Lost Foods..... What happened? Where'd they go?

Obi-Wan Pinobi said:
Does anyone remember The Pop Shoppe where you could buy all different flavors of soda in glass bottles as they were being made...right off the conveyor belt ?

I LOVED the Pop Shoppe! We used to go there all the time when I was little.

Poohbear123 said:
Oh, yea, I remember those! :goodvibes Also, Goober Peanut Butter with STRAWBERRY jelly instead of the Grape? ANYONE seen this? And can send me a jar of it! :confused3

Kroger makes a generic version.

Well, I wanted to be the first to mention Koogle Peanut Butter, but someone beat me to it. I loved the cinnamon flavor.

I loved Butternut candy bars, and haven't been able to find them for about twenty years, now. They had that really strange commercial where two cows were up on their hind legs dancing and singing "Butternut! (dun dun dun) They're nuttery! Buttery! Nuttery! Buttery! Butternut!"

I got so sad the other day thinking about when Mtn. Dew came in green glass bottles, with a drawing of a little barefoot hillbilly saying "It'll tickle your innards!" Is it just me, or does today's Mtn Dew taste NOTHING like it did back then?

I spent many happy summers at my grandmother's in Herrin, IL. Does anyone from that area remember the tiny little eateries in that town? The Burger Nook (you could get a sack full of burgers for $1), the Polar Whip (good little burgers), and my most fond memory: The Moo and Cackle! What a name! They had the BEST BBQ sandwiches with coleslaw on top. All of those are sadly gone, now. Isn't it something how emotional we can get over "lost" foods?

DW Lauri is still mourning the loss of her favorite Lipton Rice mix - it was Parmesan Chicken Rissoto. She loved that stuff and could eat just that for dinner and be happy.

Looks like Lipton discontinued it all together. :(

I tend to remember old cereals the most of all. Anyone else remember cereal shaped like ice cream cones? I can't remember the name. Also, the Swedish Chef from the Muppets had a cereal: Cinnamon Crunchy Stars or something like that. Ahh... vintage cereal memories... :goodvibes

Also, I recall a type of Fruit Roll-Up with a surprise picture printed on the roll-up. And when fruit snacks first came out, they were just simple "dot" shapes- Fun Fruits, I think. Then they came out with "Wrinkles" that were wrinkled fruit snacks -yuck!

offwegotoneverland said:
Clearly Canadian isn't lost by the way...in fact they just signed Steve Nash as their spokesperson.

The home page has a link to the USA products as well.

http://www.clearly.ca/index.php

I saw that. I haven't seen CC in stores around here in forever, though. I lived off the stuff in high school.

poohs_hunny said:
... And when fruit snacks first came out, they were just simple "dot" shapes- Fun Fruits, I think. ...

And, I loved the original Fun Fruits! Oh they were the best. And, you got a ton of them in every bag/pouch. Not just about 8 like my boys get in their fruit snacks.

I still have my Fun Fruits rulers I got in Fun Fruits boxes back in high school - LOL

Poohbear123 said:
Really? Hmmm.....no Kroger here in Publix land! ;)

You should ask one of the managers at a Publix to see if they can find some for you. I know I bought some a couple of years ago (The real Googer kind...not generic)but I don't remember where. Anyway...Publix is supposed to try to find anything you want(at least here they do). If I run across any one day I will let you know.....maybe it was Walmart.....hmmmmmm...I will have to look!!

There is a Dylan's Candy Bar at the Florida Mall in Orlando that carries lots of old time candy. Some are available on their web site, www.dylanscandybar.com under nostalgia. A strawberry charleston chew, now that takes me back!!

Come to NJ- I can get you hooked up with all sorts of this stuff- pudding pops, ice cubes, fruit stripe gum, teaberry, black jack, sour apple, beeman's gum, etc. Monster cereals, I've even got a Roy Rogers in driving distance.

I've seen Crystal Pepsi on Ebay, believe it or not. I'm sure it's way expired, too. I have to admit, I liked it a lot.

I also miss pudding ROLL-UPs I don't remember those being mentioned. They were like fruit roll ups, but came in vanilla, chocolate, butterscotch and vanilla chocolate swirl. Yum. I also miss Apricot Fruit Roll Ups. Back then, Fruit Roll Ups tasted like fruit- strawberries! cherries! apricots! Now, it's like neon colored and tastes like fake flavored sugar. It's so sad. Actually, I get Stretch Island Fruit Leather and it reminds me of the old Roll Ups except smaller and thicker.

Pooh's Hunny- I so forgot about the Swedish Chef's cereal! I loved it! And "Kaboom" cereal! Didn't Pac Man and Rainbow Brite have cereals, too? I seem to remember them. The Count Chocula, Boo Berry and Frankenberry are all available in my town every Halloween. So, plan a road trip if you're interested, lol.

This isn't that old- only about 7 years or so, but Philly Cream Cheese used to make cheesecake flavored cream cheese. OMG. Graham crackers with a little of this and a sliced strawberry if you had one around were AWESOME.

Bonkers were awesome! The commercials were horrible, though, lol!

Quik in the metal can- esp. strawberry quik!

Peanut Butter Twix

Skinny Dippers- a cup with a paper lid - once you peeled it back there were 2 sections- one filled with thin lightly sweetened breadsticks and one was a cup of nutella like chocolate dip without the hazelnut taste. These were great.

I also remember fruit flavored ices that came in cardboard containers shaped like a three dimensional triangle. You peeled off from one corner to open and pushed the ice out. I think it came in orange, cherry and grape.

Whistle Lollipops- you could blow into it and it would whistle but once you started eating it, you couldn't do that anymore, lol.

Wow! candy bars- they had like 80 or 90 calories. I think these were around in the 90's

I wonder if Mc Donald's still makes the breakfast platters. I used to once a week with my uncle and get the scrambled eggs, sausage, and hotcakes with the orange juice in the container with the foil lid you had to peel off. I haven't been to a Mc D's in like two years. I'll have to check on this one.

Cool thread- lots of memories. Now I know how I gained so much weight in the late 80's! lol

Always and forever, Taco Bell Cinnamon Crispa's! That twisty business they have now skeeves me right out - it's like cinnamon sugar pork rinds / packing peanuts. NO THANKS.

(It's a good thing none of my RL friends or family post here. They've all heard numerous renditions of the crispa vs. twist rant.)

Oh! And also, am I the only one who remembers apple dumplings from Wendy's? No one ever knows what I'm talking about, but good gravy, they were awesome!! :)

MHopkins2 said:
Always and forever, Taco Bell Cinnamon Crispa's! That twisty business they have now skeeves me right out - it's like cinnamon sugar pork rinds / packing peanuts. NO THANKS.

(It's a good thing none of my RL friends or family post here. They've all heard numerous renditions of the crispa vs. twist rant.)

Oh! And also, am I the only one who remembers apple dumplings from Wendy's? No one ever knows what I'm talking about, but good gravy, they were awesome!! :)

You have to try the Cinnamon Apple Empanadas at Taco Bell. I think you'd like them.

LuluLovesDisney said:
I also remember fruit flavored ices that came in cardboard containers shaped like a three dimensional triangle. You peeled off from one corner to open and pushed the ice out. I think it came in orange, cherry and grape.

Those were LOLAS. I see them at my local variety store every once in awhile.

LuluLovesDisney said:

You mean these?
frozen_fruit_bars_box

http://www.minutemaid.com/products/other_products_and_brands/minute_maid_frozen_fruit_bars.shtml

We still have them in our grocery stores :thumbsup2

I miss peanut butter with chocolate in it. I think it was called chocolate silk?

Some great memeories here!

I miss Chicken Tonight sweet & sour sauce and Kraft's Parm Plus (garlic & herb variety). I had posted that one on a similar thread a few years ago and smeone posted a link of where to buy it. I did once, but I cant even get it there anymore. :(

we were watching and old movie last evening and the lady went to bed and put ROSE MILK on her hands before she went to sleep! Remember ROSE MILK?? My Mom used to have the little pink milk shaped bottle by her bed too! I think they had commercials for it on Lawrence Welk!

French Fries..... I so miss real McDonald's fries (or fries from any burger joint, for that matter). Most places have switched over to those fabricated, crunchy-coating, long-hold-time pieces of blech.

I miss Hostess Chocolate Pudding Pies. OMG were these good. It is probably a good thing they don't make them anymore. I also loved the Hostess Choco Bliss. WHY did they get rid of the choco bliss? It was bliss!

8.jpg

ani1.gif

9.jpg

Look at that face....that face screams "bliss". Poor kid is probably 30 now and diabetic after eating so many for the commercial.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter