Lose 25% Future Cruise Credit

Cavs49

Earning My Ears
Was wondering if others had this issue ... we had our cruise cancelled because of the pandemic (more than once) but have been excited by the prospect of 25% cruise credit. We scheduled our cruise for the Wish in mid-June with the idea of making sure we used the cruise credit before the September 30th deadline. Disney then canceled our cruise because the Wish wasn't ready to go. With school and football starting for our 3 kids we can't make it work before September 30 When we called to reschedule for a later date after September 30 they told us the 25% would be forfeit. Basically said "To bad ... so sad." Even though we tried to do what they required for the cruise credit by booking before the cut-off ... and Disney canceled that cruise, making it impossible for us to work out the dates. Just wondering if others are having this issue and what if anything you have done to try and recoup the cruise credit. Thanks for reading.

I am pretty sure DCL will do nothing for you. It is really unfortunate situation and I agree not one of your own doing but every time I have asked this question I am told Sept 30th or bust for FCC at the 25% premium.

Yep same as those placeholders, many were extended to September 2022.

Once they let you extend it, what about the rest of us? I'm sure at this point, they just want it off their books. I was able to use it for one room, but we did forfeit it for our second room, because my other family isn't able to travel at this time.

It’s not DCLs fault you chose to not sail by the end of the offer- so no you won’t get much sympathy. Since in their eyes you had over a full year to take advantage of it.

I do feel for the ones who split their FCC and didn’t/couldn’t use the second part as it’s very likely they’ll forfeit that money due to technicalities…

Once they let you extend it, what about the rest of us? I'm sure at this point, they just want it off their books. I was able to use it for one room, but we did forfeit it for our second room, because my other family isn't able to travel at this time.
I think I had read somewhere when I owned Disney shares in the past that their fiscal year closes 9/30 of each calendar year. So to me the extension makes sense up until that point. They want that liability off their P&L statements into the next fiscal year.

I understand what you are saying ... but we did choose to use it. Disney canceled the cruise after we did what they stated in order to use the FCC. Maybe that wasn't clear in the original post.
I hear where you are coming from and agree that Disney cancelling your cruise on the wish should have consideration but I still don’t think they care. They don’t want to deal with it anymore so that is their approach. Sort of like how they don’t care that people still want paper navigators. It’s not right but unfortunately it is what it is.

I understand what you are saying ... but we did choose to use it. Disney canceled the cruise after we did what they stated in order to use the FCC. Maybe that wasn't clear in the original post.
But the Wish’s cancellations were in early Feb so still 7 months to pivot to another sailing…

We were originally on 6/20 so had to pivot as well (and crossed fingers we sail in 2 weeks)

Unfortunately DCL has to draw a line because one exception leads to millions

Wish my wife and I had jobs that were more flexible and we could have done that. Unfortunately for us that was not an option.

Good luck - on your sailing. Wish we could give you our 25% FCC that we won't be getting.

You could have chosen a different ship - the fantasy and dream were both sailing out of florida during the time you were going on the wish. I get it - not what you wanted, but you did have options to take advantage of the FCC.

We also forfeited some FCC. Our sons decided to go to Hawaii instead of waiting for Disney to start sailing again.

I am sorry this happened with your credit, but unfortunately a lot of people were unable to make use of the goodwill credit for one reason or another. There was nothing else offered for those folks either. I have not heard of a single person being extended past the 9/30 cutoff as others have said.

I had this same scenario. I pled my case making the same argument as you, “we tried to use the credit but cruises were canceled by DCL 3 times” but to no avail. We ended up booking an Alaska cruise for the first week of September without our kids (first time ever). Spending alot of money just to not let that 25% expire. Haha.

It definitely sucks, but you are sort of losing free money. I would be much more upset about losing the base investment. I looked at the FCC as icing on the cake. If we have to cancel our upcoming cruise, we would end up losing the FCC too, I think. This situation is really no one's fault, including Disney's. It's a raw deal for everyone, unfortunately.

I'm with DCL on this one, and I often don't take their side in customer service issues.

The 25% bonus is a goodwill gift, not an entitlement. If you're able to use it by the deadline, great, but if not, oh well. I gave up my 25% long ago, because I was so sick of the repeat cancellations back when cruising was still closed. Oh, well. I didn't lose a penny of my own money, and that's what really matters.

DCL has lost a ton of money from a closed down fleet for a year+, and tons of last-minute refunds given to guests who are exposed to or positive for Covid. I've had to take that refund myself, and I got it without any grilling or documentation required, all of my money back into my account within days, just a week before the cruise, due to Covid exposure.

I think DCL is providing good customer service by making sure customers don't lose any actual money due to Covid. Not having the opportunity to use a perk is a bit of a bummer, but it doesn't constitute poor customer service on DCL's part. It's more them drawing the line on how much they can keep shelling out financially as a goodwill gesture.

My chime in - not exactly on point. Concierge level was not permitted to cancel during Covid for a refund -2 times I cancelled and rescheduled out of an abundance of caution - they later cancelled, but I couldn’t risk the timeline. I lost several hundred $ of my deposit each time but it gave me peace of mind. I am going on the Wish with my funds from 2 years ago and hope to not reschedule, because I honestly can’t figure when my family could cruise before the next deadline.

I completely get you. We had the added complication that US boarders didn't open up in time for one of my rescheduled cruises. Since then I've had to play around and ended up with a September 26th cruise with FCC. If for some reason this doesn't happen then I will have to take the FCC hit but we shall see (everything is crossed nothing will go wrong). I honestly had hoped they would have extended into next year as a buffer but the fiscal year makes complete sense to me so I understand the requirement. Unfortunately they can't help out one situation without opening it to a whole different set of issues. Being a international it is harder to reschedule etc but I also appreciate that Disney are a business so ultimately need to try and make some money back from the last few years. Having this credit hanging around does their profits no good.

you are not alone in this. Many people for one reason or another had to give up the credit. If it helps, remind yourself it wasn't money that you actually paid, so you really aren't losing any money. You just aren't gaining the bonus. If it doesn't fit your schedule to cruise and use the credit, it's really ok.

If we aren't able to board next week, we'll lose ours too. I'm bummed about it, but there's not a lot I can do. Though, I do feel like with Covid levels where they are currently, it would be nice to maybe have a little bit of an extension. We are in the midst of a pretty crazy surge. We want to use that money badly, but I'm literally on pins and needles every day if we test positive between now and the day we embark!

If we aren't able to board next week, we'll lose ours too. I'm bummed about it, but there's not a lot I can do. Though, I do feel like with Covid levels where they are currently, it would be nice to maybe have a little bit of an extension. We are in the midst of a pretty crazy surge. We want to use that money badly, but I'm literally on pins and needles every day if we test positive between now and the day we embark!
I really, really feel you on this. Our cruise is early Sept. and I'm already stressing. I hope everything goes smoothly for you and you get to enjoy the best ever vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter