Lots of rain this week - be prepared!

LOVE the photos! That's what you have to do ... look up and laugh! I personally don't mind Disney in the rain - like others have said, it thins the crowds. The only thing I don't like is being wet and going into a ride that has the AC blowing hard. I get cold easily. A rainy day at Disney is better than a sunny day at home! :thumbsup2

I agree that steady rain (for days) at WDW can be daunting, but it can also be fun. We were also there last year during TS Debby and thought I'd share some pics. We were soaked (and I was cold, hence the sweater) for about 5 days last June, but it didn't slow us down a bit!

love the photos! That's what you have to do ... Look up and laugh! I personally don't mind disney in the rain - like others have said, it thins the crowds. The only thing i don't like is being wet and going into a ride that has the ac blowing hard. I get cold easily. A rainy day at disney is better than a sunny day at home! :thumbsup2

agreed!!!!!!

I love the photos too! I have a lot of pics of us in our ponchos, but never thought to make it a special photo op.

For me, a little rain is ok but a lot of rain is a downer. But as my DH kept telling me - "You can't control the weather." So put on your poncho and try to keep a good attitude. Good luck to those down there now!

Another TS Debbie victim from last year.

We had a great time and the kids had a blast in the rain. Just kept to the plan and brought a change of clothes for our dinner ADR. it really does keep the crowds down and allow you to get more done. It's all in how you look at it. Hope everyone there now was able to enjoy the vacation and hope the weather improves.

It's a beautiful day today!

Yep, we did MK from opening to about noon, had lunch, then the pool from 1:30 to 3:30. We're resting up now to finish up back at MK tonight. Starting our drive home tomorrow. :sad1:

We've had a great trip. Last year with Debby was fun. This year was more fun. Not only because of the weather. As my children grow the trips change and the changes in my ds from last year to this made it sweeter.

we were at the Poly on Wed afternoon, kids enjoying the beach hammocks, when the 'monsoon' like rain arrived, thick and fast. We got soaked before we made it indoors! We had a lovely couple of hours in there, kids playing 'dare' to each other to run a couple of feet outside in the rain! it was quite a novelty for us to experience rain that intense, and we had a drink and watched it through the windows. The staff were handing out the flower garlands to everyone which made my daughter's day.
we were stuck at that hotel for longer than we ideally wanted to be, but it turned out to be lovely under the circumstances.

less lovely was yesterday morning, i wouldn't recommend downtown Disney in bad weather, everyone has the same idea. disney quest got closed due to max capacity and all the quick service eateries were crowded, so we couldn't get lunch and use up our qs credits. definitely avoid this place in bad weather!!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Now that we have the benefit of hindsight, I'd like to hear how much the rain on Wednesday night and Thursday morning impacted the OP's vacation.

We will be there June 4th - June 11th. This is really going to impact our vacation. Lots of rain coming! I've got 12 rain ponchos for the 4 of us this week, hope that's enough!

Well, it's less than two days before and they are still forecasting heavy rains for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thrusday and Friday when we are there. It's more than just typical Florida weather. What can I do?

Look at the weather links below.

Nothing of note Tuesday or Friday, some steady rains Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

My husband just spent the weekend at Comic Con and Peter Mayhew was there! I didn't realize that he was going to WDW for SWW. :)

I will try to do my best with the rain. It looks like it's going to be really bad Wednesday and Thursday. We are there until Tuesday so, we still have some good days in there.

Was it really bad?

No, there really isn't - I've been to Epcot several times and I can see why it would be the worst park in the rain.

Wednesday is our HS day and that day is going to be pretty bad too. The Backlot Tour and Tower of Terror don't even operate in the rain. So, we will miss those too.

They are expecting up to 8 inches of rain this week. That's more than the expected rain fall for all of June in Florida!!!!

This is the most expensive vacation we've ever taken and it's going to be awful!!!

I don't even want to pack, I am so discouraged!!!!!

Did WDW get 8" yet, and was it awful?

Last night at MK was comfortable. I wore my yoga pants and probably could have had a light jacket on. Today the heat was HOT. Looks like the rain was a blessing yesterday.

Now that we have the benefit of hindsight, I'd like to hear how much the rain on Wednesday night and Thursday morning impacted the OP's vacation.

Nothing of note Tuesday or Friday, some steady rains Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

Was it really bad?

Did WDW get 8" yet, and was it awful?

We went to Epcot Thursday, June 6th when it was stormy. It was awful!!!! We had our ponchos on and still managed to get soaked. I bought Crocs upon everyones suggestion and wore them that day. I got horrible blisters which made the rest of my trip alot of fun considering you have to walk everywhere. It was so windy my umbrella inverted itself, flew out of my had and down the World Showcase, we had to really run to catch it. In all of the pictures we looked like drowned rats. They closed Test Track for most of the day, so we couldn't ride that.

Then on Saturday, a huge storm moved in with lots of lighting. We got stranded at the Pirates of the Carribean gift shop for an hour until the lighting subsided somewhat. The rain came down in sheets, they closed most of the rides for hours because it was such a horrible storm.

It was not fun at all, I had miserable vacation, the worst time I ever had. This was the most expensive vacation that we have ever taken and I was miserable the whole time.

Even on the nice days we were miserable, I think all the rain at the beginning of our trip set the tone for ugliness!

We went to Epcot Thursday, June 6th when it was stormy. It was awful!!!! We had our ponchos on and still managed to get soaked. I bought Crocs upon everyones suggestion and wore them that day. I got horrible blisters which made the rest of my trip alot of fun considering you have to walk everywhere. It was so windy my umbrella inverted itself, flew out of my had and down the World Showcase, we had to really run to catch it. In all of the pictures we looked like drowned rats. They closed Test Track for most of the day, so we couldn't ride that.

Then on Saturday, a huge storm moved in with lots of lighting. We got stranded at the Pirates of the Carribean gift shop for an hour until the lighting subsided somewhat. The rain came down in sheets, they closed most of the rides for hours because it was such a horrible storm.

It was not fun at all, I had miserable vacation, the worst time I ever had. This was the most expensive vacation that we have ever taken and I was miserable the whole time.

Even on the nice days we were miserable, I think all the rain at the beginning of our trip set the tone for ugliness!

Wow, that is pretty sad. My cousin's family was there at the same time as you, this was a once in a lifetime trip for them and they had a great time. Sure, they got wet, and might have preferred more sun, but they sure made the most of it and had fun. They don't look like drowned rats in their photos, they look absolutely radiant. Goes to show what a difference a good attitude can make.

Saturday morning until about 3:00 was gorgeous!

We were at EPCOT on Thursday too, it stopped raining just as we got there at about 2pm. We went back to the room for a rest and it rained, but when we came back to EPCOT at 7ish it was dry for the rest of the night.

Sorry you can only remember the negatives of your trip OP. Hopefully that will fade over time!

Sorry to hear you had such a miserable time, even on the nice days. I get the impression this vacation was doomed from the start, rain or shine.

We've been here since June 1st and had a great time. You've got to accept that it's Florida and it rains sometimes. If you go into it thinking the rain will ruin your trip then you are doomed from the start.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We were there June 2 through the 7th. My kids handled the rain way better than the heat, and we had a great time. I look at it this way. When we booked our trip we knew it was the start of hurricane season and the rainiest month. We brought kerns, zip lock bags, and ponchos. There was more dry weather than rain and most days and evenings were lively. Thursday at MK in the rain was our best day. It is what it is. If I was going to get upset about rain and storms, I would not book a trip to Florida in June.

We were there June 2 through the 7th. My kids handled the rain way better than the heat, and we had a great time. I look at it this way. When we booked our trip we knew it was the start of hurricane season and the rainiest month. We brought kerns, zip lock bags, and ponchos. There was more dry weather than rain and most days and evenings were lively. Thursday at MK in the rain was our best day. It is what it is. If I was going to get upset about rain and storms, I would not book a trip to Florida in June.

Keens not kerns and lovely not lively. LOL

Wow, we were there May 31-June 7th. We were at DHS on the 6th when it was stormy. We had our umbrella, but didn’t use it. I kept asking dd if she wanted to take it out, but we were fine in just ponchos. Ds had on a rain jacket. Ds and I wore crocs. Dd had on sneakers and socks because when it rained the day before her feet got cold. I just packed 2 extra pair of socks for her. Then she wished she’d worn her flip-flops (feet too narrow for crocs) so she could splash in puddles with ds. We wore jackets under the ponchos but our clothes stayed dry. The year before when dd did wear a croc type of shoe, I noticed a red spot forming and did some blister prevention and she was fine.

Now granted as I mentioned previously, we are also Tropical Storm Debby survivors (wish they'd made a t-shirt) so that could have contributed to how Andrea did not bother us much. When we were swimming through Debby I started to wonder if it was going to ever stop raining. When the sun came out it hurt my eyes it had been so long since I'd seen it. :rotfl2: I'm still in amazement of how much fun we had even then.

We were there from Thursday the 6th until Monday the 10th. We just donned our ponchos and had a great time! We were at DHS on Saturday and unfortunately the Padawan Mind Challenge at 4:30 got cancelled, but I think we were more disappointed than the kids. The kids were happy to ride Star Tours over and over again, which we did. We had a great time in a fairly empty park late Saturday afternoon and into the evening. Would I have preferred to meet a few more characters? Sure. But we had a blast with the change of plans thanks to the weather.

OP, I'm so sorry about your rainy vacation. A lot of people like to make fun, say it's your attitude, etc. but I know exactly how you feel, because I've been there. It's just a fact, some people enjoy the rain, and being out in it trying to have fun, doesn't bother them. Good for them (and no sarcasm intended, I mean it).

But, we are not those people - we've had a few rained out vacations in the Smoky Mtns. and left early. I can take afternoon storms - that's a southern way of life (deep south girl here myself), but when it sets in for a few hours, I'm outta there! ::yes:: We were there (Disney) through TS Fay, and it was NO fun for us.

Hope your next trip is much better. I understand after the $$$'s spent that we want nice weather for them. Some people seem to forget that we are all different, and what we 'feel' is our own personal thing (and very real), and one size does not (should not) fit all, and we shouldn't be made to feel inferior because of it.

:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter