• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lost and Found, so I returned a phone and all I got was...

Thank you! This coming from someone who lost a credit card while in Disneyland and some honest person found it and turned it into lost and found. It really would have ruined our vacation if that had been stolen. It is always appreciated when someone does the right thing!

Another Thank You from someone who left her purse in a resturant and a nice gentlemen sitting next to us turned it into the cashier! It was during a trip with 25 family members and all our info was in it. It's always best to do the right thing!

Actually you could have put in a claim of some sort and if the owner was not found the you could ask to keep the phone.

You can ask to put a claim on some items but not on cellphones.

It is illegal to keep found items from what I remember.

Probably not illegal but unethical. If you leave the park with someone else's phone, that would be theft. You did the right thing by turning it in. I'm sure you felt good about that and hopefully the favor will be returned to you.

Probably not illegal but unethical. If you leave the park with someone else's phone, that would be theft. You did the right thing by turning it in. I'm sure you felt good about that and hopefully the favor will be returned to you.
thank you as I knew you could claim some stuff but not what.:thumbsup2

....where I returned it. The CM gave me and the GF "honorary citizen" badges in exchange.

To which you should have said "Oh my gosh! Why on earth would I get a badge for doing what is right? No thank you! I would be embarrassed to receive a badge for returning something that is not mine":thumbsup2

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuscacivil_2080_2082.htm#s2080
That is for the state of California. Basically if you save/rescue a domestic animal or take possession of an item that you find then you may have certain obligations like notifying the owner if known and if not reporting the item to the authorities if over $100. I am not a lawyer and will await for one.

§ 2080. Duties of finder

Any person who finds a thing lost is not bound to take charge of it, unless the person is otherwise required to do so by contract or law, but when the person does take charge of it he or she is thenceforward a depositary for the owner, with the rights and obligations of a depositary for hire. Any person or any public or private entity that finds and takes possession of any money, goods, things in action, or other personal property, or saves any domestic animal from harm, neglect, drowning, or starvation, shall, within a reasonable time, inform the owner, if known, and make restitution without compensation, except a reasonable charge for saving and taking care of the property. Any person who takes possession of a live domestic animal shall provide for humane treatment of the animal.

CREDIT(S)

(Added by Stats.1967, c. 1512, p. 3601, § 3. Amended by Stats.1998, c. 752 (S.B.1785), § 9.)

§ 2080.1. Delivery to police or sheriff; affidavit; charges

(a) If the owner is unknown or has not claimed the property, the person saving or finding the property shall, if the property is of the value of one hundred dollars ($100) or more, within a reasonable time turn the property over to the police department of the city or city and county, if found therein, or to the sheriff's department of the county if found outside of city limits, and shall make an affidavit, stating when and where he or she found or saved the property, particularly describing it. If the property was saved, the affidavit shall state:

(1) From what and how it was saved.

(2) Whether the owner of the property is known to the affiant.

(3) That the affiant has not secreted, withheld, or disposed of any part of the property.

(b) The police department or the sheriff's department shall notify the owner, if his or her identity is reasonably ascertainable, that it possesses the property and where it may be claimed. The police department or sheriff's department may require payment by the owner of a reasonable charge to defray costs of storage and care of the property.
http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ovuslostdogpropertystatutes.htm
The rest of the states that they list.

What did you want? A parade in your honor?

You performed a good deed and the warm and fuzzy feeling in your heart should be enough.

It was not Disney's phone - why should they reward you for turning it in?:confused3

My DD got an Iphone for Christmas of 07, she confessed to me much later that in the first week back to school she left it in the girls bathroom. We are so lucky someone turned it into the office!

your a good man Charlie Brown!

My DD got an Iphone for Christmas of 07, she confessed to me much later that in the first week back to school she left it in the girls bathroom. We are so lucky someone turned it into the office!

your a good man Charlie Brown!

The jist of the post was the the honorary citizen badges don't get you anything... Heck, I could lie and say its my b day, get a badge and have people bend over backwards for me...

Why the heck should you get something for not keeping something that wasn't yours to begin with. In other words reward me for not stealing. That is one screwed up moral boundary.

Why the heck should you get something for not keeping something that wasn't yours to begin with. In other words reward me for not stealing. That is one screwed up moral boundary.

Exactly. The original post didn't sound like it was intended to simply impart the knowledge that the badge has no value if anyone was wondering about that, it sounded like you are annoyed you weren't rewarded. The I phone comment make have been a joke (I sure hope so), but it didn't help...

My husband lost his cell phone our first day at Disneyland. We had been driving all night and he was really tired. We realized it standing by the speakers waiting for Fantasmic. he was so dejected. I had utmost confidence he would get it back the next day and sure enough, first thing in the morning, someone had turned it in to lost and found. :banana: That trip I also found someones drivers liscense in our HOJO safe, kind of hidden on its side, I turned it in to the front desk, and at our hotel in Sacramento husband found a wallet outside our room and we ran it right up to the front desk. Karma.

We turn in what we find, whether at DL or elsewhere. Why? Because it is our hope that others would turn in something we might lose or misplace. For example, we found a phone while at the dog park, picked it up and called the contact labeled "Mom", Mom called her daughter and her daughter called us. Made arrangements to pick up the phone and she did. We got no more than a very heartfelt Thank You and you know what? That was more than fine. In our phones we have our ICE contacts and we also have "Home" programmed so people know who to call if we misplace our phones.
On our DL trip in Jan DBF left his pin book at the table when we finished eating at the French Market, realized it as we went into the pin shop around the corner and RAN back, he did not see it but the nice couple at the table behind us had turned it in to a CM and we were able to get it right back! That was amazing, we offered the man some $$ but he refused. :) In 08 (can't remember the exact trip as we took a lot that year) my DD9's (then 8) backpack was left on a shelf by a register, someone picked it up and walked away with it. She had her wallet with money, Disney Dollars, an ID and a few pins in it along with her autograph book, she did NOT get it back and yes, we filled out a lost & found report. She also lost her hat on the same trip, didn't get that back either. :( So we've had it happen both ways. We will continue to turn in items we find and hope that others would do the same for us. It's also a good teaching moment for the kids.

Lakewood, I have had honorary citizen badges gifted to me by CMs seeing me do the right thing. Not only does it feel good to wear that badge all day but you do get recognition. No, not with free items but CMs and others ask what you did, you tell your story and you get their Thanks on top of the Thanks that you know the person who lost the item is giving you mentally. It's an all around good feeling and that is the best kind of reward.

Cruising throught the d town Disney parking lot, I noticed a phone on a cars decklid. Looked around no one was near or in the car, I took the phone to City Hall at D Land where I returned it. The CM gave me and the GF "honorary citizen" badges in exchange. Good thing for them it wasn't and I Phone.... I may have had to claim "finders keepers, loosers weepers" on it....

In conclusion, the "honorary citizen" badge doesn't get you squat, no hello, no extra tortillas,....

well luckily my iphone( and most) has a GPS ipone finder/ tracker... i would be on the thief asap.
Although i think the OP was just joking guys....:confused3

I found a cell phone at work in the bathroom a couple of years ago, I worked in a factory with a few thousand employees. I called the last # that the owner had called and found out the phone belonged to a women I worked with. She was very happy to get her phone back.

I never once expected anything in return. Just hope some kind person will return the favor.

The jist of the post was the the honorary citizen badges don't get you anything... Heck, I could lie and say its my b day, get a badge and have people bend over backwards for me...

The honorary citizen button is a kind gesture to recognize you and let you know you did something appreciated.

No one bends over backwards for you if you have a birthday button on. Yes, you get wished "Happy Birthday" all day long and can get a free package of tortillas, but that's it.

I think you are missing the point of the CM giving you the button. It was a "thank you for doing the right thing." The knowledge that you helped another human being (who lost his/her cell) should be reward enough.

two years ago my younger sister had purchased some items. She forgot the bag at the table at lunch. We went back and someone had taken it...the restaurant said they didn't have it. We checked in at lost and found the next 2 days we were there and it was never turned in. She was crushed. It was only like 20 dollars worth of things but it doesn't matter. Someone took it home and that is just wrong. We always turn in things we find. It sucks when you lose something and never get it back.

my son found a dram fastpass lanyard at CA we turned it in and got a fastpass for the ride of his choice for all 6 of us in our group. Next trip we won our own dream fast passes yes karma strikes again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter