Lots of Resales Out There

Disneybuckeye

DIS Veteran
IMHO there seems to be a lot of contracts out on The Timeshare Store Website. Is this typical for January or us everyone dumping to buy Poly?

IMHO there seems to be a lot of contracts out on The Timeshare Store Website. Is this typical for January or us everyone dumping to buy Poly?

Whatever is going on, nobody seems to be dumping BLT - only one available listing.

It seems like it waxes and wanes throughout the year. It's probably a good time of year to sell so you don't have to pay another year of dues.

I don't think it would be wise to sell your current contract to buy Poly points. In my opinion you're just throwing money away by doing that. It would be better just to buy a small add on contract if you wanted to own at Poly.

Whatever is going on, nobody seems to be dumping BLT - only one available listing.

Tell me about. I just made an offer on a BLT contract last week. Now I wait for ROFR. I currently own at BLT and definitely would love to add on more points there.

I don't think anyone is trying to dump old contracts to get Poly points. I've noticed in the past that Jan & Feb have had in increase in listed contracts (June and July too for some reason) and this year, the Mouse kicked it in high gear by increasing the cost of all existing, direct sale contracts. It looks to me like all the contracts that have come on-line this week are ~$5-$10 more per point than in December.

It seems to happen every year about this time. IMO, it's mostly the shock of the annual dues. It's a reminder to those who aren't as excited about Disney anymore that they still have dues to pay.

I really don't think it's people hoping to dump the older contracts to buy Poly.

the Mouse kicked it in high gear by increasing the cost of all existing, direct sale contracts. It looks to me like all the contracts that have come on-line this week are ~$5-$10 more per point than in December.

I had noticed this trend as well. Interesting to see if it continues. With so many on the market the price should depress slightly.

I had noticed this trend as well. Interesting to see if it continues. With so many on the market the price should depress slightly.

It seems it almost doesn't matter what the pricing is.... all that matters is what Disney will let through. Disney really controlls the entire process. If they want the price to increase for resale, all they have to do is rofr anything under what they want it to sell for. Not that they will, but they certainly could.

I don't think you can have any active reservations when you sell. Since oct-dec are the busiest months it makes sense that people take a trip then list their contract after the reservations have been completes

This would be a good time to list, people will be getting their tax refunds in the near future. I bought my contracts in the winter months mainly because I had a little extra money, I was getting stir crazy from the Vermont winters and I had some extra time on my hands.

I don't think you can have any active reservations when you sell. Since oct-dec are the busiest months it makes sense that people take a trip then list their contract after the reservations have been completes
You can list and even sell. You just can't close. Which is y a few even say closing after a certain date.

Some decide to sell this time of year because they are not using it and recently paid dues. Amazing what people decide to let collect dust until they receive a bill for it.

It seems to happen every year about this time. IMO, it's mostly the shock of the annual dues. It's a reminder to those who aren't as excited about Disney anymore that they still have dues to pay.
This. The resale process is generally driven by larger economic trends, but there is also an annual cycle at play, with the first quarter of the year having the largest supply (when fees are due) but demand peaking around late spring, as families start planning their summer vacations.

It seems it almost doesn't matter what the pricing is.... all that matters is what Disney will let through. Disney really controlls the entire process. If they want the price to increase for resale, all they have to do is rofr anything under what they want it to sell for. Not that they will, but they certainly could.
They certainly didn't during the Great Recession. Prices dropped significantly. I would not count on Disney riding to the rescue of resale prices if that happens again. And, the buyback price has to be lower than you think to be a good deal for DVD vs. stick-built resorts. A rule of thumb in the timeshare industry is that cost of construction (including land acquisition) should not be more than 20% of the sales price. So, it's better for DVD to build a new resort than to buy points on the secondary market for even 30% of the current sales price. It's also easier to sell shiny new resorts than the older ones.

Instead, I suspect ROFR is driven by the current level of interest Guides have for Members wanting to add on in their sold-out home resorts. When they have demand, they just grab the lowest things they see, because it's a "cheap sale." But, the demand has to be there---they are not actively marketing those resorts.

In 100% agreement with CarolMN. BLT might be getting more love on the resale market because of Poly opening and the high price of the buy-in. I do think that BLT/VGF might get more interest from those not happy with the studio only build, but overall I see that surge short lived.

They certainly didn't [ROFR] during the Great Recession. Prices dropped significantly. I would not count on Disney riding to the rescue of resale prices if that happens again.

yep, disney can't and won't prop up prices if the demand is not there.

and the way ROFR works, it does matter what price people are willing to offer. if i'm the only buyer who is interested and i'm only willing to pay $50 per pt, that would be your only option as a seller. i might get a great deal or disney might take it, but the seller won't get more either way.

I was nervous about selling our contract when I saw the glut out there.

We emailed paperwork to Timeshare Store on Friday to sell 160 BWV points.

Listing was posted on Saturday.

We got an offer and negotiated the price on Sunday.

:)

I'm seeing lots of little indicators that leisure travel demand is continuing to increase---tighter internal availability in Wyndham, smaller spacebank "leftover" volume in RCI, etc. It would not surprise me to see resale prices test the waters a little higher this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter