Love bugs

I had no idea about these things...we'll be there 2 weeks from today, and I have a DS who has ASD and has huge anxiety over bugs. Is this something that will be really bad when we're there, and therefore I need to start preparing him for it now? If I talk to him, show him videos of them, get him good and ready, it might not be so bad. He'll still freak a bit, but not as badly.

Thanks!

They are completely harmless but just as irritating, especially around the pools, etc. They do not bite or sting AT ALL but if you swat them & kill them they leave a black greasy smear that is tough to clean off. It's horrible all over the front of my van each season.

They have a short life cycle & a short season but when they are at the height of their season they are EVERYWHERE!

We didn't see any last week during our trip but they could show up anytime!

Last time I was there was 2010 in the beginning of Sept at Corondo. They were everywhere all over the bus stop the hotel door bad BUT I didn't notice them in the parks at all. So you might want to explain them to him just in case but they are harmless and don't bite at all. I never even had one try to fly towards me. We always just stood away from them when we waited for a bus and gently swiped the door when we got back.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

They are completely harmless but just as irritating, especially around the pools, etc. They do not bite or sting AT ALL but if you swat them & kill them they leave a black greasy smear that is tough to clean off. It's horrible all over the front of my van each season.

They have a short life cycle & a short season but when they are at the height of their season they are EVERYWHERE!

We didn't see any last week during our trip but they could show up anytime!

Thanks guys, unfortunately, he's terrified of all bugs, including flies and ants. Doesn't matter if they bite or sting...he fears them all! It's almost comical, except for the fact that he's literally paralyzed with fear. I will start by talking to him about them and maybe move up to some videos online so he's a little more prepared, but I have a feeling he will want to stay away from the pools this trip.

Anyone know if they are bad at Wilderness Lodge? We arrive Saturday and this is my first visit in September. Not a fan of bugs either.

Anyone know if they are bad at Wilderness Lodge? We arrive Saturday and this is my first visit in September. Not a fan of bugs either.

Love Bugs are not regulated to a resort and basically blanket the southeast this time of year. They started really rolling in last week.

As others have said, they are harmless to you, but can mess your clothes if you try and kill them. All you need to do is flick them off or grab them and pull them off.

What you will need to be careful for is keeping the room door open, especially if you have a balcony. They will fly in, and die shortly thereafter. Again, no harm, you'll just have dead bugs all over your room.

If you're driving, as soon as you arrive (before you check in), run your car through a car wash.

ScionLoveBugs2010May.jpg

Just lovely!

I watched the video someone posted on page two and they reporter said the love bugs happen in the spring...and that in the fall the only "love bug" you'll see at Disney is Herbie the Love Bug...so why are they in Florida now?

Went to Mackinaw City in May and we were swarmed everywhere by "midges." Like the love bugs they don't bite or sting at all, but they were everywhere and just so annoying. :(

Not looking forward to having to deal with them next week, if they're as bad as everyone says. :(

Just lovely!

I watched the video someone posted on page two and they reporter said the love bugs happen in the spring...and that in the fall the only "love bug" you'll see at Disney is Herbie the Love Bug...so why are they in Florida now?

(

They are particularly bad in September/October in the entire Southeast, but especially Florida. I don't know why any reporter would have said that.

Southeast Alabama here --- and the love bugs are swarming. Be prepared to wash your car after you drive through heading into Florida.

In Tampa and right now not too bad. No need to wash your car after short trips but they are here

We just got back and saw a bunch of them smashed on cars, but very few flying around. :thumbsup2

Here now and I've seen a few. Had a couple land on me these last few days but nothing too bad.

I'm more concerned with whatever it is that keeps biting me. Don't think they are mosquitos, but not sure. I haven't seen any, but something has got me a couple times, so I'd wear bug spray to at least Epcot and AK. One cast member came over and showed me her legs where she was covered in bites, and love bugs don't bite.

We are going Oct 5-12. Will they be gone by then? If not does it help to wear bug spray to keep them away from you?

We are local (as in live in Orlando, although closer to Cocoa Beach). They seem to be dying off in the last day or so. We have been blowing off our driveway with more dead ones than washing the cars off. I'm guessing in the next few days they will be gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter