Los Angeles just hit by earthquake

Wouldn't it be nice if just for once nobody went to City Hall to compain? I mean it really isn't Disneyland's fault there was an earthquake. :confused3

People should just consider it an extra E ticket ride! :lmao:

It would be nice, but you know that's not going to happen. Someone will want their entire week refunded because they were permanently scarred and it was all Disney's fault. :rolleyes:

I feel for those poor CMs at City Hall.

But then again you never know, miracles do happen and maybe no one will complain. ;)

I've read that USH is (or soon will be) taking trams over the collapsing bridge again. Imagine that during an earthquake!

Why should anyone get a refund? It's not Disney's fault, for heaven's sake. And if the rides are down or 2 hours or 6- if they're checking to make sure they're safe, I think that's what's most important.

It's like asking for a refund if it rains all day in FL. Or in case of a hurricane. It's just life, y'know? Don't wanna risk it- you can always stay home and watch all the rides on YouTube! :confused3

I didnt mean to upset anyone I was just asking.

I know it not Disneyland's fault but I just thought that maybe they might get something to make tourist feel better about the earthquake. I remember this one lady was happy her AP was upgraded because some CM asked her and her crying child to leave the Aladdin show.

we didn't get any type of refund when we were evacuated from WDW during 9/11 or during Hurricane Floyd...so I kind of don't think so....;)

Hey we were at WDW for our honeymoon for Hurricane Floyd!!!!

Anyways, I live right by the epicenter and I was vacuuming the floor. I nearly fell over and my kids who have never experienced one just looked at me. They weren't scared or anything. It felt like someone picked up my house and threw it back on the ground. Nothing fell over.

Dh decided to drive by the epicenter and nothing was out of the ordinary. Its been quite a long time since we've experienced an earthquake but in all honesty that was pretty tame.

As for the attractions, as a former CM, I believe some automatically shut down when a tremor is registered of significant size. The coasters continue to run until they reach the end of the ride. After an earthquake they have crews go out and inspect each ride to make sure there is no damage and reopen them one by one. Its standard in the business. My first day of to work for DL, SoCal was hit by the Landers quake and still had report to work because the park didn't shut down. That was a much larger quake than the one today.

I didnt mean to upset anyone I was just asking.

I know it not Disneyland's fault but I just thought that maybe they might get something to make tourist feel better about the earthquake. I remember this one lady was happy her AP was upgraded because some CM asked her and her crying child to leave the Aladdin show.

She must have reeeeally made a stink!! If the child was disturbing others and she wasn't doing anything about it, I think the CM was in the right. But who knows if that was the case.

A ticket refund would be way too much for them, especially when it was something completely out of their control. If they were going to do anything for everyone as a whole, I would imagine they'll probably keep the park open an extra hour, it would be tough for them to hand stuff out to upset guests because it would probably be too much work to keep track of who they already gave a free FP or meal ticket to.

We were there for the last big earthquake that affected Disneyland. I am reassured that they check the rides before continuing buisness as usual and that they have ride shut-offs. Safety is paramount! Our family took a vote and decided there was not going to be a safer place in all of LA and went to the park when they reopened later that day. It doesn't need to ruin anyone's vacation and no one should expect anything from Disney. Itn's a natural event (whether we like it or not). Glad things are pretty good around the area all things considered.

She must have reeeeally made a stink!! If the child was disturbing others and she wasn't doing anything about it, I think the CM was in the right. But who knows if that was the case.

A ticket refund would be way too much for them, especially when it was something completely out of their control. If they were going to do anything for everyone as a whole, I would imagine they'll probably keep the park open an extra hour, it would be tough for them to hand stuff out to upset guests because it would probably be too much work to keep track of who they already gave a free FP or meal ticket to.

I agree about refunding everyone would be way too much. The morning of 9/11, both WDW and DL closed their parks and I don't think they refunded anyone..

We were in the Starcade playing Mario Kart, waiting for a friend to get off SM.

Hey, did you see my DS? He was in Starcade playing DDR. He said the quake messed up his game. My niece and I were on the railroad sitting at the Tomorrowland station. You could tell many of us were thinking "This isn't normal for the railroad; this is an earthquake!?!"

From my perspective, it wasn't chaos. It was well handled. All the cast members seemed to be quite helpful and professional. Virtually everything (all rides & shops) were shut down as I would have expected. (I also went to DL on 10/1/87, the day of the Whittier Quake). I figured all the rides would be shut down for awhile so I headed over to DTD for lunch. DTD looked more like nighttime for the crowds with the restaurants that were open pretty packed (some such as Tortilla Joes were "closed for the day"). We had to catch our plane back to the bay area later in the afternoon, so it just cut out a couple of rides for us. As we left Main Street, we were told that they check everything out and tend to open up one side at a time. (The ice cream parlor seemed to be open around noon, but everything else was closed). World of Disney was open by the time we made it there (around noon). We heard from cast members there that they were planning on evacuating guests to "safe havens" that DL has set up. I don't know if that was ever done.

This is California, and once again I was convinced that Disney places safety first so I for one could not get upset that my vacation was cut (ever so slightly) short.

I agree about refunding everyone would be way too much. The morning of 9/11, both WDW and DL closed their parks and I don't think they refunded anyone..

They didn't and neither did the competition. I know that some folks wound up with a free ticket when they had to close. National and Natural disasters are one thing...yes, it ends your day, but it's an act of God.

When the news people announced the earthquake I immediately hoped that no one was hurt and my second thought was "how is disneyland".
I am glad that both are safe. I do feel very bad for those who have property damage also. My prayers are with you all.

My best friend also lives in Corona and it was scary to hear her tell me about the earthquake. Her daughter just started back to school on Monday and never experienced an earthquake before and her school was 3 miles from the epicenter. She called her mom crying wanting to come home. Very scary.

Btw, the earthquake was not in Los Angeles. It was in Riverside county, close to the Orange County line. Sorry, but as a born raised local, not everything out here is LA. I can't stand the Angels are the Los Angeles Angels!! :mad:
I thought that they just changed the name again to include Anaheim. They are now the "Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim". Kind of a mouthful if you ask me. I preferred "The California Angels" myself.

Well I work at LAX, I'm sure there were some people that just landed and have never been to LA before (we get alot from Austrailia, and Brazil)

I'm sure they were ready to cash in on a return flight :rotfl:

:wizard: Rudy

Here in Corona (about 30 miles east of DLR) in Riverside County we felt it pretty hard. :scared1: We were standing on our front porch getting ready to leave for lunch and I felt it start to rock. Then I saw the plants in the front yard moving! Very strange. Lived in So. Cal. all my life (45+ years) and it's the first time I've ever been outside, standing (not in car) when it hit. We had some minor damage-actually had items fall off shelves and a few things broke. Again, the first time we've ever had minor damage.

Luckily it looks there was no major damage or injuries. Even the 91/241 flyovers passed Cal Trans inspecition.

My DSister was on her way to work at the new Lowes in Chino Hills(near the epicenter) and was on the road when it hit. It took us over an hour to reach her by cel phone. Verizon was certainly overloaded today! That's why I'll never rely solely on cel phone usage. I'm keeping my land line!

Oh, and we were at WDW last Sept. when they had an earthquake hit there on our 2nd day. Guess we brought it with us!

Sorry everyone got scared, even though I live with the threat, daily, it was a little scary for me as well. DD8 was at school so I couldn't even hug her until she got home this afternoon. :grouphug:

Go Angels! (I refuse to call them the L.A. Angels )

I heard that Verizon was the worse one for cell service yesterday. DH works in Ontario and everyone at his work with T-Mobile or Sprint was able to make calls shortly after the quake. I have Verizon at home and was unable to call out, and my T-Mobile cell couldn't call out, but I was able to receive calls on both. I heard on the news yesterday that using text messaging on the cell phones is better in an emergency situation because it usus less bandwidth. I was able to text out before I could call out. Interesting, huh?

There was a small quake in June of 2005 in our area (I'm in Riverside) and we were outside. It is definitely a different experience when you are not hearing all the noises the house makes and rather just feeling and seeing it outdoors!

I heard that Verizon was the worse one for cell service yesterday. DH works in Ontario and everyone at his work with T-Mobile or Sprint was able to make calls shortly after the quake. I have Verizon at home and was unable to call out, and my T-Mobile cell couldn't call out, but I was able to receive calls on both. I heard on the news yesterday that using text messaging on the cell phones is better in an emergency situation because it usus less bandwidth. I was able to text out before I could call out. Interesting, huh?

There was a small quake in June of 2005 in our area (I'm in Riverside) and we were outside. It is definitely a different experience when you are not hearing all the noises the house makes and rather just feeling and seeing it outdoors!

Yes, you are right about the noises you hear when you are inside a house as opposed to being outside. I also find that I am MUCH less nervous and scared if I am in a public place with people than if I am at home, alone. Even though there is the possibility of mass chaos and panic in crowds of people, I would feel better at Disneyland during a quake than sitting in my old apartment with thin, creaky walls!

I heard that Verizon was the worse one for cell service yesterday. DH works in Ontario and everyone at his work with T-Mobile or Sprint was able to make calls shortly after the quake. I have Verizon at home and was unable to call out, and my T-Mobile cell couldn't call out, but I was able to receive calls on both.

Our cell phone service is sprint and I was unable to use it as well as my H (work cell is sprint). Our land line was verizon and at first we couldn't get a dial tone but after a couple of seconds it would come on and you can call out. I was able to receive calls and my inlaws are in temecula (verizon) and they had the same problem. We were located 4 miles from the epicenter.

Our cell phone service is sprint and I was unable to use it as well as my H (work cell is sprint). Our land line was verizon and at first we couldn't get a dial tone but after a couple of seconds it would come on and you can call out. I was able to receive calls and my inlaws are in temecula (verizon) and they had the same problem. We were located 4 miles from the epicenter.

I am in L.A. I also have Sprint and it took about 45 minutes yesterday for me to receive text messages from a friend in Anaheim after the quake. Today, my Internet is acting weird and I think my cable/Internet company has had some problems post-quake because they are also having trouble with their digital phone service. My modem just lost its signal out of nowhere, and I think it is quake related.

What is scary to consider is that this was only a 5.4 quake, 30 miles out form L.A., BUT because it was still relatively close to L.A. and heavily populated areas, technological things went awry. What on earth will happen when we have a big quake? Not even THE Big One, but any big one! There are so many unknown faults underneath California - the Northridge quake was on a previously unknown fault and you saw what that one was like - and any of them could erupt at any time, and be far worse than any San Andreas quake depending on location! There is a fault that runs right underneath me here in Beverly Hills, and every now and then it lets off a little baby 1.0 quake, but because it is right underneath me, it feels like a bomb just exploded. Imagine a 5.4 quake on this same Bev Hills fault! We would be destroyed and that is not even considered a 'big' quake! Now, the geologists and scientists are saying in no uncertain terms that a 7.9 - 8.1 quake WILL happen sometime in the next DECADE on the San Andreas. Just a few months ago, they were still saying the old vague "in the next 30 years" business. Now it is in the next ten years! Suddenly, they are being forthright and telling us what they probably knew all along - in the next ten years, it IS coming and that is a fact! And that is if another quake on another fault doesn't get to us first!

So it makes you wonder what will happen with technology and with people when that fateful moment occurs? Will it be the end of civilization as we know it in Los Angeles, as mass panic and pandemonium spreads in the streets and all lines of communication and power and financial access are down? I ask myself, why am I living here?! I can't imagine moving far away from Disneyland, but frankly, I don't want to be here when ANY Big One hits! It is like sitting on a ticking time bomb, now that the scientists are being more specific and honest about what they know. It is a scary thought!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter