Love Bugs

ToyStory3

DIS Veteran
I have heard that the love bugs are there now. As I recall they only last a couple weeks, correct? We are headed down on Saturday. Hoping we miss them.

I have heard that the love bugs are there now. As I recall they only last a couple weeks, correct? We are headed down on Saturday. Hoping we miss them.

Correct. They are not a big deal in my opinion.

The biggest problem would be if you are driving your own car. When you hit them, you will want to wash your car after you leave the area as soon as you can. They can damage your paint and chrome. Otherwise they are just a nuisance- they don't bite, just annoy you.
Sarah

I live here and I have seen a few, but definitely not a big deal. This is coming from someone that hates bugs.

I have a pale yellow house which is a magnet when " love is in the air " ;) this particular go around ( they show up twice a year ) has been extremely light. I can actually sit outside and read a book without being bothered. Nothing on the light silver car either. No worries :thumbsup2

They were there last week but def not as bad as I had seen them the past Sept, they are harmless, but annoying.

Correct. They are not a big deal in my opinion.

I'm about 90 minutes northwest of you. Around here we had a couple of days last year that were of Old Testament proportions; I was driving to Savannah on one of those days and stopped to clean the windshield 3 times in an hour. I would have tapped out of a park day like that for sure, but fortunately those days are rare.

Those of you not familiar, imagine tiny floating bags of foul smelling wet cement of the quick dry variety, designed to bond instantly to your car paint.

Oh, they are cute, admit it. Little weird bugs that are stuck together at their butts for no real reason. I told my DH that next year we should costume as the bugs - but it would require a LOT of velcro.

You do have to clean your car because they will wreck the finish. They just started appearing in the last few weeks.

We were there last week and they were AWFUL at the AKL pool. But, we didn't notice them anywhere else. They are harmless, but annoying when they are in swarms!

If you are on property they are the worst at the Coronado Springs. There is nothing the resort can do about it, but they made sitting by the pool miserable, and they covered the bus stop area so thickly you couldn't sit down. It was disgusting.

We're hoping they are all gone by early October. The last week of September always seems to be the worst.

Read over the years that May is also season for love bugs?:confused3:Is it just September or does it spill into October? TIA!:goodvibes

Read over the years that May is also season for love bugs?:confused3:Is it just September or does it spill into October? TIA!:goodvibes

Yes... they come out in force semi-annually. Once around April/May and once in September. The exact timing is dependent can vary depending on weather conditions.

The results of the love bugs flying around now is their children will feed on decaying vegetation so, unless we all want to see and smell all the vegetation just sitting there and not getting processed, the love bugs are, well, go see It's Tough to be a Bug. Love bugs are beneficial to speeding up decay going away so us humans aren't offended by all that. The kid love bugs will hatch in about 4 days and then live for a whopping 9 months at most. Hence, the two cycles a year. The only harm in love bugs is the acidic nature of their blood which, surprising, is a result of their small bodies trying to ward off predators.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter