Loose vs. Lose!

It's more of a colloquial or phonetic-ish (yes, I know that's not a word!) issue than a UK/US thing. Most people just spell it the way they use it, wrong though it may be :)

It's more of a colloquial or phonetic-ish (yes, I know that's not a word!) issue than a UK/US thing. Most people just spell it the way they use it, wrong though it may be :)

Gramma, Me-Maw, Grand Mère, Avia, Abuela, Bubie, GMILF -- ah answers to'em all. (jist stakin' out mah territory on the other side of the great smarty/fancy-pants divide)

Ah, the dreaded "Gotten". ...

Gotten is the past tense of GET. However, it came over to the Americas with the British, but over time, it seemed to drop out of all UK vernacular, and only American's have held onto the word. We use it in a way that no other English speaking country does. It is reported that the UK only use it in the way that you described "ill-gotten means" or the like. We use it as "I would have gotten the bread yesterday if you told me we were out of bread." Or, "She had gotten the infection from bad seafood."

Actually, some Canadians also use 'gotten' as the past tense of 'get'. I had a grammar book when I was translating in Japan that listed UK, American and Canadian grammar differences. Gotten was one of the things I looked up a lot because it took awhile to sink in (my mother hates the word in any other than the UK usage), but, they listed the Canadian past tense of 'get' as wishy-washy with some people following UK standards and some people following American standards.

Good God in Heaven. My boyfriend sounds like a fancy pants.

No, he just sounds like a teacher. :)

this thread makes me laugh, i can't STAND it when people spell such ridiculously easy stuff wrong!!! The you're/your and their/they're/there and two/to/too are the ones that irk me the most. UGH also "through" and "threw". :confused:

it also annoys me when people get certain sayings wrong. i realize that some of this comes from being from different regions of the country, but sometimes people are just soooo off it makes me giggle. Makes me wonder who they picked up the phrases from!

although i will admit, apostrophe's still confuse me sometimes (i know, i know...i dunno what it is, possesives throw me all off). ALSO, i realize i'm not capitalizing my "i"'s...but that's because sometime during 10th grade i decided i was going to emulate e.e. cummings and it just kind of stuck. :upsidedow

AND...because i haven't complained enough, lol...I CAN'T STAND IT when people say "probly" or "libary." AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

k i'm done now. :thumbsup2

AND...because i haven't complained enough, lol...I CAN'T STAND IT when people say "probly" or "libary." HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a whole new ball game!

My pet peeve is February pronounced as FebUary, or Secretary pronounced as SecAtary. If you can't say the word properly then how can you be expected to spell it

Oh! I was listening to a radio talk show last week, hosted by a long-term TV news reporter. The topic at the moment was Citgo, and he continually pronounced one of the South American countries, "Venz-yoo-ail-ya".

But, what can one expect in a country whose President believes nuclear is pronounced "noo-cue-lar"?

I post on a clique thread where we JOKINGLY call it the "liberry" because the little boy I used to nanny called it that. So if anyone stumbles across those posts and thinks I don't know any better, I do. ;)

When I was a wee lad, I read a book that, for some reason I no longer remember, contained the phrase "there's A RAT in 'separate'" (I assume it had something to do with a character's inability to spell the word). To this day I still remember that passage and never spell "separate" incorrectly. Strange, the things you remember (and things you forget!)

My 4th grade teacher, who reeked of patchouli but was otherwise a perfectly nice person, taught us about "a rat" in "separate". I never forgot it. Just about all of the all time great errors have been mentioned, but I didn't see "anyways". It's ANYWAY, people...NO "S"!:mad: :eek: :sad2:
(pause)

Thanks. I feel better. :)

Oh, God, I just used a smiley face. Kill me now.

"Make due" is making me nuts. I will have to make do with what I've got. :)

Why do so many people think the plural of bus is busses? Isn't it buses?:confused3

That's a typographical error ;) that I make regularly. I do know that buses is the correct spelling, but, I cannot seem to teach my fingers. Does anyone know why?

" Why do so many people think the plural of bus is busses? Isn't it buses? "

In any event , I drive a car!

<G>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter