Lots of Questions?

shpdem

Mouseketeer
So I'm trying to get all the facts to make a decision on DVC. What makes buying through Disney so much better than buying through a resale company. We typically stay in moderate resorts but like to try different resorts do you actually save money after adding on tickets and dining plans? How many points do other locations cost as we don't want to only go to disney every year. If we buy at say AKL can we use the points at Saratoga if we decide to or are we restricted to AKL. Just trying to get as many facts as possible to make a right decision.

Your best bet at this stage is to take the time to read the threads here on the DIS. Your questions come up a couple times per week and there are plenty of answers and opinions to learn from.

:earsboy: Bill

So I'm trying to get all the facts to make a decision on DVC. What makes buying through Disney so much better than buying through a resale company. We typically stay in moderate resorts but like to try different resorts do you actually save money after adding on tickets and dining plans? How many points do other locations cost as we don't want to only go to disney every year. If we buy at say AKL can we use the points at Saratoga if we decide to or are we restricted to AKL. Just trying to get as many facts as possible to make a right decision.

The advantage to buying direct through Disney is it's quicker and less time consuming. You don't have to go through the hassle of bidding on a contract and then waiting for it to pass Right of First Refusal. Keep in mind that buying direct through Disney will cost more than purchasing a resale. Also, Resale Contracts cannot be used to take a Cruise or for other getaways. If you purchase a contract at AKL, you may book a reservation at that resort up tp 11 months out. You may use your AKL points to stay in a different resort, such as Saratoga Springs, but you can only do those reservations up to 7 months out. In time, you do save money owning DVC, even after adding on tickets and dining. Your best savings are when you use your points to stay in a DVC resort. Using your points for other accommodations will not give you near as much bang for your buck.

Here are some answers as I see them. Other than missing out of some of the freebies, like free dining and ignoring the fact that DVC may change your visit habits, there really isn't much difference in the non lodging costs. Theoretically you can get some savings from the kitchen but few rarely do. You will not save compared to moderates but you may get additional value for around the same money.

IMO, there are VERY few reasons to buy retail. Small package, only DVD has what you want to buy but that's about it. You'll pay dearly though, almost double and while there are a few restrictions on resale purchases, non of real consequence and it's unlikely there will ever be because one should buy points to use at DVC resorts. NONE of the non DVC options are reasonable to buy for and anyone looking at them should reconsider and either not buy DVC or buy less points. It makes no sense to buy DVC to try to get other options, FAR better to use cash for non DVC or to look at a second option such as a non DVC timeshare option for non DVC stays. IF one is gong to buy one or the other, better to go with the non DVC timeshare and use cash for DVC or on property than the reverse which is far better than buying extra DVC points and then trying to finagle DVC to use for other trips.

The answer to how many points for none DVC options is simple, FAR too many. There are points charts out there but in reality, about the best you can do is break even on a good day.

DVC isn't really a money saving process. It's more prepaid lodging, but you'll still spend a bundle each trip you go. You have to pay for your park admission. You have to pay for your transportation to Orlando. You have to pay for your food. And then there are the souveniers. After a while that cost goes down, though, because you have most of them already.

Also, DVC isn't the best timeshare to purchase to trade out of DVC. There are lots of them that are cheaper and can trade into DVC. You have some limitations, but you won't spend on those what you spend on DVC.

Thanks for the info everybody I've been trying to find info through disney but get more of beat around the bush answers instead of straight to the point answers. It sounds like resale is definately the smart way to go, thanks for the info everyone

If you buy direct through Disney, they will happily let you finance the transaction and pay them 10+% interest. They will also let you put it on a credit card for 15-20% interest. You may find buying on credit more difficult if you tried to finance a resale purchase.

Which should probably tell you something.

If you buy direct through Disney, they will happily let you finance the transaction and pay them 10+% interest.
Actually, their interest rates are quite a bit higher than that. I'm not sure if these are the current rates, but they were 11.75% or 14.75% a while back I believe.
You may find buying on credit more difficult if you tried to finance a resale purchase.
I don't know about more difficult, but you might pay a slightly higher interest rate.

To pay DOUBLE to get easy financing is a fool's bet, IMHO. So is paying double to get points a few weeks earlier on a 30-50 year ownership contract.

IF you goto WDW at least once every 2 years, if you like staying on site, if you see yourself continuing to goto WDW once every 2 years, if you would like to stay in 'nicer / bigger' places at WDW if you like having a kitchen / washer/dryer etc etc then for sure look into DVC..

pluses on DVC (in my eyes, and some of these could disappear at any point)

discount on AP. If you plan it right you can get 2 trips in one year for one AP ie: 3rd week in OCT this year, 2nd week next year..

if you like to eat at WDW and also have a drink or 2 or 3.. the Tables in Wonderland card is AWESOME. gives you 20% off the whole ticket including drinks (at almost all disney table services)

if you pay cash you are prepaying for xx years stays, minus your maint fees of course

no tax charged on rooms (can add up if you would be staying peak times or at deluxes on cash)

minuses

maint fees, they will and do go up, so you really do need to look into that

you are locked into WDW, yes you trade out, but from what I understand it's pretty bad compared to other timeshares.

no daily mousekeeping (a minus to some, to me, doesnt matter)

really for ME and MY FAMILY these are the only downsides that we have found. I know for others they have their own lists. You'll have MANY people say "I dont want a kitchen, I'm not cooking while I'm on vacation!! or I'm not doing laundry!!!" That's fine, for US those are positives.. dont have to take nearly as many clothes (unless you insist on having a different outfit for everyday) you can save on food if you dont mind cooking / taking the time to eat (the taking/making the time to eat is hard to do lol, the cooking part is easy ;) )

So we own.. We bought thru WDW AKL in 2008 or 09. have done 3 trips on DVC, doing 2 this year, then wont again til Jan 14 (marathon!!)

If you look at CASH prices, in the next couple of years we will have 'broken even' or close to it on the initial purchase, then all we are paying for our rooms when we goto WDW is our maint fees so if our maint fees are $1200/year we have points to do one trip a year in our 1 bedroom villa.. comes out to about $172 per night for a deluxe room.. Again, no taxes on that. Now that will go up over the years, but usually so do room prices..

That's MY simple minded thoughts on why we bought DVC.. right or wrong, that's our reason. Oh and my brother bought a year or two after we did..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!