Lost Children

Disneyhappy

DIS Veteran
We are taking our 8 year old niece on our summer trip and I am more paranoid about losing her than I was with my own son at his age (go figure). What do you all do to prevent losing a child and if, it happens, what do you do. In the past, we always established a spot in each park that was visible from anywhere in the park. For example, when we arrive at the MK, we showed our son a specific area to meet should we get lost (the castle). He was instucted to ask a cast member for assistance. I'm sure there is a better system. Please share!

This happened to us 3 years ago when my daughter was 6. OMG did I panic. I got the nearest CM but I didn't really feel they helped very much. We were getting off Small world and it was crowded. I think it would be best if you found a meeting place in each land. The things that race through your mind, I never thought I would see her again. She was only gone for 5 minutes. A good idea would be to wear something identifiable easily. Like a neon green hat. I saw alot of people wearing stuff like that and they really stood out. I thought that wa a good idea. It would also help a cm to look for that too. I had totally forgotten what she was wearing. Plus all little 6 year old girls with light brown hair look the same to a CM.
Relax and have fun!

Take a look at Deb's web site. She has an archive of readers tips that includes a grouping of Child ID and Lost Child Tips. There are several ideas there that may be of use to you.

And in Disney World there are no "lost children" ..... only "lost parents". ;)

Debbie

Disney has a system. Stay in the area you last saw the child (or anyone else you might lose) for a few minutes. If a CM finds a child alone they are instructed to do the very same thing. If the parent(s) can not be found within a couple of minutes, the child is taken to the Lost Children office (each park has one, it's on the map, and any CM should be able to take you there). From there (or the Guest Relations Lobby) you can file a report that will go out to all managers and security CMs. You can also speak to the nearest security CM for assistance.

That's how Disney handles those types of situations (and they have a perfect record).
The best thing you can do is to pick a meeting spot that will not make it even more difficult to locate your party. The castle is a horrible location because EVERYONE picks it as a meeting location. Try something a bit less obvious, like Baby Care/Lost Children (save a step) or the park's Guest Relations lobby.
All adults who are separated from their party are directed to Guest Relations, where they can leave or recieve a message and be reunited.

I can relate, I just took my 4 yr old niece to DW and I was really nervous about her getting lost. I took two pieces of paper wrote my name, cell phone number and hotel name. I placed each piece of paper inside each pocket and we practiced before we left our room everyday what she would do if "I" got lost. She really felt secured and so did I. As a matter of fact, her grandma just told her that she is taking her to DW this July and she told her that I needed to make her the "lost papers" before they go.

I think the best advice is to tell children to look for a CM (easily identifiable by name badges) if they become lost. The CMs are trained to take good care of them.

We lost my just turned 10 year old at BB last year, and I was frantic. We have 3 kids (DS-10, DD-6, and DS-3). We were all in the wave pool, and the 10 year old got out to sit on a chair. I decided to head back to our chairs over by Tikes Peak to get sunscreen before we headed to lunch, and left my DH watching the kids. When my DH noticed the 10 year old was gone, my DH figured he had gone with me. What had actually happened was the 10 year old had looked up and couldn't find us--he didn't have his glasses on due to the waterpark which probably didn't help. He therefore left and headed back to our chairs by Tikes Peak. I didn't know he was headed there. When he couldn't find us, he found a life guard who had him stay beside her while she radio'd for security to come to get him to take him to the 'Lost Kids' picnic table. Meanwhile, I ran back and forth between the wave pool and our chairs at Tikes Peak looking everywhere for him (and also checking in at 'lost kids') while my husband sat with our two younger kids waiting exactly where we had left our DS. I was a nervous wreck. Eventually, on one of my passes by the 'Lost Kids' table I found him sitting there.....the security guard had walked him from the LifeGuard to the table. Evidently this whole 'lost kids' thing is a very frequent occurence.....many every hour at BB. Was definitely an agonizing 30 minutes though!

Even with a set meeting place, I don't think I'd want kids to be wandering around or waitng by themselves, so I think the CM approach is a good idea.

As a CM, I can tell you that the best idea is to stress to the child that AS SOON as they realize they've become seperated, go to a CM and ONLY a CM. We'll walk them around the land for a 10 minutes and then call lost kids and have someone walk them down there. So, if you're the parent, walk around the land for a few minutes, if you can't find your child, find a CM and have them call lost kids to find out if there's a report. Have one person stay in the same place, it's no good for everyone in the party to run around looking, you'll just keeping missing them. Stress to the kids to find a CAST MEMBER!! We know what we're doing, and you really don't want your child to wander around the parks alone!

This is my biggest fear every trip. Especially at the water parks. We've gone plenty of places where I've given DS pieces of paper w/ all his info. I used to do this for the 1st day of school too.

I think the best advice is to tell children to look for a CM (easily identifiable by name badges) if they become lost.
Remember to show children the difference between a CM badge and a guest of honor badge!
I did have a little girl tell me her nana was lost when I was wearing my GOH badge.

My friend writes on her child with a Sharpie so no one can
get it off. She carries his picture with her. He has memorized
her cell phone #. She writes on his shoes too.
Every park, they establish a clear meeting place. They all
wear the same color each day.

I simply discuss what we are wearing with DS each morning.
He knows to stand still if WE are lost and if it's a really long
time, find a CM for help. We also have a family sound we
have made since DS was a toddler. It's loud and can usually
be heard above all others. I use it to get his attention
occassionaly so he remembers what to listen for. He also
knows to yell my name instead of "MOM" if he needs help.

Here's a good idea I saw posted last year. If you have a digital camera, take a few pics of your kid before you enter the park EVERY DAY. Take a full shot from the front and the back, and a head shot. If you become separated, you have an accurate picture of your kid! I also like the idea of having your kid carry an index card with vital info, like you're name, phone number, and hotel. I wouldn't put your hotel room number, you never know who might find that card if it gets lost.

Try the picture thing for a level of security, but telling your kid to find a CM sounds like the best first step!

D4D

This is my biggest fear every trip. Especially at the water parks.

This didn't happen to me but it did happen to my girlfriend's 8 year old son. We had all gotton on to the lazy river ride (can't think of the real name) where you float around on the tubes. Well we had all gotton off at the same spot (of course we got seperated along the way) but her son did not. Well we looked all around all the exit areas of this ride but couldn't find him. So my girlfriend reported to a CM. They were on their walkie talkies right away making sure they notified the front gates of the park. An hour had gone by before she got him back. Lucky he was smart enought to go to a life guard for help. Never saw her so scare! It is good to always have a plan if something like this should happen.

A CM heard me talking to my kids about finding a CM if seperated, she came over and showed the kids what to look for - the name tag they wear.
In addition to all the info on the other posts we wrote our cell phone number (including are code) on the upper arm of each child. The older ones (10 & 13) thought it was stupid, but sometimes we get scared and forget the simple stuff, (especially the are code).

Just last month while at EPCOT ds(12) and I encountered a frantic, near hysterical little boy. We quickly realized what had happened. My ds did a great job calming him down however he could not tell us his mommy's name. He could not tell us where he had lost her. He could only say his name and that mommy was very tall - not much for us to go on. We took him immediately into the gift shop in Italy. The cm's went into overdrive: one picked up the phone, another began announcing loudly to all shoppers hoping someone might know him or his mommy, 2 others went immediately outside and began calling for Bobby Jones' mom; another cm quickly arrived from lost children, as she went into the shop to get him his crying mommy appeared! She had heard the male cm's pleas. Whew! A happy ending.

I too was always fearful of such an event. I too placed the info papers in all pockets, taught him to call my name, and taught him how to find a cm or when he was very young I taught him to say "I lost my mommy can you please help me?" We never had a park event but he did get very confused finding his way back to our room at YC 3 years ago. He had begged and begged to go to the gift shop 'by myself mom' and after much coaching I reluctantly agreed. He exited not by the doors near the elevator but thru the others and was totally confused. Fortunately he knew to go back inside and ask one of the nice ladies in the shop for help. She personally brought him up to the room - he has only just now started going down there alone!

Wow! So much helpful information. I knew you all would have great answers! I feel much more comfortable now and will have a game plan in place.

Thank you to the poster who suggested writing a cell phone number with a sharpie. Although our oldest (6.5) knows enough to tell a CM her vitals, our youngest (5 in July) clams up. They wouldn't get her name out of her.

We purchased the guest tags, had their names put on them, and on the back list our hotel, our names, our cell and our home phones. However, they often don't want to wear the tag as it weighs down their shirts. Next time I am going with the sharpie idea.

angie

Great idea about the digital photos, Ducky! The number one thing people have trouble remembering when a lost children form is being filled out is "what is the child wearing?"

Also, Guest Relations has complimentary child tags. There is space for the child's name on the front and on the back for "I am with...", address, and phone number. Depending on what your child is wearing, you can either thread it around a shoulder strap (on a tank top) like you would a luggage tag, or they will give you a safety pin to use.

Remember that if you tag your young children by doing something like writing directly on their skin, make sure you put the info. somewhere where it is NOT covered by their clothing. You don't want to put the CM in the position of not being able to get at the info b/c it would be necessary to undress the child to find it--they are not allowed to do that.

We use a sharpie to put cell phone info on DS' resort key, which he wears around his neck on a brightly coloured breakaway lanyard. He knows that if he takes that lanyard off, the vacation is over, so he keeps it on without complaint.

When we were there a year and a half ago my DS (then 4) stayed with DH in the gift shop (at park closing, very crowded) while I went to pick up something in a different area. When I got back DH says "I don't know how to tell you this, but Evan's gone." I FREAKED and started loudly calling his name, which he heard, and came to me right away. I was very impressed with the CM. By the time I had gotten there she had closed her register (even though she had 3 people waiting to check out) and started to alert the rest of the CM's in the store. Thanks for sharing the great ideas on this post. I will be using them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter