Looking to purchase at AKL within the next couple of years...

I appreciate all the input! So far we're set on our home resort being AKV being we want to stay there majority of our trips. We also don't like the idea of only being able to book 7 months out at the place we know we want to stay. We'll eventually book at other places now and then just to change it up (wife wants to see Boardwalk some day). As far as points go I think we'll buy in at 100-110 points. We'll never book a value room, after all, part of the appeal of AKV is the Savanna view! Basically a week stay at AKL at the time of year we want to go (second week of December) is 102 points. While we plan to go every other year we'd like to have enough points to go every year if we choose to do so. We'd also like the option to use the previous year's points or next year's points to be able to get a second room for our family to enjoy as well. If we do have extra points we plan to sell them. We're still undecided if we'll buy direct or via resale. We're not crazy about the idea of being restricted on where we can use our points.

It sounds like your intent is to stay at a WDW resort the majority of the time. The only restrictions resale are that you can not use your points for adventures by Disney, the Disney collection or for cruises. You can stay in Hawaii, vero, Hilton head and any DVC at Disney world and Disney land - not too restrictive if you ask me. Even if you buy direct then , I believe, there is a change fee to use those other above noted places.

I recently purchased 120 point resale for about $80 per point, if you want to purchase direct from Disney at $155 per point you can, but I can see it being worth almost double what I paid. Plus with the amount of points you are looking to purchase you could not afford a cruise nor ABD. People that like to cruise will often rent their points and use the cash from that to help pay for the cruise. Definitely read up an the limitations of resale. I think you will be very happy with your resort options and being able to rent your points to fund other trips you might want to do.

You're already planning on renting out points in the years you don't use them. So why would that change for the one or two times you might use something you could otherwise trade in to with the points? And 100 points does not obtain a lot outside of DVC. Be certain to look at those charts too if it's going to influence your purchase route. For most things you'd have to use 2 or maybe even 3 years of points or pay cash for part. I'd personally prefer pocketing the 7-8k in savings from the purchase and pocketing the extra money that is likely to be left over from renting out and paying cash vs the value from trading the points.

... AKV will most likely always have higher dues than SSR. You are paying for all the same things as at SSR and paying to feed and care for those animals.
Ever since the state of Hawaii forced DVC to up Aulani's dues estimates to more accurately reflect the costs I've been curious about dues increases for DVC resorts sold during that era.
This year SSR's dues increased 5.11%, BLT's 4.61% and AKV's 1.84%.
As noted, unlike SSR & BLT, AKV does pay for animal programs (which includes the CM's who talk about them) last year it was just under $.33 per point. This year just under $.34 per point.

What I meant was the first time buyers (not talking about the OP here) who look to buy 50 points at AKV with the intent on staying 5 nights a year in a value...or 50 points at Boardwalk with the intent of staying 5 nights in a standard every year...etc. It's just not a reasonable plan of action. They are out there, and they oftentimes end up bitter about their purchase because they can't get what they want, when they want it, and they have no other options for 5 nights yearly with the number of points they have, outside of one-time use points or transferring from another member.
I knew what you were basically saying and I agree that one needs to be extremely careful on limiting themselves too much. This could apply to VGF, AKV value and concierge, BWV & BLT standard, HH mid summer and the like. IMO it also applies to buying with these type of items in mind then using the points in other ways than intended like expecting to get those type of items at the 7 month window. I guess I didn't word it well. My goal was to acknowledge your basic point but to suggest that there would be exceptions although extremely limited. And I also agree the exceptions for new buyers are even more limited and IMO would only apply to those show actually had extremely good knowledge of both the function and usage of DVC as well as a fair amount of Disney resort experience if not DVC experience. Second Generation type owners or those that have been looking off and on for many years possibly renting in the interim. I would add that your warning really has 2 main issues. Buying a resort expecting to get the specific options consistently and cutting it too close on the number of points in general. I like a cushion in most situations of at least 10-20% at least until one gets to 1-2 BR and Magic season. I would add that for many buying a small sized contract in general is not ideal even if they think that's all they need but I guess that's another thread.

We bought 150 points at AK on resale three years ago for about 60 a point. We already had 100 points but I love the club floor and I love having the extra points to do the club once a year.

I'll agree with others and summarize....

Buy resale, you'll lose nothing of value buying resale and you intend to rent out extra points anyway, plus you don't intend to buy for "several years" - you could buy much sooner and start working on getting the value out faster if you buy resale.
Consider SSR....getting a Savannah room at VAKL isn't difficult at seven months, the money you save on the dues and the contract cost may be significant to you.

At this point it sounds like we'll buy in January of 2017. Let's say we do buy resale... what do you guys recommend for financing? We'll probably put around $5k down but will finance the remainder.

Also what are my odds of Disney purchasing the contract I want?

Very unlikely. Disney doesn't like to rofr akv contracts, at least not in the recent past or at all. The last time an akv contract was taken was over a year ago at the end of 2014 (that we know of based on the postings on this board), and it was only one out of many. Who knows why it was taken. That could change but currently akv resale contracts pass relatively easily.

Last edited:
At this point it sounds like we'll buy in January of 2017. Let's say we do buy resale... what do you guys recommend for financing? We'll probably put around $5k down but will finance the remainder.

People recommend moorea financial. I personally don't recommend financing as it eats up your savings.

However, if you're putting 5k down, and buy a 100-125 contract for, example, $85/pt, then your loan is under $6k after closing costs, not accounting for any maint fee payments. If I were you, I would try to pay that off quickly since it's a small sum. I think interest rates are current in the 10% area, but not sure.

On the plus side, you save a ton buying resale. We loooove our resale and the 5 figures we saved buying resale. lol.

Last edited:

I went to our own bank for financing - and when I say "our own bank", I mean that we put ourselves on a specific savings program for a number of months, and then used that savings to buy with cash. It sounds like you have at least 24 months to do this. I do not believe you would ever find a financial advisor who would agree you should finance a luxury timeshare. It is a great feeling to own outright from day one.

On the plus side, you save a ton buying resale. We loooove our resale and the 5 figures we saved buying resale. lol.

I know your not supposed to have favorites but I think more fondly of our resale money savers than our direct. :) (oh, that's kids, not DVC contracts, so I think I'm ok liking one more than the other! :laughing:) Thankfully direct was much closer to resale when we bought at the resorts just built (BLT and VGC).

For AKL, the difference between resale and direct is quite striking. When you're already talking financing, an additional $5000 (across 100 points) is not insignificant. That $5k + sales of points in non-Disney years, will take you a lot farther than most point trades currently available to DVC.

Very unlikely. Disney doesn't like to rofr akv contracts, at least not in the recent past or at all. The last time an akv contract was taken was over a year ago at the end of 2014 (that we know of based on the postings on this board), and it was only one out of many. Who knows why it was taken. That could change but currently akv resale contracts pass relatively easily.

Nor do they tend to ROFR SSR contracts. And if you need to finance, that is another positive in the SSR column.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter