• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Losing weight by dancing

smilie

I've been unwonked!
Every since I had my Dd I find that I don't have time to exercise. I've gotten away from and I don't like that. So I decided that I want to try again but this time get Dd into the fun. She loves loves loves music and she'll try and dance too. So I'm thinking that I'll try dancing as an exercise.

Has anyone done this with any success?

See any overweight Rockettes?

Of course its great exercise. Like any aerobic workout you need to keep a continuous huffy puffy effort for 45-60 minutes 4-6 times a week. You may only be able to go for 15-20 minutes at first but progressively work up to the hour range.

Unfortunately the Feds came out with the 30 minutes a day thing a few years back saying that was all you need. When you really listen to what they were saying, it was an effort to get folks moving - any amount of movement.

I am sure you understand that aerobic work alone will not seal the deal. It is really part of a triad. Aerobic, strength and nutrition (not diet).

Like stated before I've taken dance classes and meet success. I do Belly Dance and Hula. I love them both because Hula really works out my legs. While Belly Dance isolates movements building and toning your body and pretty much giving you a total body work out but only if you practice at home and keep up with it. Otherwise if you only do you dance class once a week and then go home and veg on the couch your not going to get results.

As part of an overall exercise and nutrition routine, dancing will help you lose weight. Dancing 10 minutes a day with your DD probably will not give you big results, but it's a great start to get you moving again. I like dancing around with my DD as well, but her interest wanes after 5-10 minutes, so I'm not able to get a good sustained workout in. Give it a try and see how it works for you!

I did Zumba classes for a while, which is like a combo dance aerobic work out thing. I don't know if they have any DVDs, but if you could try them out, I would. Not sure how old you DD is, but I remember when my mom would do yoga following the lady on PBS. She always wore a pink leotard. Might have been long sleeve... Anyway, I would try to follow along with my mom. I can't even remember doing this now, of course, but my mom still teases me about how she would be struggling to do some position and she'd look at me and I would be all twisted up like a pretzle. Anyway, my point is that getting your DD involved is a great idea. If she watches videos, she just might be entertained by a dancing type work out video AND she just might join in!

Dancing is a fabulous way to get into shape. It is my favorite way to exercise. Ballet is great for toning your muscles. Jazz is great for burning calories. You can even just dance around the house as you clean and cook to get you heart pumping. I believe there are some DVDs and books to help with learning how to do things.

For your daughter have her take classes at a local studio, it is fun and a great way to make friends (warning dance can cost a bit!) and then she can do a recital at the end of the year. You could have her teach you what she learned in class so you can do it together. Or see if there is an adult class you could take.
Dance is really something for the whole family and a great way to get and stay in shape.

For best weight lose though follow a healthy diet.

When I was doing ballroom and latin classes, I was in great shape. But, I was dancing continuously for 60 minutes 4 days a week. Plus, I was running. So, like others have said, you'll have to make it a decent amount of time. 10 or 20 minutes just isn't going to do much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter