• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Los Angeles County now under stay at home order

Our Governor in NY insists that won't happen in NYC....we shall see.

MJ

Welllll.....here in Sacramento County we were given our 'stay at home' "request" yesterday. The mayor said it was different from the shelter in place in the Bay Area because it wouldn't be enforced by law because he "really didn't want to have to do that." Then this afternoon, boom, Sacramento decided to enforce it by law. Then this evening, BOOM! The governor mandated it for the whole state!

Sooo I'd say for everyone else...be prepared. It's comin', y'all. It's coming.

For any of you with experience or information on stay at home orders, I have a question because it is rumored that my state will be doing this within the next few days. Would I be allowed to drive to and from my sister's house, 2 miles away, to pick up her kids in the morning, take them to my house for the day, then return them home in the evening? We would not be stopping anywhere, just traveling from one house to the other. My sister is telecommuting for work due to the virus and isn't able to do that and watch the kids at the same time. We've been doing this since the schools closed. Will we be able to continue?

I'm no expert, but I believe this would probably fall under "caring for family members", which is allowed.

The word I've heard from police departments is that they take a compassionate approach to this. If someone is doing something wrong, they're more likely to give a warning. And in many case there has been incorrect application of the orders where they had to do things like rescind citations issued.

Here's one of the orders:

https://cchealth.org/coronavirus/pdf/HO-COVID19-SIP-0316-2020.pdfhttps://cchealth.org/coronavirus/pdf/Stay-Home-Order-FAQs.pdf
Theoretically what you're doing wouldn't be exempt, but they do allow for childcare. What you're doing would likely be something that is in the gray area.
Under the orders in CA now, yes, what you're asking about would be permissible. We cannot have gatherings of any size, except in for small family events in private residences, and we have to provide hand sanitizer/wipes if we do.
Thank you to both of you. Even though you differ a bit in your responses, I feel more prepared for what to expect.
Stay safe!

Welllll.....here in Sacramento County we were given our 'stay at home' "request" yesterday. The mayor said it was different from the shelter in place in the Bay Area because it wouldn't be enforced by law because he "really didn't want to have to do that." Then this afternoon, boom, Sacramento decided to enforce it by law. Then this evening, BOOM! The governor mandated it for the whole state!

Sooo I'd say for everyone else...be prepared. It's comin', y'all. It's coming.

I'm no expert, but I believe this would probably fall under "caring for family members", which is allowed.

Its funny because the Mayor of NYC insists it should be done but the Gov has the power to enact it and he says he won't. I can see the writing on the wall and would not be surprised at all if went into effect statewide.

MJ

Thank you! I'm feeling better about this. I'm taking all of the restrictions very seriously because I believe that they are in the best interest of us all, but I do feel that it's important for family members to be able to continue to support one another.

I’m in the Midwest but figuring this will be coming to every state in the next week or so. I’m a nanny for a nurse. Would that be considered essential work? If I don’t go to her house to watch her kids during the day she can’t go to work at the hospital.

I'm here in LA and pray more folks do take care in general and use common sense/preplanning when possible to limit going out. I believe essential outings such as for medical appointments or grocery shopping/laundrymat are still allowable. I would think picking up children from a relative's home especially if Grandparents for example are providing care while parents work would be all right too.

As I have posted in another thread, I pray to live in faith and truly know all will be well. Let's indeed grow kinder and closer as families and as a nation during these times!

So what exactly does that mean?
Are you not allowed to leave your homes unless it is for necessities like food and medical reasons?

I’m in the Midwest but figuring this will be coming to every state in the next week or so. I’m a nanny for a nurse. Would that be considered essential work? If I don’t go to her house to watch her kids during the day she can’t go to work at the hospital.

Yes that would be considered essential, from everything I have read.

To be clear though, for those who are a bit uneasy about this coming to your state, we CAN go out for exercise, such as going for walks in the neighborhood or on trails, just maintain the 6 feet of distance if you happen to encounter others. You can absolutely visit relatives that are in need of care.

Really I don't think it's THAT much different than what most states are being asked to do already, anyway. It's just in a more "official" capacity. It's not like there will be armed guards patrolling the streets throwing people in jail for not staying inside, stopping cars demanding to know just WHERE exactly you are headed. But if you push it too far (mostly for things like congregating in large groups) you will be warned, possibly fined, and in an extreme (albeit unlikely) scenario possibly face jail time.

Thank you! I'm feeling better about this. I'm taking all of the restrictions very seriously because I believe that they are in the best interest of us all, but I do feel that it's important for family members to be able to continue to support one another.
In the report I heard, we were told to behave as if we already have the virus and are trying to protect others around us. So, small gatherings are allowed, up to 9 people, but we should still continue to practice social distance - no closer to 6-feet, even when getting together with family/close friends, and ensure people wash their hands vigorously, and/or provide hand gel.

CDC FAQs: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

abc news: https://abc7.com/health/la-county-i...f2YTbpQ-4mg8brt0vCDR7EJH9ZybBGteiEn2vKcoKf7Qw

Social Distancing:
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...navirus-social-distancing-and-self-quarantinehttps://www.npr.org/sections/health...et-serious-about-social-distancing-here-s-howhttps://www.latimes.com/science/sto...s-tips-the-dos-and-donts-of-social-distancing

Last edited:
In the report I heard, we were told to behave as if we already have the virus and are trying to protect others around us. So, small gatherings are allowed, up to 9 people, but we should still continue to practice social distance - no closer to 6-feet, even when getting together with family/close friends, and ensure people wash their hands vigorously, and/or provide hand gel.
In my case (you quoted me), I'm changing diapers, feeding, rocking them to sleep. The 6 feet thing doesn't really work. There's no way to not share space with babies and toddlers.
I do get your point, in general. It's just not always practical.

Here in Las Vegas it is just eerie. Who would every expect that the whole city would shut down. In fact, the governor told us that only essential businesses stay open. Everything else is CLOSED. He got angry in his press conference when someone tried to ask about a loophole.
Unfortunately, this is going to be everyone's "normal" for the next couple of weeks. Too surreal.

Since your allowed to go to the grocery store. What’s going to happen a lot people are going to go there every day just to get out of the house. Maybe get a few things every day. Grocery stores will still be crowded which is not going to be good.

I wish something similar would happen here in Florida. The delayed responses that have happened here are ridiculous. Especially since day cares are being kept open while schools are closed.
Good for CA.
I thought it was strange that many daycares are open. Then I realized that healthcare and grocery store workers and waste management workers and other essential service workers have children to care for. Many could not go to work without daycares. Open daycares are essential if we want to keep as many essential services as we can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter