• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lost, But Never Found! A real life Toy Story that ended our Vacation

MrandMrsJoeFriday

HEYYYY YOUUU GUUYYYYSSS
It all started June 16th, we headed up to Orlando from South Florida, and looked forward to our 2 night stay at POP Century. We had our custom "STAY OUT OF THE DAMN LAKES" Magic bands waiting for us, along with Mine Train, and Anna and Elsa Fast Passes already selected. The drive went smoothe, the check in process was flawless, and for the first time ever at POP Century, we got a King bed. The next morning we headed out for out first of two days in the parks. After arriving at Magic Kingdom, we immediately headed to Mine Train to use our Fast Passes, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Afterwards we headed over to small world, little Mermaid, and finished off the park with a Meet and Greet with Anna and Elsa.

Once it became to hot for our daughter, we decided to leave the park for lunch, and so we headed over to our favorite off property spot, Ale House. After we were all relaxed from our scrumptious lunch, my wife wanted to stop by Coronado Springs on the way back to our hotel, so that we could pick up one of there yummy M&M cookies for our daughter, because she had been so well behaved the entire day.

(Here is where the sequence of events changed the course of our trip forever).

Instead of just going to Coronado, getting the cookies, and heading back to Pop century for a little break before we do an evening park visit, I had to open my big mouth and say, "Hey let's stop by Downtown Disney really quick, and check out the new Disney Co-Op store". Reluctantly, my wife said "Fine", and so I proceeded to enter the battle zone that is DownTown Disney Parking. After battling it out for a parking space just east of the World of Disney store, I got a spot fairly close, and proceeded to remove my daughter from her car seat, along with her most prized possession in the ENTIRE WORLD.

That possession is a small, flat, and colorful Panda Bear, that was given to her 18 months ago at her baby shower. The bear featured 2 hands and 2 feet, which were made out of a soft rubber material for babies to teeth on. On the tummy, it was embroidered "I LOVE MY MOMMY", and most importantly was the Tag on the back, which over the last 17 months has been Held, and rubbed on, until it's present state, which is nothing more than a few strands of silk. To her, this is the equivalent of a child's Blankie, and is a must when she is relaxing, taking a nap, watching Pocahontas and frozen, and going night night.

At this point in the story I will simply refer to the bear by his given name, which is "ACHOO". After getting my daughter out of the car, I handed ACHOO to her, which she placed in her left hand. As we walked towards the restrooms behind World of Disney, I held her in my right arm, and for once had my iphone in my left front pocket, which was able to be accessed by my left hand, which was free. Usually my keys and phone always seem to be on the side where my hand is occupied. Anyways, as we walked up to the bathroom, my wife needed to make a visit, so I told her I would stand right out front and wait. As she headed into the bathroom I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to listen to a little of the DisUnplugged podcast which had just gone out live a few hours prior. So, with my DD in my right hand, I pulled out my phone with my left, and began to listen. Approx. 4 minutes later my wife returns, at which time I put my phone in my pocket, and then look at my daughters hands to make sure she still has ACHOO. Immediately my heart sinks, and I ask my wife, "WHERES ACHOO"? She basically says, what do you mean where's ACHOO?

Immediately we are in a CODE RED situation, retracing our steps, checking garbage cans, bushes, water drains, peoples hands... You name it, we checked it. Every single cashier station was checked from T-Rex to RainForest cafe. And included it that was the wonderful Disney Co-Op, although it was not the way I wanted to be seeing the store. After running around like mad people in the summer heat for 3 hours, several trips to Guest relations in both DTD and world of Disney turned up NOTHING. Our hearts were broken, and so were out daughters.

At this point she was ready for her nap, and in a sweet, innocent, and exhausted voice,she had begun to ask for ACHOO. Once again our hearts sunk even lower than I ever thought they could have. To her, ACHOO was everything. During the hunt for ACHOO, I was also on Ebay frantically trying to find one for sale anyplace within driving distance, and unfortunately there was nothing.

Just after she was born, and had fallen in love with ACHOO, I had searched for another back up ACHOO for this exact reason, and found a small community via google, of parents that all were having trouble finding a replacement for this small toy that had capture the love of there children. Not long after I successfully located one on ebay for a whopping $30.00 bucks (clearly the seller was aware of its value to desperate parents). So anyways the back was 3+ hours away at home, and Our DD needed him now. We made a mad dash for Walmart to see if they had anything close to ACHOO, and ended up purchasing a similar style elephant toy. After giving this to our DD, it worked... For about ZERO SECONDS. At this point we knew it was going to end our trip.

We headed back to the hotel, all while my wife is i in tears and constantly asking me " how could you let this happen". Later on at night, I rushed over to DTD Guest Relations once last time to see if ACHOO had been found, but unfortunately he had not. On the way back to the hotel, my wife text me a link to ebay. I opened it and was immediately overjoyed. Just 1 hour away in Tampa, was a brand new ACHOO for sale for $14.99 or best offer. I immediately skipped wasting time with the best offer, and hit buy it now, paid paypal immediately, and followed by writing the seller a message, asking if I could pick up the ACHOO replacement in person. For the first time in 7 hours, we finally had some hope of turning this trip around, and bringing ACHOO back for our DD.

If we weren't already sad enough, in the middle of the night, our DD woke up asking for ACHOO, and after handing her the elephant in the dark, she felt it for two or three seconds, dropped it, and said " Not ACHOO". The next morning I awoke to a email from the ebay seller that made me so happy. The retired husband and wife selling the new ACHOO basically said they completely understand our predicament, and were even willing to meet us out on I-4.

After a quick breakfast we promptly checked out, and headed west on I-4 towards tampa. About 55 minutes later we arrived at the Burger King at exit 16, and were greeted by Bob, the seller, who could not have been a nicer, and more genuine person. After talking with Bob for about 10 minutes, during which time my wife and DD were waiting in the car, my DD caught a glance of ACHOO's bright colors from 20 feet away, and immediately shouted "ACHOO". At this point my wife couldn't make her wait any longer, and brought her over to reunite her with her beloved bear. I proceeded to hand over this sparkling new ACHOO, free of spit and recent ketchup stains, and one paw that had been slightly nibbled on by our dog Layla. My DD looked at the front of it for a few seconds before turning it over to grab ahold of the time ravaged time, only to find a brand new tag in its place. After a few seconds of visible confusion, she dropped the bear and said " Not ACHOO". We were crushed.

On the way back to Orlando we began the task of integrating the new ACHOO into our family, mostly by playing games with him, and feeding him French fries. Eventually the new ACHOO fit right in, however after getting back to Orlando with the new ACHOO, my wife just wasn't in the mood to go to the parks anymore, knowing that the real ACHOO was somewhere out there. We decided to head back home while our DD was still napping in the car, and since that trip the new ACHOO has been absolutely perfect. We have yet to plan our next trip yet, but hopefully we will return one day soon to make up for the unfinished vacation. Btw, we called lost and found everyday for 7 days but ACHOO was never turned in. This just highlights the fact that if you find something, no matter how insignificant you may think it is, turn it in. Because one persons trash is another persons treasure. If you have a similar story please feel free to share with the rest of us DISers. Thank you

I'm sorry for all of you, but glad to hear (new) ACHOO has finally been accepted.

It just proves that there is nothing like an old friend. :)

Thank you Kevin. "New" ACHOO is happily getting dirty and worn just like "first" achoo. It interesting that one of the last photographs of ACHOO was with Anna and Elsa. Hopefully he found a good home.

Any parent would recognize a well worn lovie item and turn it in. Unfortunately, to the non-parenting world, it would be trash. We lost "Chickie" at SeaWorld, never to be found again. Glad it turned out okay. Hope you next trip makes up for the mess.

Our annual passes are up for renewal next month, so hopefully we renew, and make it up to our DD, because We always make it a point to take her to epcot to ride Nemo, and take a photo at the Chase Visa meet n greet(which is usually the same two characters, but she loves it). Has anyone had luck with being reunited with an item at the Disney Lost and Found at the TTC?

You might want to secretly insert one of those wifi tracking chips inside ACHOO if he wants to get lost again. :lmao:

That is actually an excellent idea. Hopefully it is waterproof, because he likes to take random dips in the dogs water bowl

Awwww... I know exactly how you feel! This same thing has happend to our family twice (once with each kid).

We lost our DD's precious "Humo" (lamb blankie) at Hollywood Studios when she was 22 months. Looking back he was probably in the under carriage of our stroller and fell out when I was shuffling things around looking for our camera. We didn't realize until hours later when packing up the car to head back to our resort. DH and I completely (I mean completely) freaked out... tears.. screaming, you name it... DD was oblivious. DH ran to Guest Services and (cue angel music) Humo was right there! Some kind soul had turned him in! DD is 6.5 and still sleeps with her precious Humo.

Last month we went to Japan to visit Tokyo Disney Resort. It was an amazing experience!! Over 21 days of travel our biggest "bump in the road" was when our youngest (DS 20 months) tossed his "Abu" (owl blankie) into the streets of Tokyo ON OUR FIRST DAY. Literally the biggest mistake of his life. It was a nightmare. We visited a 14 story department store around the time he went missing so we checked with information several times hoping someone had turned in the blankie but sadly we never found him. Like your wife I just hated walking around knowing that his baby was there somewhere... probably lying in a gutter. DS is an amazing sleeper but nap time / bed time became torture. He eventually began to self sooth and I bought a replacement blankie and had it shipped to Aulani for the second leg of our trip. Surprisingly he really took to the replacement blankie and after a few day it was like old times. Now that we're settled back at home it's like it never happened. I'm so thankful he took to his replacement blankie.

I'm sorry this happened to you! I hope your little one takes to the replacement "Achoo" - great name by the way. Our new rule is that his Abu doesn't leave the house / hotel room ;)

Thank you for sharing your story. We had a bit of screaming, crying, and all around freaking out going on too. But fast forward to right now, and my dd is laying in my lap with her ACHOO, and asking me to go to netflix and put on her night time movie "Heyya" aka Pocahontas. Other than loosing the blankie, it sounds like you guys went on a pretty incredible trip. I can't wait to one day go to japan. When they were building Tokyo Disney, my grandfather was hired to do some of the ornamental ceilings in the park, and was asked to fly over there for a week, and I was allowed to go with... However it just so happened that that summer I high school I had to stay behind to take math over again. Biggest mistake not studying that school year.

We were at WDW when our oldest son was a baby and still used a pacifier. We were walking through Liberty Square, when we realized he had dropped his beloved pacifier! We freaked out because we didn't have another one with us, so our entire group of 6 adults started searching the area and retracing our steps. Luckily, my husband found it a few minutes later!

Fast forward approximately six years... my husband says to me, "Hey, remember when we lost that pacifier at Disney?" Of course I do, we mention it every time we walk through that area. Then he says, "Well... it was in my pocket the whole time. It was never actually lost. When we started searching the ground for it, I realized that I had actually had it the whole time and I felt dumb, so I waited a few minutes and then pretended I found it."

In hindsight, he probably made a good choice, because we would never have let him live that down. :)

Wow, he held that secret for 6 years? I probably wouldn't have made it past bedtime lol. I kept checking my pockets and the back of my pants and shirt to make sure he wasn't stuck to my clothes with static electricity. I probably looked like I had ants in my pants.

Thank you for sharing your story. We had a bit of screaming, crying, and all around freaking out going on too. But fast forward to right now, and my dd is laying in my lap with her ACHOO, and asking me to go to netflix and put on her night time movie "Heyya" aka Pocahontas. Other than loosing the blankie, it sounds like you guys went on a pretty incredible trip. I can't wait to one day go to japan. When they were building Tokyo Disney, my grandfather was hired to do some of the ornamental ceilings in the park, and was asked to fly over there for a week, and I was allowed to go with... However it just so happened that that summer I high school I had to stay behind to take math over again. Biggest mistake not studying that school year.
No way! That's incredible that your grandfather had a hand in TDR. It truly is a spectacular place... like nearly perfect. That stinks that you didn't get to go! I hope you make it there one day. Disneyland Tokyo is like parallel universe Magic Kingdom and Disney Sea is just incredible. Anyway getting off subject ;)

Glad your DD is loving on her new Achoo! Have you tried contacting guest services? They may have some sort of lost & found form that you can fill out. I actually lost my drivers license on our last trip and they mailed it back without me even inquiring. Obviously my address was on my license but it was nice of them to just automatically return it.

Yes I actually filled out the form at guest services at downtown Disney, and then my wife called the Lost and Found Hub everyday for 7 days. Apparently all lost and found items from all Disney locations on property are sent to the Hub, which is directly next to the Poly and the TTC.

I just wanted to correct 1 thing, the company did ceilings in Tokyo disneysea, not Disney land. That would have made me about 20 years older lol

amyren said:
It was a nightmare. We visited a 14 story department store around the time he went missing so we checked with information several times hoping someone had turned in the blankie but sadly we never found him. Like your wife I just hated walking around knowing that his baby was there somewhere... probably lying in a gutter.

Our new rule is that his Abu doesn't leave the house / hotel room ;)

That's a great rule! I can imagine how hard it would have been, especially with the language barrier. I can see myself thinking "do they understand what I'm asking for? What if they've got it, but don't understand what I'm looking for?"

WebmasterLeah said:
We were at WDW when our oldest son was a baby and still used a pacifier. We were walking through Liberty Square, when we realized he had dropped his beloved pacifier! We freaked out because we didn't have another one with us, so our entire group of 6 adults started searching the area and retracing our steps. Luckily, my husband found it a few minutes later!

Fast forward approximately six years... my husband says to me, "Hey, remember when we lost that pacifier at Disney?" Of course I do, we mention it every time we walk through that area. Then he says, "Well... it was in my pocket the whole time. It was never actually lost. When we started searching the ground for it, I realized that I had actually had it the whole time and I felt dumb, so I waited a few minutes and then pretended I found it."

In hindsight, he probably made a good choice, because we would never have let him live that down. :)

That's hilarious! He proselytizing l probably thought about telling you every time it was brought up, but always chickened out!

When we were in WDW last time, my DS was five. His most prize possession was "Floppy" a stuffed dog that he still sleeps with to this day. We were staying at POP and had just packed up to leave. We were all checked out and waiting in the Food Court for ME to get there. We looked around and realized that "Floppy" was not with my son. He started asking for him and began to have a meltdown. We started searching all of our carry on bags, because our checked bags were already waiting for ME. Frantically, we started retracing our steps and searching all over for him. I ran back to the room and luckily the door was open as my KTTW was already deactivated. I tore the room apart looking all over for it. As I was about to leave, I decided to pull all the covers of the beds...sure enough, wrapped in the blankets was the beloved "Floppy". We almost missed our bus and then, ultimately, our flight home, but we just barely made ME and headed home. DS would not have handled the loss well. As I said, he is 10 now and still sleeps with him. My DS leads us to believe he is not interested in his beloved toy, but it is only an act. He will invariably have him in his arm or under his head when he wakes up.

So glad that we were able to find him. I know how I would feel if we hadn't been able to. I would have blamed myself for weeks/months afterwards. Would hate to let my kids down like that.

I am glad that ACHOO is back in your DD's arms.

Last summer, we stayed for a week at the Beach Club. Our DD's most prized stuffie, Banana Bunny, did not make it back to Massachusetts.

The stuffed rabbit had been given to her at Easter a few years prior by my mom who passed away a few weeks before our trip. Of course our daughter was devastated. A few calls to WDW and some emails to Lost and Found ensued. A week or so later a box arrived from the World with her beloved bunny. He stayed an extra week at Beach Club at Stormalong Bay and Beaches and Cream.

I definitely know that frantic feeling. I'm happy you found Floppy, and still made the ME in time. I would been freaking out not only because floppy was missing, but the fact that the entire trip back home could have been ruined. Then again, it would have been a good excuse to stay another night, and since you found floppy, it would have been reason to celebrate. It was really hard leaving town and knowing ACHOO was out there somewhere. My wife and I were kicking ourselves for a good solid week, and she still doesn't like to talk about it, and has yet to read this blog because it will bring back the bad memories.

:rotfl2: Now that is funny!! My DH probably would have done the same thing though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter