Looks like Universal's Halloween event outdoes Disney

Mouseaholic!!!

DIS Veteran
I know this is treading in very dangerous waters here .... but I found this in the DIS. Awards won for their Halloween nights ---- andby larger margins than last year.

They must be doing something right!

Universal's Halloween Horror Nights wins awards
By Leah Zanolla
Oct 1, 2009

Universal Orlando has won two awards for its Halloween Horror Nights event. Amusement Today, an industry magazine, named them "Best Halloween Event" based on a fan vote. The fright show was the winner of this award last year also, but won by a larger margin this year. They were also named "Top Theme Park Halloween Haunted Event" by Hauntworld.com, a Halloween attraction and haunted house directory.

Ok, I'll bite...

What I'm interested in is who voted/judged and what was the criteria?

Some day when my children are older, they may enjoy "horror nights", but for now we'll enjoy the "not-so-scary" party with the most fantastic parade ever! ;)

I wonder if Disney is even included in that vote...its not quite apples-to-apples...

"top Theme Park Haunted Event" makes me think they were only rating similar experiences.

I used to enjoy that, not so much anymore. But I can guarantee if that was what I was looking for, of course Disney's doesn't cut it (because that's not what they're going for)

Big shock...Mouseaholic praising Universal and dis'ing Disney.

First the two events are totally different for different crowds.
So it's hardly fair to say one is better than the other.
Once is aimed at teens and young adults.
The other little kids and parents.

As for the results...it's fan votes. Not true award for best.
Teens are more likely to go to Universal and more likely to be online and vote. Certainly more than the 4 year olds at MNSSHP.
Also, any "vote" can be altered. people set up websites just to get votes for themselves to win local contests. Universal could have promoted the heck out it, while Disney didn't bother.
Hardly means Univeral is better.
That's like saying a certain movie that grossed 20m and but won the fan vote is better than the one that grossed 100m and won the Oscar.
From the stand point of doing better, the 100m gross is the winner.

If someone likes US Halloween events better ok
If someone like Disney's better..that's good too.

One is aimed at teens and young adults.
The other little kids and parents.

As for the results...it's fan votes. Not true award for best.

Exactly. The events are designed for two completely different audiences. Apples to Oranges.

I have no doubt Universal appeals more to teens and young adults, it was designed to appeal to them.

Disney's event is designed to appeal to young families.

It's like comparing "Barney" to "Nightmare on Elm Street."

I agree that it is apples to oranges... From what I've heard from friends who have gone, Universal's party is amazing but NOT for little kids! I would love to make it down for one eventually, hopefully next year when we go check out the Harry Potter attractions, but it will be one of those times when we leave my girls behind with Grandma so DH & I can take DS11 to enjoy the creepiness.

MNSSHP is a cute event for kids and a nice addition to a Disney vacation, but not what comes to mind as a great attraction for Halloween lovers who tend to be more into the scares/thrills.

As others have said, they're two diffrent target audiences. If you're not a fan of scares, and have small children, Disney is the way to go. US is amazing for teens+ who enjoy a really good scare.

Just my opinion, but from a production value standpoint, I still think US Horror-nights blows Mickey's Party out of the water ... and that's coming from someone who prefers WDW to US. Being a huge movie/horror fan, US just seems to put a lot more effort into the themed night than what goes on at the MK. I still wouldn't recommend Horror Nights for everybody, but I'd agree that it's the best Halloween event going.

It's kinda like saying a rated 'R' movie can be one of the best films ever made, but you still don't want kids seeing it until they're older.

Universal does a great job with Halloween. But, it's completely different than what WDW does. US is indeed scary. I have to tell you...we were at US just for the day, the week before Halloween, a few years ago. What we saw of the Halloween stuff, that was out and about the park, was pretty scary. I can only imagine what they do for their special events. My dd, then 13, told me she was very happy to just do MNSSHP at MK, rather than Horror Nights at US.
Universal getting an award for their Horror Nights in no way takes away from what Disney does. They are two completely different things. It's like comparing Space Mt with Dueling Dragons...there is just no comparison at all.
Just goes to show that there is something for everyone in Orlando...good to know.

You can't even get into Universal's Halloween event if you are under 13. My BFF looked into it, thinking it would be fun to do both. But the only night would be Thursday night and with the word on these boards being that Friday is a holiday for the local schools, it will be crazy crowded.

Ugh - a park filled with screaming, screeching teens travelling in packs is ABSOLUTLEY my idea of horror. Having a 14 year old, if we lived local to Orlando and she wanted to go with her friends (along with a parent with ear plugs), I'd let her go. But I'm not flying in with my younger children, paying insane amounts of money for a trip, and getting excited about there being a hard-ticketed event which not all the members of my party would be able to attend.

Good for others, not for me. Looks like Universal is actually losing a huge market by keeping such a tight target audience. Teens may spend money but not as much as a whole family does.

You can't even get into Universal's Halloween event if you are under 13. My BFF looked into it, thinking it would be fun to do both.

That's not true. They don't recommend the event for kids under 13, but it isn't a rule and there's no minimum age for admittance.

I like both, the same, for different reasons.

I love Halloween Horror Nights so I can hang out with my friends, get scared, and have a good time. To me its like a huge halloween party with roller coasters & haunted houses.

I love MNSSHP because it is cute, and a fun event to do with your family. You get candy, and can dress up. Its a fun halloween party with neat parades and shows.

I couldn't go to one and not the other. I guess thats just me. I am 18 btw, so that may be why.

Totally different parties. Did not go to any yet but if I will want bloody mummies to scare me I will go at local scare house, do not feel a need to fly to Florida/Universal for that. However, I will not find cute Halloween event like Disney does at local fares and would fly today if I could.

Exactly. The events are designed for two completely different audiences. Apples to Oranges.

I have no doubt Universal appeals more to teens and young adults, it was designed to appeal to them.

Disney's event is designed to appeal to young families.

It's like comparing "Barney" to "Nightmare on Elm Street."

I agree with you. And I have to add that yes Barney is way scarier then Freddie.

Kae

No doubt that that is from the view point of an adults. Adults and older kids are who Universal targets with there cellibration. Where Disney who is more family oriented targets small kids. Halloween cellibrations at Universal and WDW, though primarily Universal is for the most part done for the LOCALS. What I mean by LOCALS, anyone living within day tripper distance of the parks. There are very few people who go out of there way to plan trips to Orlando for the Halloween cellibrations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter