Lose and Loose are two different words!

I have a friend who always ends her e-mails or Facebook chats with "Chow!" instead of "Ciao!". Makes me cringe every time.

Linda

I haven't seen it on the Dis, but one that makes me laugh is when people mix up assess and *****. It makes them look like, well :rolleyes1

Advice and advise are also two different words. You are not asking for advise. Advice is a noun, advise is a verb.

Oh, I hate this one! I don't get why people can't see this by the spelling. :confused3

Absolutely not. I do feel strongly about not pointing out the simple mistakes of others. Perfection does not exist and the person making a big deal in the first place always makes errors.

I'd rather it be pointed out on an anonymous message board than having it seen at work. The lose and loose is my pet peeve too and I've seen it at work frequently. So maybe someone reading this here will not make the mistake where it really counts.

Breath and breathe. I see it on here all of the time. "I couldn't breath."

Guess I'll jump in too. Can't believe nobody mentioned one of the most glaring--its and it's. Also could, would, or should of instead of have.

I'll agree with those who have said would of instead of would've. Would of doesn't even make sense. I apologize to those that use it but when I see that, I assume the person isn't very intelligent.

Im loosing intrest in this thred.;)

Count me as one who appreciates decent spelling/grammar. A typo here and there doesn't bother me, but multiple, consistent errors make me cringe.

Don't get me started on text-speak. :duck:

There's some that get to me as well, but lose/loose DRIVES ME CRAZY!!

Others:

Rediculous instead of Ridiculous (where did the E come from??)

Apostrophe abuse. When in doubt, leave it out. (IMO)

People who say "the absolute worse thing" instead of "worst".

These things bother me, because it makes it seem like people get lazy and become offended when you point out their mistakes.

Eventually this lack of grammar can cause problems, especially when it comes to translating to other languages.

Punctuation, it saves lives:

"Let's eat grandma!"

"Let's eat, grandma!"

:lmao:

:thumbsup2

This is a message board, not an English test.

I just don't understand why people get so worked up over words that are not spelled correctly. Not everyone is a great speller. So what? :confused3

Misspelling is different. That's not the primary subject of this thread. Using the entirely wrong word is.

Misspelling is different. That's not the primary subject of this thread. Using the entirely wrong word is.

I agree. It's pretty easy to tell when someone makes a typo, as opposed to when they don't know the correct word/usage/spelling. Everyone posting on the Dis can access some type of spell-check app, so there is really no excuse for that.

On a message board, it never bothers me when people type in a casual or conversational way, but consistently using incorrect grammar, spelling, etc. does, unfortunately, makes the poster appear less educated. Before anyone asks, no, I do not think you need a college education in order to post. All of the mistakes mentioned here are things that students should learn well before graduating high school.

<<Insert required disclaimer for people with disabilities and for those for whom English is not their primary language. It should be obvious that nobody is referring to those individuals, but I'm sure some poster will bring it up eventually. :rolleyes:>>

<<Insert required disclaimer for people with disabilities and for those for whom English is not their primary language. It should be obvious that nobody is referring to those individuals, but I'm sure some poster will bring it up eventually. :rolleyes:>>

Ironically many times I will read comments sections, or other message boards and someone says "excuse my typing as english is not my first language", but their grammar is better than all of the native english speakers! It seems to be either lack of education or just plain laziness.

Plural words don't require an apostrophe - that's usage & has nothing to do w/ spelling. An apostrophe indicates possession or contraction - "The Smiths' house has many windows, doesn't it?"

And if more than 1 person is living in the house, the sign on the door shouldn't say, The Smith's but, rather, The Smiths' or just simply The Smiths.

This is the one that irritates me - not necessarily on message boards, but in real life. We live in a community of over 900 homes and the residents have the option of hanging a standard sign in their yards with their names on it. OMG. How many The Brown's or The William's have I seen? You would think the fellow making the signs might point out the mistake, or maybe he's clueless as well.

The business down the road has huge lettering attached to the side of the building that says: Custom Kitchen Cabinet's. How many times have I wanted to snatch that apostrophe off that building?

Nobody's perfect but sometimes a little extra diligence is warranted.

There's some that get to me as well, but lose/loose DRIVES ME CRAZY!!

Others:

Rediculous instead of Ridiculous (where did the E come from??)

Apostrophe abuse. When in doubt, leave it out. (IMO)

People who say "the absolute worse thing" instead of "worst".

These things bother me, because it makes it seem like people get lazy and become offended when you point out their mistakes.

Eventually this lack of grammar can cause problems, especially when it comes to translating to other languages.

Punctuation, it saves lives:

"Let's eat grandma!"

"Let's eat, grandma!"

How do you feel about the exaggerated use of question and exclamation marks?

I'll jump in" This is a funny thread. Don't forget "prolly". Don't think it is even an actual word. It is "probably" people! Get it right!!!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter