• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking to save $? Don’t cut servers tips. Other ideas below. Please add yours!

We'll be cutting costs by saving cash on non-cruise vacation things. For example, we're choosing to drive down instead of fly (that'll loosen up some cash for sure). Because we're driving, that allows us to control how much cash we outlay on food and general "crap" on the way down if we pack our meals ahead. Even if we have to pay to park, we're still coming out ahead. Driving is also allowing us to pack things we've purchased cheaply like bottled water and other things we would otherwise buy once onboard.

We pre-paid for our hotel rooms to lock in good deals and won't have to worry about paying while on vacation.

We're doing the Give a Day Disney promotion to get free park vouchers for our WDW post-cruise visit.

We'll probably skip doing any formal excursions this time and if there's something interesting to see we may just hoof it on our own.

I'll still be buying a few photos from Shutters and snagging t-shirts and such from the gift shop, but purchases will be budgeted ahead of time (based on how much money I save for the trip between now and then) with the realization that gratuities are going to need to be paid for as well.

I've always been a budget vacationer but I would never decrease tips to the wait staff. For our cruise last month, we did the following to save money:
1) Rented a car to/from PC. We saved over $150 versus taking DCL transfers
2) We arranged our excursions on our own. We did the Baths in Virgin Gorda and it cost us $110 for all four of us. I don't even think that would have covered 2 of us if we had gone through DCL.
3) We stayed in OV even though I would have liked to have had a veranda.
4) We didn't buy snacks at the theaters. We took in our own and brought drinks down from the drink station.

The only think I think I spent money that others don't is photos from Shutters. Even though we have a nice camera (Canon Digital Rebel SLR), so many of the family shots didn't turn out very good. Plus, we had a couple of CM tell us they wouldn't use our camera :confused3. Then, on the white background photos, those just didn't turn out at all as you could see the lines they marked on the floor. I guess if we had a chance to play with the settings and angles, we could have taken care of that. Anyway, I was very happy with my package purchase and will likely buy them again.

As far as our next cruise, we're doing the above and the following:
1) Purchase trip insurance from a company other than Disney
2) I considering downgrading from my OV to inside. We didn't spend much time in our room and we never had trouble locating chairs or lounges outside.
3) We'll bring our own adult beverages on board.

I'm sure I'll think of others :goodvibes

I did not read thru all of the responses here but my only thought when I read the title of this thread was WHY would anybody decide that they will cut costs by cutting their tips short?!:eek: What would even promt such a thought????? OMG. :faint: Cut your costs at home before you go by skipping the manicures & pedicures and Starbucks...but stiff your wait staff? Really? To save money? I'm sorry, but I honestly think if someone is THAT desperate to slash costs they should plan a different type of vacation that is better suited to their budget. Save up longer for the cruise so it's not a hardship. Just my 2 cents. FWIW I am just as broke & frugal as the next guy but that's just not right.

I understand that you didn't want to read 1.5 pages of threads :rolleyes1 but you could have at least read the OP post. They clearly stated that they were NOT going to cut wait staff's tips. Also, the OP stated that they were changing their vacation from a 9 day to a 7 day--- which really isn't skipping too much off their vacation time! Some families can't afford to take a vacation at all this year. Also, how do know that they family hasn't already cut back drastically in order to cut back on the cruise they are taking while on their strict budget. I recently got laid off (again) and we decided not to cancel our trip. Things are tight but we are not going to skip on tipping or cut the trip short, but we are going to cut costs in other ways!

I understand that you didn't want to read 1.5 pages of threads :rolleyes1 but you could have at least read the OP post.
I just meant I didn't bother to read what anybody else had to say. I was in a hurry & just posted my thoughts. I was directing my reply to the title of the thread. WHO would even think that cutting back on recommended tips was a good way to save money? How could that thought even cross someone's mind????? That's almost evil sounding!

They clearly stated that they were NOT going to cut wait staff's tips. Also, the OP stated that they were changing their vacation from a 9 day to a 7 day--- which really isn't skipping too much off their vacation time! Some families can't afford to take a vacation at all this year. Also, how do know that they family hasn't already cut back drastically in order to cut back on the cruise they are taking while on their strict budget. I recently got laid off (again) and we decided not to cancel our trip. Things are tight but we are not going to skip on tipping or cut the trip short, but we are going to cut costs in other ways!

FWIW, I will be laid off 2 years next month and my DH has had pay cuts etc... So I definitely "get it" and have to watch just like the next guy. But I would never ever ever ever consider not tipping to be a way to save on our personal cruise expenses. :confused3

Cruise at an off season time when rates are cheaper. I know it won't work for everyone, but it can be a great savings when you can take advantage of it. Use a TA who computer tracks all reservations so that if the cost of the cruise is reduced (even briefly), he/she will catch it for you.

Rebook while on board to get the 10% off + OBC. I name my TA at the time of the booking so I get their OBC as well. The OBC isn't as large as some give, but the service is the best.

I hate to say this because I have heard such wonderful things about Shirley and her gift basket business...

However, I made gift basket/buckets before we left home - things mostly from the dollar store. Since we drive, I was able to keep them in my carry on bag and have them in the room as a surprise from Mickey before the girls came into the room. Although my girls are young and really don't bug for souveneirs, I helped me to not buy things for them since they had a bunch of fun new things in the room.

I generally only buy a Christmas ornament to remember our cruise by.

We save a bunch by bring our own wine onboard.

Transferring our reservation to DU was a no brainer giving us a $50 OBC.

Lastly, not buying all new clothes for this cruise, wearing things I bought last year for that cruise, and even borrowing something new/different from a friend will save us some money.

As a first-time cruiser, I'm glad to see there's as many frugal travelers as I am. I guess I had the idea that cruisers were big spenders. I got a great deal on the 2/11 3-day Wonder, kids sail free, cat 12 (upgraded to 9) that I booked at Thanksgiving. We're flying on the cheapest days of the week (down Wed. & back Thurs.), late arrival, early departure, got precruise and preflight motels on hotwire ($50/night w/taxes) at MCO, and car rental for the week for $123 on Hotwire (DH will be driving to Daytona while 2 kids and I cruise). Post-cruise we're not doing WDW, but staying in the Cape Canaveral area (anyone been to Ron Jon's?), and will go to Cape Canaveral National Seashore, and the Kennedy Space Center (educational component of the trip :)). We're doing a lot but spending about what we would spend on a normal vacation. It takes a lot of time online to find the best deals, but it's fun and nice not to feel a financial hangover afterwards. I'll probably buy just 1 or 2 pics from Shutters -- we treasure the 2 we got at WDW -- and will likely just have the daily drink special, if that.

We are buying some cheap Disney stuff here at home and taking it with us. Then each morning my girls will wake up to a small gift left by the WDW fairies! The intent is to curn their desire for store bought souvenirs.

I'm pretty sure you can not transfer a ressie to a TA once you are paid in full.

Does anyone have any info about possibly transfering our cruise ressies to dreams Unlimited? I keep hearing about the great on board credits. I made our current ressies on the Disney Cruise Line site. I think we got an on board credit of only $25 per stateroom/cabin. (We have 2 rooms booked.) Deck 7 Deluxe Ocean view with verandahs. Our final payment is due soon...Jan. 30th

I am steering clear of the spa this cruise. Definitely a hard sell and buyer's remorse after the last trip.

I wish I would have purchased some Shutters photos this time (trying to save $$), as I lost my camera on the trip home! :mad:

Priceline for pre-cruise hotel; Hotwire for rental car; and Spirit Airlines for $9 airfare!

I think I heard that you PAY A FEE FIRST, then you only SAVE $9 NOT pay 9 for a flight. If I'm wrong on this... someone please bring this to my attention. I'll have to check into it again myself. Have a magical day!

Does anyone have any info about possibly transfering our cruise ressies to dreams Unlimited? I keep hearing about the great on board credits. I made our current ressies on the Disney Cruise Line site. I think we got an on board credit of only $25 per stateroom/cabin. (We have 2 rooms booked.) Deck 7 Deluxe Ocean view with verandahs. Our final payment is due soon...Jan. 30th

You may get a lower OBC by transferring a reservation you made directly with DCL, but ask for a quote from DU. You have to transfer the reservation BEFORE you make the final payment.

I just asked about this the other day and found out I am too late (made final payment a couple of weeks ago).

I emailed DU and they emailed me back info for transferring resservation...so maybe go to their website and email them to get the process started. There is no phone number as far as I can tell...so email is your best bet.

I did talk with my AAA travel agent and if you are a member and want to transfer with them they are offering a $45 beverage credit, welcome fruit basket, 4 free float rentals on CC and some cookie treat before you leave. I was bummed that I missed it!

Good luck and have fun sailin'

Reat ideas. We have our first cruise booked on the Wonder for May. Will definitely have to keep my DW away from Shutters.

A few things I did for our May 2009 cruise.

1) Around Feb, I was able to score Disney pirate costumes from the Disney store for my nephews marked down to $10, from $79.99! I packed them in my bag for our cruise along with a few other pirate items I found on clearance such as a chest, rings, scope, etc.... I also made a note from Captain Mickey with a Disney pirate map in the background. When the boys got to the room before dinner, Captain Mickey had left the outfits for them with the chest & note for pirates night.

2) I watched the "magical rates" and we switched from our original cruise to the week before saving us over $3,500.

3) We booked at 12's gty and ended up with 11's, paid around $600 per adult!

4) I booked with a TA for a special gift in our stateroom, OBC, Online booking OBC, and Disney visa OBC = $175 per room.

5) I booked insurance via insuremytrip.com - Lucky for me I called because I was able to get a group rate for all 12 of us (4 staterooms) totaling about $17 per person.

A few things I did for our May 2009 cruise.

1) Around Feb, I was able to score Disney pirate costumes from the Disney store for my nephews marked down to $10, from $79.99! I packed them in my bag for our cruise along with a few other pirate items I found on clearance such as a chest, rings, scope, etc.... I also made a note from Captain Mickey with a Disney pirate map in the background. When the boys got to the room before dinner, Captain Mickey had left the outfits for them with the chest & note for pirates night.

2) I watched the "magical rates" and we switched from our original cruise to the week before saving us over $3,500.

3) We booked at 12's gty and ended up with 11's, paid around $600 per adult!

4) I booked with a TA for a special gift in our stateroom, OBC, Online booking OBC, and Disney visa OBC = $175 per room.

5) I booked insurance via insuremytrip.com - Lucky for me I called because I was able to get a group rate for all 12 of us (4 staterooms) totaling about $17 per person.

great ideas...thanks:thumbsup2

Whoever said bring your own bottled water -- save even more $$ and help the environment by skipping the bottled water. Bring a refillable bottle/mug and drink the tap water onboard. It is good! :thumbsup2

1. It is possible to save a nice chunk of change by booking an extra cabin...I know it's counter intuitive...read on. On our cruise in March it would cost $1519 PP for the third and fourth person in a Verandah cabin...but....you can book a GTY 12 cabin for $999 pp. A savings of about $1000. The only inconvenience is that you need to show up for the muster at your assigned cabin. I will advise the room steward of our plans and still tip him as if we were in the empty cabin since he does not have other means to make up the income. Besides the savings we have a place to store "stuff" and a place to get away if you want a few minutes of privacy. I checked this out with DCL there is no policy prohibiting this in fact they told me with large family groups it happens all the time grandkids sleeping with grandparents etc....savings $1,000

2. I also research all excursions for better rates by booking direct. Even if the savings are small the experience might be better and more personalized booking individually. I know that sometimes it is smarter and safer to book with DCL especially if the timing is tight but at least check the options. Example...golfing on St Thomas is $ 275 from DCL. You can book directly for about $160 including taxi fare. savings....$115 PP

3. Goodies...I bought t-shirts from the online Disney store for $5.00. I plan to bring trinkets from home as suggested by others....savings estimate $200

4. Skip the Disney shuttle unless you are a very small party. Private limo is more convenient and often less expensive.

5. Consider the extra baggage fees when booking air. If each person has two bags it can add almost $150 to your RT flight on some carriers. Southwest (2 free bags) and Jet Blue (1 free bag) could save you big $$$.

6. Carry on adult beverages. Bring wine and spirits for consumption in your cabin and on deck.

7. Make a list and be sure to bring what you need. Buying sunscreen, film and other small items can add up fast at cruise ship prices.

Save ahead of time, make a budget and keep to it. I have found that laying it all out makes a huge difference. We only spend what we have (or can anticipate through sail date). We have a disney fund that auto deducts from paychecks and goes straight in - I never see it in the checking. But I also don't end up anticipating it for other means as a result!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter