• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lost birth certificate 24 hr before our flight. Help needed ASAP!

Sunshinelover

Earning My Ears
Our flight leaves in less than 24 hr and DH's birth certificate is missing. The file I keep all important documents in contained myself and DD's certificates but not DH's. I definitely should've gotten these together earlier but I had no reason to think his was mysteriously gone.

His mom has a copy of it but it looks like someone physically just took a copy of the original, so the seal on it isn't raised up like the rest of ours. What are the odds it'll still be accepted? We're on the May 5th Dream sailing but leaving the West Coast tomorrow to do 3 days at WDW prior to our cruise. I know even an expedited service takes 3-5 business days and I have no clue if they could even send it to our resort.

Please tell me the copy along with his drivers license may work? I'm on the verge of tears here. We're either out over 2k or leaving DH behind in FL by himself?

Do you live in the state your husband was born? If so, you can try going to the dept of vital records and be able to get one there on the spot.

not sure if this will help, but if your MIL can locate a copy, fed ex can have it to you in 12 hours. I left my DL in texas, road tripped to Chicago and flew home. a day before I boarded plane I realized i had left them. called my husband and he ran them down to fed-ex and they overnited them for $35. I had hotel sign for them. was a problem

Do you live in the state your husband was born? If so, you can try going to the dept of vital records and be able to get one there on the spot.

That's a good idea. Not for vacation, but we had to get a copy of our sons a few years back. We went up to the office first thing in the AM, and it was there for us about 3 hours later. Not my favorite way to spend a day, but as long as you get it that's all that matters. GOOD LUCK!

Call vital records tomorrow am and see if they have a close by walk in service.

Have a friend get it and overnight it.

I thought I read reports where pax at port have them faxed, so maybe the copy will work?????

Check the adjoining files. And between the files. The bottom of the file drawer too.

Our stuff always ends up in the next door file.

Call DCL.

Good luck.

Do you live in a state with Enhanced Driver's Licenses?

The following states are issuing this type of WHTI-compliant document: Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington.

We actually will be in the city he was born in tomorrow. It's about 4 hr north of us. Actually stopping there to drop off the dog at his parent's and have them drive us to the airport. But totally on a time crunch as it is. Would he really be able to get another one on the spot there?

I'm sorry you're going thru this stress! And I'm sorry to say that a DL will not be enough, and they do not accept copies of Birth Certificates. Best of luck in finding it or getting one shipped to you ASAP!

Check with DCL to see if they will accept a copy along with your driver's license--if so problem solved providing your MIL can find the copy.:) Good luck!

We actually will be in the city he was born in tomorrow. It's about 4 hr north of us. Actually stopping there to drop off the dog at his parent's and have them drive us to the airport. But totally on a time crunch as it is. Would he really be able to get another one on the spot there?

Yes, if you are going to be in the county where he was born, go to the county clerk's office WITH ID and cash or check and you should be able to get an official copy with seal. The other option is, if his mother still lives where he was born, that she goes (WITH ID and marriage license if she took a married name plus cash or check) and they will give it to her as the parent of the "child" whose certificate it is.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Just saw your most recent post. We were able to get one for my daughter on the spot. It took very little time, maybe 30 minutes. However, ours said there are times when they have wait times that are up to 3 hours long. Maybe a weekday shouldn't be bad? Good luck!

Just saw your most recent post. We were able to get one for my daughter on the spot. It took very little time, maybe 30 minutes. However, ours said there are times when they have wait times that are up to 3 hours long. Maybe a weekday shouldn't be bad? Good luck!

I have never had a wait longer than 30 minutes at three different county clerks in two different counties. So hopefully that trend will be the default and the three-hour wait is an aberration...

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Ours took 45min start to finish on a weekday in Atlanta.

GL, OP! I think your MIL can pick one up and ship it overnight to your hotel, as well. Call Vital Records first thing in the morning to weigh your options. If anything, you are fortunate to have the WDW time before the cruise.

Remember to breathe!

Attorney services are great for this. They always have people working 9 - 5 at record offices, court houses, etc. They get a call, the person in that office calls the on site employee, they pull the doc, easy. Then they could fed ex it wherever you are. Just another suggestion. But it's $$. But it will be the correct doc. :goodvibes Good luck !

Yes. Usually you must go to the county or state vital statistics office, not a city office. You fill out the form, wait, and they issue it.

I've gotten them as quick as 15, and once had to return a few hours later.

Nancy

Pardon my ignorance but I've read a couple of threads about birth certificate. In what cases do we need our birth certificates? Wont passports be sufficient?

When I had to get my husbands we just went to a health department in the state he was born and they where able to issue one in under 30 minutes.

Pardon my ignorance but I've read a couple of threads about birth certificate. In what cases do we need our birth certificates? Wont passports be sufficient?

Yes, passports would be sufficient. Some itineraries do not require passports and allow persons to board with original birth certificates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter