• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking to vacation in Pigeon Forge TN

I live near the area and recommend Pancake Pantry.... seriously the best! On busy weeks the line can be out the door and into the Village sometimes, so an early start may be best.
I prefer Roaring Fork to Cades Cove, but both are great if you've never been.
I wasn't a huge Dollywood fan when I first moved here from Central Florida (duh ;) ) but it's grown on me and now I can't even imagine not having passes. They have some of the highest rated rollercoasters, and Lightning Rod is the fastest wooden and first wooden launch coaster. All my friends who've been on it said it's hands down their fav coaster ever and incredibly smooth. (It's still not officially open but guests can ride it during the day when they call for riders. I'm sure it will be officially open by April when you're there.)

I'm from TN and my family goes to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg about 4 times a year. My sister lives about an hour from there and they go more often.

A tip for Dollywood: They usually have a special where if you arrive on your first day after 3pm, you can get in the next day for free.

The Pottery House is our favorite place to eat. We also love the Pigeon Forge Deli.

For dessert, The Cider Bar at the Apple Barn has the best fried apple pies ever.
Breakfast: Pancake Pantry. Ask for the peanut butter syrup! It's only listed on the kids menu but it is so amazing!

My parents love to go to the different dinner shows around town. Definitely try to go to Clingman's Dome and spend time in the Smokies. We like to ride the tram to Ober and do some of the activities up there.

Last edited:
My apologies. I meant Riverhouse Motorlodge... It is ranked #9. I believe you are speaking of the Clarion located by the Island? If that is the case, yes you could walk to a number of things, but i wouldn't recommend it. Gatlinburg is much more condusive to walking. Pigeon Forge has a six lane road running through it with heavy traffic. As far as Pigeon Forge goes, you are in a good area and there are shops within walking distance. If you cross the six lane park way (actually more like 8 lanes at your location due to turning lanes and a busy intersection) the island offers many of the great shops and moonshine tastings that you can experience in Gatlinburg. Everyone is diffferent, you may very well like Pigeon Forge, but Gatlinburg is more my style.

Pigeon Forge

pigeon-forge.jpg

Gatlinburg

mast-gatlinburg.jpg

You can see from the pics that Gatlinburg is much more condensed. I rarely see anyone walking the sidewalks of Pigeon Forge. Gatlinburg sidewalks are huge and often full. Gatlinburg is walkable, Pigeon Forge is not. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but you will end up driving or taking a trolley. We have walked the length of Gatlinburg multiple times. There are even trails straight out of town into the national park.

Can you recommend a reputable resort that offers cabin that will allow a small dog (maltese).

Can you recommend a reputable resort that offers cabin that will allow a small dog (maltese).
I would look at Chalets personally. A quick google search of Gatlinburg Chalet will turn up a number of companies. There are a handful of resorts with cabins, unfortunately I've never stayed at any. We've always gone hotel in town or mountain chalet.

Thank You
I would look at Chalets personally. A quick google search of Gatlinburg Chalet will turn up a number of companies. There are a handful of resorts with cabins, unfortunately I've never stayed at any. We've always gone hotel in town or mountain chalet.
Thank You for the info.

Just got back this weekend from 5 days in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg! We rented a dog friendly cabin from vrbo. There were quite a few dog friendly options and the pet fees vary and are listed on the page for each cabin.

I am also from NY and we love this area. I have been 4 times in the past 12 years and we stay in Pigeon Forge each time. I prefer the open space to the crowded streets of Gatlinburg but that is totally a preference. Both areas are amazing and have their pros and cons. We have stayed at the Clarion in Pigeon Forge before and it is a great deal. I could not believe how cheap we can stay in Pigeon Forge compared to other places closer to home. The Clarion rooms were very nice and it did have an indoor pool which you would need for an April vacation. The outdoor area was very nice too. Breakfast was great and we appreciated the little touches like cookies and popcorn at night. I think you would be very happy there. You can walk to Walden's Landing which has some shops and The Smoky Mountain Brewery where I could totally eat every night of my life and of course drink the Velles Helles like someone previously mentioned. We enjoyed the Gatlinburg location as well. We have also stayed at the Inn at Christmas Place which was amazing and was quite affordable when it first opened- we stayed right when it opened. It is now much pricier and since there are so many other nice hotels I can't justify the very high cost. We have also stayed at Music Road Resort which is really nice. In fact we are staying there again next weekend when we go for a quick a weekend trip to do the Dollywood Light the Way 5K. The Clarion is cheaper but the other two are very, very nice. All had a fabulous breakfast. I can see why the Clarion is rated number 1 on Trip Advisor as it truly is an amazing deal for the price. We really enjoyed the Island, outlets, and we love Dollywood. I actually enjoy it almost as much as Disney but in a different way. Disney vacation tend to be fast paced and so packed while Tennessee I always feel so relaxed and able to just enjoy myself. We went once in April for the Northeast spring break and it is a great time to visit. The weather is much nicer than NY at that time of year. The crowds were not bad at all- nothing in comparison to the summer crowds and nothing like hitting Myrtle Beach in April with everyone else in The Northeast. I really enjoy how friendly everyone is- very different from living in the Northeast. The mountain theme of Dollywood is very well done. We have done a few dinner shows and we enjoyed them and we love, love all the food in the area. The Apple Barn, Old Mill, Paula Deen's, and my beloved Smoky Mountain Brewery are all a must do each trip. I am hoping to try the Pigeon Forge Deli and possibly the Billy Goat Tavern this next trip. I could easily spend a week in this area and not get bored- the call of the mountains and the South get me every time. I am so sad to head back North and go home when we leave.

Thanks so much for the great response.

I am getting excited my kids not so much lol - they are not looking forward to the drive. We will be stopping at a motel after driving the 1st 1/2 if not a bit more. Any recommendations where to stay to split our drive each way?

I am also from NY and we love this area. I have been 4 times in the past 12 years and we stay in Pigeon Forge each time. I prefer the open space to the crowded streets of Gatlinburg but that is totally a preference. Both areas are amazing and have their pros and cons. We have stayed at the Clarion in Pigeon Forge before and it is a great deal. I could not believe how cheap we can stay in Pigeon Forge compared to other places closer to home. The Clarion rooms were very nice and it did have an indoor pool which you would need for an April vacation. The outdoor area was very nice too. Breakfast was great and we appreciated the little touches like cookies and popcorn at night. I think you would be very happy there. You can walk to Walden's Landing which has some shops and The Smoky Mountain Brewery where I could totally eat every night of my life and of course drink the Velles Helles like someone previously mentioned. We enjoyed the Gatlinburg location as well. We have also stayed at the Inn at Christmas Place which was amazing and was quite affordable when it first opened- we stayed right when it opened. It is now much pricier and since there are so many other nice hotels I can't justify the very high cost. We have also stayed at Music Road Resort which is really nice. In fact we are staying there again next weekend when we go for a quick a weekend trip to do the Dollywood Light the Way 5K. The Clarion is cheaper but the other two are very, very nice. All had a fabulous breakfast. I can see why the Clarion is rated number 1 on Trip Advisor as it truly is an amazing deal for the price. We really enjoyed the Island, outlets, and we love Dollywood. I actually enjoy it almost as much as Disney but in a different way. Disney vacation tend to be fast paced and so packed while Tennessee I always feel so relaxed and able to just enjoy myself. We went once in April for the Northeast spring break and it is a great time to visit. The weather is much nicer than NY at that time of year. The crowds were not bad at all- nothing in comparison to the summer crowds and nothing like hitting Myrtle Beach in April with everyone else in The Northeast. I really enjoy how friendly everyone is- very different from living in the Northeast. The mountain theme of Dollywood is very well done. We have done a few dinner shows and we enjoyed them and we love, love all the food in the area. The Apple Barn, Old Mill, Paula Deen's, and my beloved Smoky Mountain Brewery are all a must do each trip. I am hoping to try the Pigeon Forge Deli and possibly the Billy Goat Tavern this next trip. I could easily spend a week in this area and not get bored- the call of the mountains and the South get me every time. I am so sad to head back North and go home when we leave.

Thats totally up to you. I recommend hiking in something you are comfortable in. You do risk rolling your ankle without the supprot of a hiking boot though. Personally I hike in shoes and sandals with strong arch support. The arch support is the most important to me.

Thinking of hiking clingmans dome and laurel falls - how far of a drive are they from each other, and do u think we could do both in the same day? Assuming clingmans dome 1st thing in the morning like arriving by 10 then after that grab lunch and get to laurel falls. Opinions? this will most likely be our only day hiking.

This is what I am thinking for our schedule

Arrival Sunday afternoon - maybe go to the island in pigeon falls walk around and have dinner - any recommendations where to eat?

Monday - zip lining day / Dixie stempede dinner

Tuesday - hiking .... above itinerary - dinner gaitlinsberg walk around town

Wednesday - Dollywood

Thursday - trolley around pigeon forge - titanic museum - wing it

Friday - start our journey home....

Last edited:
Thinking of hiking clingmans dome and laurel falls - how far of a drive are they from each other, and do u think we could do both in the same day? Assuming clingmans dome 1st thing in the morning like arriving by 10 then after that grab lunch and get to laurel falls. Opinions? this will most likely be our only day hiking.

Arrival Sunday afternoon - maybe go to the island in pigeon falls walk around and have dinner - any recommendations where to eat?

Tuesday - hiking .... above itinerary - dinner gaitlinsberg walk around town

Wednesday - Dollywood

I think you can do both Clingman's Dome and Laurel Falls in the same day. I don't recall how far they are apart. Make sure Clingman's is open when you are going. They close the road during winter months. Also, allow some time for parking at Clingman's if it is a busy time of year. You may have to circle around more than once to get a spot. Laurel Falls is a pretty easy hike and not too long. Clingman's Dome hike is basically a paved road with a steep incline but there are a few places to sit along way if you need a rest.

Our favorite places to eat in Pigeon Forge are Old Mill Pottery House (not Old Mill Restaurant) and Pigeon Forge Deli. Pigeon Forge Deli is not too far from The Island. It is in a little shopping center tucked into the corner. They bake fresh sandwich bread every day (love the bread the BLT comes on!) and have the best soft Pretzels I have ever had in my life.

I think I would go to Mingo Falls if I was going to Clingman's Dome. Mingo in near Cherokee. It's doable, but Clingman's is steep, and I know i'm out of shape but knocks the wind out of me. Mingo Falls is a very large waterfall, and relatively shorter hike than Laurel Falls. I wanna think Laurel Falls would be a further drive but they may be equal, but Laurel Falls is heading towards Cade's Cove.

Tuesday - hiking .... above itinerary - dinner gaitlinberg walk around town

Wednesday - Dollywood

I would bring in a picnic lunch on your hiking day so that you don't have leave the park to get food and comeback in. That would be a more efficient use of time. There's so much scenic area that you may want more time to explore on your hiking day.

We kept pb and j and sandwich bread in the car on our trip. Much easier to make a sandwich for the kids when they got hungry than to leave, find food and come back.

I was actually thinking of staying In pigeon forge - we can park the car and walk to many things is this correct? We will be going mid April during spring break driving down from NYC. The weather is prob be 70's.

I would like to do a bit of everything - Dollywood - take a hike or 2 - and some mini golf, shows etc

Any must see?

Parking and walking around Pigeon Foge is not super practical-Gatlinburg is better for that. If you want a Park and Walk area to explore in Pigeon Forge I would recommend staying at a hotel in the area known as 'The Island.'

Thanks to all the guidance on here - since we had to cancel a different trip this year, my spouse encouraged me to find a cheap way to take this trip and to do the "not as big" attractions (aka - not Dollywood) to get us excited to take other family here next time. So, we are going 6 days/5 nights in the heart of this summer with a current all-included budget (travel, lodging, food, entertainment, etc) of about $2.1K for 6 (2 adults, 1 teen, 3 kids), with $600 of that covering our already-paid annual timeshare dues (since we're using our resorts, so OOP that's "free", but I do pay for them every year in dues)...I've stumbled on same great deals already and will keep looking (since one is refundable if I find better), but I'm pretty excited. Our plans...

Resort ($600 for dues)
Gas ($120 - 4 tanks)
Pet sitter (free - friend)

Attractions ($710 Total broken out below)
- Nature-Based ($70)
1. Forbidden Caverns (still need to buy, but this is spouse #1 desire - I plan $70, but hoping to see this pop up with a better coupon)
2. Smokey Mountains - Sugarlands Visitor Center with Waterfall Hike (free)
- Show-Based (1st 3 all bought - spouse #2 desire - have all tickets for $388 total, but will try to do better b/c this is refundable til 2 days prior) ($410, with tip for HM)
3. Hatfield and McCoy Dinner Show
4. Smoky Mountain Opry
5. Magic Beyond Belief with Daniel Romeo
6. The Island Water Show (free)
- Entertainment Based ($230)
7, 8, & 9. Ripleys' Attraction 3 pack (bought at $23/adult + shipping for all of us - this is not changeable) - Aquarium of the Smokies, Ripley's Haunted House (spouse #3 desire) are definite, but still deciding 3rd site
10. Wyndham Smokies indoor/outdoor waterpark day ("free" b/c it's included in our stay)
11. Bush's Baked Bean Museum (free - boys are dying for this, but this is 1st to go if I have to drop something:)) - will use some of souvie budget below if needed
12. Sugarlands Distillery Tour and Tasting = $10 for 2 tastings - tour is free and all ages (get $10 back to use on a product, so probably $30 total, when spouse picks his favorite - since he makes his own beer and mead, he's gonna love this surprise:))
13. Severveille Outlets Day (if it's raining on waterpark day, since the indoor park will only entertain so long) ($50 if I use this - but this gives me a souvie budget for more moonshine, if nothing else:))

Food (Planned, but if I see deals, I'll drop and change - $670:))...I have 2 meals a day out planned most days, but I may drop to 1 b/c we will be buying about $100 of this in groceries...depends how much of this rich food we can do. This is actually almost my largest expense category now, but even if we eat cheaper, we'll likely spend it doing things (I'd add in a coaster or 7d theater, b/c those were my spouse's other "we should try these if we can fit them in" stuff). I am planning no sharing in these #s for 3 adults (2 adults, 1 teen), 3 kids, but some of these look stupid big, so adults might share, especially my teen girl and I at breakfasts - we'll see - it might be too good to share:))...
Apple Barn Breakfast ($80)
Apple Barn Dinner (the other site we haven't done, since there are 2 locations with a slightly different vibe:)) ($90)
Paula Deen Lunch ($100)
Crockett's Breakfast Camp ($80)
Old Mill Restaurant ($80)
HM Dinner Show (paid in entertainment category)
TBD Food that are convenient and pure TN (2) - cheap sites, like Pigeon Forge Deli or a converted gas station diner, drive in, and dive:)...($80)
2 Fast Food lunches to and from TN ($60)
Groceries ($100)

So, I'm at $2100...now to see if we stay anywhere close:)...the good news is I'm not seeing a lot of free time in our plans to fit anything else in...and we have free mini golf at one of our stay resorts and free waterparks at the other (doing a split stay), so we have some fun the kids want to do right where we'll be (over pools, resort scheduled activities, etc)...

Edit to add - The reason we are skipping Dollywood (other than cost) is b/c we don't like walking theme parks in enormous heat, and b/c we just did Busch Gardens Williamsburg at Xmas, so we figure we don't want to do the straight comparison 6 months apart...thus the "water parks" full day as the "ride" day for the kids...also, this is why we have lots of indoor stuff and only one outdoor "in the heat" nature day (which we'll choose for the coolest of the days we are there)...

Last edited:
Where did you purchase your discount tickets from?

Thanks to all the guidance on here - since we had to cancel a different trip this year, my spouse encouraged me to find a cheap way to take this trip and to do the "not as big" attractions (aka - not Dollywood) to get us excited to take other family here next time. So, we are going 6 days/5 nights in the heart of this summer with a current all-included budget (travel, lodging, food, entertainment, etc) of about $2.1K for 6 (2 adults, 1 teen, 3 kids), with $600 of that covering our our annual timeshare dues (since we're using our resorts, so OOP that's "free", but I do pay for them every year in dues)...I've stumbled on same great deals already and will keep looking (since one is refundable if I find better), but I'm pretty excited. Our plans...

Resort ($600 for dues)
Gas ($120 - 4 tanks)
Pet sitter (free - friend)

Attractions ($710 Total broken out below)
- Nature-Based ($70)
1. Forbidden Caverns (still need to buy, but this is spouse #1 desire - I plan $70, but hoping to see this pop up with a better coupon)
2. Smokey Mountains - Sugarlands Visitor Center with Waterfall Hike (free)
- Show-Based (1st 3 all bought - spouse #2 desire - have all tickets for $388 total, but will try to do better b/c this is refundable til 2 days prior) ($410, with tip for HM)
3. Hatfield and McCoy Dinner Show
4. Smoky Mountain Opry
5. Magic Beyond Belief with Daniel Romeo
6. The Island Water Show (free)
- Entertainment Based ($230)
7, 8, & 9. Ripleys' Attraction 3 pack (bought at $23/adult + shipping for all of us - this is not changeable) - Aquarium of the Smokies, Ripley's Haunted House (spouse #3 desire) are definite, but still deciding 3rd site
10. Wyndham Smokies indoor/outdoor waterpark day ("free" b/c it's included in our stay)
11. Bush's Baked Bean Museum (free - boys are dying for this, but this is 1st to go if I have to drop something:)) - will use some of souvie budget below if needed
12. Sugarlands Distillery Tour and Tasting = $10 for 2 tastings - tour is free and all ages (get $10 back to use on a product, so probably $30 total, when spouse picks his favorite - since he makes his own beer and mead, he's gonna love this surprise:))
13. Severveille Outlets Day (if it's raining on waterpark day, since the indoor park will only entertain so long) ($50 if I use this - but this gives me a souvie budget for more moonshine, if nothing else:))

Food (Planned, but if I see deals, I'll drop and change - $670:))...I have 2 meals a day out planned most days, but I may drop to 1 b/c we will be buying about $100 of this in groceries...depends how much of this rich food we can do. This is actually almost my largest expense category now, but even if we eat cheaper, we'll likely spend it doing things (I'd add in a coaster or 7d theater, b/c those were my spouse's other "we should try these if we can fit them in" stuff). I am planning no sharing in these #s for 3 adults (2 adults, 1 teen), 3 kids, but some of these look stupid big, so adults might share, especially my teen girl and I at breakfasts - we'll see - it might be too good to share:))...
Apple Barn Breakfast ($80)
Apple Barn Dinner (the other site we haven't done, since there are 2 locations with a slightly different vibe:)) ($90)
Paula Deen Lunch ($100)
Crockett's Breakfast Camp ($80)
Old Mill Restaurant ($80)
HM Dinner Show (paid in entertainment category)
TBD Food that are convenient and pure TN (2) - cheap sites, like Pigeon Forge Deli or a converted gas station diner, drive in, and dive:)...($80)
2 Fast Food lunches to and from TN ($60)
Groceries ($100)

So, I'm at $2100...now to see if we stay anywhere close:)...the good news is I'm not seeing a lot of free time in our plans to fit anything else in...and we have free mini golf at one of our stay resorts and free waterparks at the other (doing a split stay), so we have some fun the kids want to do right where we'll be (over pools, resort scheduled activities, etc)...

Edit to add - The reason we are skipping Dollywood (other than cost) is b/c we don't like walking theme parks in enormous heat, and b/c we just did Busch Gardens Williamsburg at Xmas, so we figure we don't want to do the straight comparison 6 months apart...thus the "water parks" full day as the "ride" day for the kids...also, this is why we have lots of indoor stuff and only one outdoor "in the heat" nature day (which we'll choose for the coolest of the days we are there)...

Where did you purchase your discount tickets from?

Ripley's 3 attraction was from Sweet Deals Knoxville...(but it's since sold out when I checked)...these are non-refundable, but I have a year to use them...
The 3 show tickets were from reservepigeonforge.com...it gave me the current "buy Hatfield McCoy, get other shows for $20/adult and kid/free, but they knocked some extra off the HM tickets...these are refundable up to 48 hours before each show...

Thank you

Ripley's 3 attraction was from Sweet Deals Knoxville...(but it's since sold out when I checked)...these are non-refundable, but I have a year to use them...
The 3 show tickets were from reservepigeonforge.com...it gave me the current "buy Hatfield McCoy, get other shows for $20/adult and kid/free, but they knocked some extra off the HM tickets...these are refundable up to 48 hours before each show...

Another discount, only good til midnight 3/8 - you can buy discounted gift cards to the Old Mill (good at the restaurants and gift shops). It's 15% off a $50 one, 20% off a $75, and 25% off a $100 one. Use codes WINTEREND15 for the $50 card, for the $75 card use WINTEREND20 & the $100 card use WINTEREND25. Hope this helps (and you'll be able to use the gift card as cash, so if you stumble upon a coupon between now and your trip, you can really make out:)...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter