time saved by not having to pull them in the park.

All up, I felt like we were A) able to get on just as much via FP+ as we did via FP-... and B) do so in more of a vacation style with less moving around and more free time on our hands.

Now I can see that for some who have come to look at their FP- strategy as wonderful, and is "how they did a Disney vacation", this is not going to be good... Because it really does change how one gets on a lot of rides, and the perception of doing less, cuz you're not always looking for that next ticket to pull. It's like when you give ppl their tickets in advance, they don't know what to do w their extra time. They might talk about having to shop or whatever, but with time that previously they would have had to go get their next ticket. Also, we're into tech. If someone is just not, then this is not going to be an attractive system. It does require some computer and phone usage.

Anyways... by being flexible and taking advantage of the FP+ and looking at when you really are saving time, I think it can be beneficial. It is certainly more efficient... The actual act of pulling tickets, the paper / mechanical process of printing them, the conservation aspect of not spewing ink and tickets, and bringing the parks into the digital age are all great.

Those are all tangential benefits tho. To me, the real benefit was being able to do as much as before but having a more relaxed vacation. That's all that really matters, right? Does it get the results. To us, it did. It just felt like we spent less effort getting on the rides with more time enjoying. We'll have our second test later this year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter