Lots of news from the park yesterday - TL walls, etc + park pics and maps

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
As many readers here know, crowds were thick at the parks all of last week (I was there on Weds as well as Sunday). I'd say they were at least double the average and possibly even triple.

Irrespective of the crowds, here are a few interesting things I learned:

• Per two different CMs (let’s call this “informed speculation”): The Tomorrowland construction -- and the accompanying walls that exacerbate congestion -- is expected to last another four to six weeks.

• Another CM told me that she expects there to be a 24-day park opening (usually 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.) at DL sometime next year. She said she’d heard whispers of it. I’m not sure I’d ever do it. The idea sounds fun but I’ve heard and seen videos that explain that the sleepiness, exhaustion and overall stress begin to creep in around 1:00 a.m. By 4:00 a.m. it’s a challenge merely to stay awake.

And two funny things:

• I helped a small family – a mom, dad and their (14-year-old?) daughter with a photo. Moments later I heard the mother reassure her daughter “Don’t worry. Tomorrow's Monday and crowds won’t be so bad.” I had an urge to tell them that probably wasn’t likely, but decided to keep my mouth shut. Why spoil their day? I see from the app that the wait time for Haunted Mansion now stands at three hours. Yikes.

• As I was about to walk out of the bathroom that’s adjacent Carnation Café, I heard a kid step into a stall, close the door and then declare “Ah! Alone at last!” That made me laugh.

As per usual, I’ve got park maps if anyone would like a set.

Lastly, a few park pics.

I ran into this nice Japanese visitor who was cosplaying a Haunted Mansion CM. Her name tag was printed on her blouse and not an attached plastic pin. I took two years of Japanese in college and will often help Japanese tourists who don't speak much English with directions, etc.
IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

This was the POTC queue at around 9:30. I didn't get to ride the attraction yesterday simply because the line was long all day,
IMG_0021.jpg

I did pretty well on Buzz yesterday.
IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0018.JPG

At about 8:30 I was lucky enough to catch Jasmine without any guests around.
IMG_0017.jpg

I just got a new iPhone 11 on Friday and wanted to experiment with the panoramic feature to show you all the Tomorrowland barriers and how cramped they make things.
IMG_0033.jpg

Last edited:
Woah! That Pirates line was THAT long that early in the day? DANG!

That Japanese park guest's cosplay outfit is really cool!

I'm guessing the crowds are due to Columbus Day Weekend?
I was there last Wednesday and crowds were thick then too. I’m told crowds are heavy in large part due to AZ schools being on fall break. Utah will have the same next week so expect equally excessive interlopers ;-).

Last edited:
• Another CM told me that she expects there to be a 24-day park opening (usually 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.) at DL sometime next year. She said she’d heard whispers of it. I’m not sure I’d ever do it. The idea sounds fun but I’ve heard and seen videos that explain that the sleepiness, exhaustion and overall stress begin to creep in after 1:00 a.m. By 4:00 a.m. it’s a challenge merely to stay awake.

My guess would be over Leap Day, February 29, which I believe is the last time they did it in 2016.

• Another CM told me that she expects there to be a 24-day park opening (usually 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.) at DL sometime next year. She said she’d heard whispers of it. I’m not sure I’d ever do it. The idea sounds fun but I’ve heard and seen videos that explain that the sleepiness, exhaustion and overall stress begin to creep in around 1:00 a.m. By 4:00 a.m. it’s a challenge merely to stay awake...
I really hope they don't do this again. We went to the other 24 hour parties and had a lot of fun, but DLR doesn't know how to manage the parks well for those events. They understaff (especially security!) and the crowds outside the parks get seriously ugly. Exhaustion isn't really a problem, but the mob scenes in the esplanade are something I don't want to experience again. I think the last 24 hour party was the only time I've ever seen DCA have a gate closure. Management was in a panic to keep the hordes from entering the parks. If Disney wants to try another one of these events, they had better seriously up their game with organization and management preparedness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter