• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking to try some new things

mamato3girls

Mouseketeer
We are planning an early march trip and I'm trying to decide on dining. This will be our 3rd year in a row and there are 5 of us (2 adults, then a 6 yr, 4 yr, 1 yr old kids are all girls). We know we want to return to 1900 park fair and CRT, they have been huge hits for us. We would like to do BOG but it seems we may not be able to get a reservation. Beyond that we just aren't sure. We do know we aren't interested in crystal palace, tusker house, akershus, and probably not whispering canyon cafe because we were disappointed in all of those last year. we do enjoy character meals, clearly princesses are a big deal in our house but they also enjoy the traditional Mickey, Minnie etc. we really aren't into the Disney junior characters. We prefer dinner or possibly late lunch, my kids don't really enjoy big breakfast. I think we have MK restaurants covered so something at Epcot, HS, and AK or an easily accessible hotel is ideal. Oh and my kids are adventurous eaters so something that has a different menu is fine.

We are planning an early march trip and I'm trying to decide on dining. This will be our 3rd year in a row and there are 5 of us (2 adults, then a 6 yr, 4 yr, 1 yr old kids are all girls). We know we want to return to 1900 park fair and CRT, they have been huge hits for us. We would like to do BOG but it seems we may not be able to get a reservation. Beyond that we just aren't sure. We do know we aren't interested in crystal palace, tusker house, akershus, and probably not whispering canyon cafe because we were disappointed in all of those last year. we do enjoy character meals, clearly princesses are a big deal in our house but they also enjoy the traditional Mickey, Minnie etc. we really aren't into the Disney junior characters. We prefer dinner or possibly late lunch, my kids don't really enjoy big breakfast. I think we have MK restaurants covered so something at Epcot, HS, and AK or an easily accessible hotel is ideal. Oh and my kids are adventurous eaters so something that has a different menu is fine.

Be Our Guest has QS for lunch(just wanted to make sure you knew that). When you said adventurous eaters, the first restaurant that popped in my head was Yak & Yeti!!! The Food was absolutely amazing! Epcot( I can't speak from experience, but I am going early march(2) To the Garden Grill. Family style, characters, etc. For a Resort...Ohana is delish! and Hollywood Studios....50's is always a classic! :thumbsup2

DHS-50's PTC
AK-Rainforest Cafe.

I think your kids would like both and many adults do, also.

BOG is quick service for lunch. If you go around for an early lunch (10:30am) the wait isn't too bad. We got in line around 9:45am and got a table no prob at 10:30am. Here is my video of the experience: http://youtu.be/b_79w_k_o-I

I think we have MK restaurants covered so something at Epcot, HS, and AK or an easily accessible hotel is ideal. Oh and my kids are adventurous eaters so something that has a different menu is fine.

AK: in the park Flame Tree is a good CS for lunch while Yak&Yeti TS (be careful - there is a CS by the same name, but you want the full TS restaurant) has the same menu lunch/dinner and has really great food. Since AK closes early, if you prefer dinner at a nearby resort after park close, take the bus to AKL and eat a Boma.

HS: Starring Rolls is my go-to CS for lunch. Sci-Fi is another TS with an all day lunch/dinner menu and I think the theming is fun for kids. Otherwise, my preference is to take the boat from HS to one of the Epcot-area resort. If they're seafood lovers Cape May has a good non-character dinner buffet that always includes crab legs. If you want something really adventurous, Kouzzina at the Boardwalk. If ice cream is the biggest draw, Beaches & Cream at the BC.

Epcot: TOO MANY CHOICES! For characters, Garden Grill gets great marks although the family style platter meal there does not particularly appeal to me. Biergarten has good food and is lots of fun for kids who can work off some extra energy down on the dance floor while the adults can sit and watch them. If you're paying oop, Biergarten for lunch is a good value; nearly all the same buffet items as dinnertime but significantly lower price. Restaurant Marrakesh is surprisingly tasty and offers one of the most exotic environments. And if watching the fish would be entertaining, Coral Reef.

We have tried to do several restaurants that were new to us this trip. Among them were Yak and yeti, Biergarten, and San angel inn. We were thrilled with all! I also suggest sci-fi dine in and beaches and cream. We are going to attempt BOG for lunch on Sunday- we tried yesterday and it was a 2 hour wait.

Epcot - Via Napoli for the pizza

Hollywood Studios - Either 50's Prime Time Cafe or Mama Melroses

Animal Kingdom - I would go to Sanaa at Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village for lunch or early dinner (when they open at 5) to eat while watching the animals on the savannah. It is the only restaurant where you can view the animals. MAKE SURE TO GET A WINDOW TABLE.

Character Meal - 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian. Character for breakfast are Alice in Wonderland, The Mad Hatter, Mary Poppins, Winnie the Pooh and Tigger. Characters for dinner are Cinderella, Prince Charming, Drizella, and Anastasia.

Sci Fi Dine In was one of the first restaurants that I went to as a child and it became one of my favorites. I still do it almost every time I visit. My mom and sister are the same way. It has, at least in my opinion, the best theming of any restaurant on Disney property.

50's Prime Time can also be very entertaining as the servers will fuss at you to take your hat off at the table, eat all your vegetables, and keep your elbows off the table. Kids often like to see the tables turned on their parents and parents really seem to enjoy the retro decor. The food is pretty good, as well.

You might think about Teppan Edo in Japan, as well. The food is good, the portions are big, and it is very entertaining to see the food cooked before your eyes. I enjoyed it as a kid and still like it as an adult.

Biergarten is good and I love the band. Kids seem to love dancing to the polka band and adults like the food. You can get a liter of beer here or a fantastic glass of Riesling. It is a buffet which you might want to shy away from with the kids unless you are willing to go with them to the buffet table. Overall, one of my favorite restaurants.

we do like CRT, but you can do Norway for a bit less$ (or even better half the DP credits_) and get just as good as an experience...after a few years, we decide our girls could "make do" only eating in the castle every two years or so.

Crystal palace has always been our fav CM....1900 park fare is great though- really nice dinner with princesses, prince carmongg, and actually step sisters who can steal the show, but bfast with mary pippins, burt, and often alice is a great treat as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter