• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking to diversify......

TinkRN

Mouseketeer
Ok.. We are exceedingly happy with our DVC. We have been owners since 1998, own at multiple resorts, and would not consider selling.

But... We are looking to add to our 'timeshare' portfolio. The only vacation ownership we have is DVC. We are looking for a timeshare that we can use to trade weeks and stay in different areas. As it has been noted on this board, I don't think it is the best use of our DVC to use to trade into RCI. I know for some this works, but we really do use our DVC points to stay in Disney.

I am looking to find what some other multi-timeshare owners have found. We joined TUG and found some information, but would love to hear some first hand insight.

Thanks for the help!

TinkRN

Well, first, you should spend a *lot* of time over on TUG reading.

But, my advice is:
We are looking for a timeshare that we can use to trade weeks and stay in different areas.
...don't do this. Week-for-week exchange is a very tricky business. The rules are always changing, and for a variety of reasons, the pool of available inventory is, in general, shrinking.

One of the reasons for that "shrinking" is that mini-systems (like DVC), have created "internal exchanges" that owners can book directly (much like you can book at DVC resorts other than the one you own). In many of these systems, only the "leftovers" get sent to the exchange companies like RCI or Interval.

So, I would instead recommend investigating the various mini-systems to see if any of them have resort portfolios that would be interesting to you. The major players available for purchase resale are Wyndham, WorldMark, and Bluegreen. There is also Diamond, but you have to pay to enroll in "The Club", you can't buy Club membership from any existing owner.

I happen to own Wyndham, and like it a lot. Comfortable resorts in many interesting destinations. But, the others are good too.

I also *do* own a couple of fixed weeks that I *do* use for trading. And, truth be told, I've gotten (and am still getting) some very good trades with them. But, based on reading others' opinions of their trade experiences, it would seem that I am the exception, not the rule. So many folks feel so negatively about it that I do not feel comfortable recommending this path to anyone else, even though I am happy with it.

Thank you for the info. We were looking at Wyndham, but are curious about HGVC and Marriott's program.

We are not purchasing with the intent of having speed week in Daytona, Christmas at Whistler, etc.

Again, thanks for the help!

Sounds like a points system would be better for you. If you get a week-based one, you need to be sure it's one you really want to go to when you can't exchange it (I have a "good trader" but it doesn't always get me what I want). It's best to have it within an easy drive also. Reading a lot more on TUG will help you a lot.

I forgot about HGVC---I don't think of them much, as they seem to be more limited in locations that interest me. But, they *are* an option.

Personally, I'd avoid Marriott's point system until it develops a bit more of a track record---and some resales start becoming available. And, as I wrote above, I wouldn't buy a fixed Marriott week unless you want to *use* it most years.

One caveat about Wyndham: it works best used *internally* for other Wyndham resorts. It's a notoriously mediocre trader in RCI, though it can give you inexpensive access to low-demand time.

Ok.. We are exceedingly happy with our DVC. We have been owners since 1998, own at multiple resorts, and would not consider selling.

But... We are looking to add to our 'timeshare' portfolio. The only vacation ownership we have is DVC. We are looking for a timeshare that we can use to trade weeks and stay in different areas. As it has been noted on this board, I don't think it is the best use of our DVC to use to trade into RCI. I know for some this works, but we really do use our DVC points to stay in Disney.

I am looking to find what some other multi-timeshare owners have found. We joined TUG and found some information, but would love to hear some first hand insight.

Thanks for the help!

TinkRN

We also own Wyndham(Old Town Alexandria and Vegas), I prefer to use my points in the Wyndham system and stay away from depositing into RCI unless absolutely necessary. I'll point pool(wyndham speak for banking, except they are good for 3 yrs from bank date). We've stayed at Bonnet Creek(3br), new resort in the Smoky Mtns(super 3br) and Waikiki Beachwalk in Honolulu.

I also own a Starwood ski week in Avon/Beaver Creek CO. Nice resort, and I've been more than happy with my trades. But you have to be patient with trading and plan even farther out than DVC.

2011 week has been in II since March, ongoing search for summer 2011/summer 2012. I just keep adding to request, going for some places that I think maybe harder than a summer 2br in Hawaii.

I have a fixed week at Boyne, Michigan, summer week. Not a super trader in RCI but not bad either. It got me a 2br on the Big Island for this summer. But this is a week I use most every year, as we enjoy going "Up North".

It depends in large part on your situation including where you want to go mostly. To use Wyndham will likely give you the most and best options but is not that good for exchanging. Bluegreen will give you different options and will do better for trading. HGVG, Worldmark, Shell, VRI, etc are all possibilities. Marriott is great if you buy a week but now is not the time to buy expecting to use their points program. Where do you plan to travel to and what unit size do you generally expect to need?

When we travel we usually go about 5 or 6 nights. Except for Disney :-)lovestruc) we are pretty open in where we travel. We have been spoiled and love having a kitchen and laundry.

We really appreciate the advise. Everyone has given us great points to think about!

TinkRN

i spent a lot of time on TUG researching the different systems and options. i wound up focusing on a timeshare that was near me within a few hours drive and looked for a week that i could use but would also have good value as a trade.

right now, it trades very well (although i am very flexible and prefer to travel when school is in session) but if trade value plummets, i'd still use the timeshare itself. if gas prices spike, i can just use my timeshare since it is more local.

exchange is definitely a risky business. if it works, great but TUG will recommend that you get a resort you actually want to stay at in case RCI or II does a revaluation of trading power that burns you...

We have a Starwood floating week, and we've been lucky with our trades (Hawaii, Cabo, etc.)...HOWEVER, for the cost of maintenance fees ($800/year), I found we could actually rent a house for a week!!! ANYWHERE WE WANT, ANYTIME...without doing a search and a wait list. Check out real estate sites, Homeaway.com, etc. Personally, I think that's a much smarter way to go, and you won't be 'stuck' with a timeshare that is virtually impossible to unload.

We have a Starwood floating week, and we've been lucky with our trades (Hawaii, Cabo, etc.)...HOWEVER, for the cost of maintenance fees ($800/year), I found we could actually rent a house for a week!!! ANYWHERE WE WANT, ANYTIME...without doing a search and a wait list. Check out real estate sites, Homeaway.com, etc. Personally, I think that's a much smarter way to go, and you won't be 'stuck' with a timeshare that is virtually impossible to unload.

This is not something we had thought of. It certainly gives us something to think about.

TinkRN

When we travel we usually go about 5 or 6 nights. Except for Disney :-)lovestruc) we are pretty open in where we travel. We have been spoiled and love having a kitchen and laundry.

We really appreciate the advise. Everyone has given us great points to think about!

TinkRN
If you're looking for less than a full week most trips you should look at other mini point systems like Wyndham, Bluegreen, RCI points, Worldmark, HGVC, etc. Which one is best depends on who has where you want to go and meets your quality filters.

We love our DVC too, but have just settled on a Wyndham membership. We paid $400 resale and the membership fees are acceptable. It is within a day's drive of home so we can stay there should we desire to do so, but our intent is to use the Wyndham network with occasional RCI trades. The people we purchased it from never stayed at the resort they owned and always traded into RCI with success. Our challenge with trading into RCI is that my wife is a teacher, so we can only travel during peak periods.

We're looking forward to using the Wyndham network and feel that the resale was an excellent value. I found the resale on TUG.

It really depends on what you are looking for. Two years ago, I was looking into buying Disney but forthe purpose of going to Disney maybe once every four to five years. The Everybody told me not to buy Disney if it was to be used elsewhere. Well, with all of my research, we still decided to buy Disney. It is true that it costs more, then Wyndham resale but I was not comfortable with Wyndham (aldready had financial problems, lifetime membership so always stuck with the maintenance fees, people were giving them away, they were stuck with them) I really did a pros and con listing and everything was more advantageous with Disney (even your booking priority with RCI). So if you can financially afford it, I would go with Disney all the way.

I also looked into Intrawest (I come from Quebec) and it was more expensive then Disney and also I looked into Sol Melia and they were also more expensive.

TinkRN - Does your family - or your husband's family have any ties to the Military/American Legion/Sons of the American Legion.

I am in the SAL and found they have a great space available network with various timeshare trading companies world-wide. You can do a week in a 1BR and sometimes a 2 or 3BR (depending on season) for $329 (or less at times)

Last summer we wanted to 'expand' our portfolio and got 'body snatched' in Gatlinburg, TN and did a tour for West Gate. I was a non-believer the whole time but my wife seemed to be sold lock stock and barrel (as it turns out she gets that way easily I have discovered) so we bought - and then I did some research over night and found out that West Gate is a sham all around (they even lied about the floor plan that we bought - telling us that ALL of their rooms had a Garden Tub/Jacuzzi) as it turns out the floor plan they showed us had a shower stall - and no tub at all. They tell you ANYTHING to get you to buy on the spot. We ended up canceling and calling the TN Attorney General to file a complaint.

And then it turns out my wife had a co-worker who was a West Gate owner who was trying to sell because they could never trade for any place they wanted to stay.

After reading up on West Gate and finding out about their history of questionable business practices I would HIGHLY suggest steering clear of West Gate.

After we cancelled our West Gate purchase, we started shopping for more DVC points. We bought at BLT and got a MUCH better price than what we would have paid for West Gate!

Shop smart - compare prices - and by all means go to Trip Advisor to see what other travelers have to say! That's where the first red flag was raised for us! Since then they have had employees write reviews - and it's painfully apparent that they are not consumer reviews! :rolleyes:

The people we purchased it from never stayed at the resort they owned and always traded into RCI with success. Our challenge with trading into RCI is that my wife is a teacher, so we can only travel during peak periods.
If you are not too particular about where you go, this can still work. But, for peak-period travel, Wyndham is really more effective used internally rather than through RCI---particularly since the global trade power revaluation from last year.

I love MVCI. I own at the Marriott Surf Club in Aruba and could not be happier. I think the Marriott program is very good and in Aruba I bought a season not an individual week - so that makes it easier to plan a vacation or do an exchange.

I love MVCI. I own at the Marriott Surf Club in Aruba and could not be happier. I think the Marriott program is very good and in Aruba I bought a season not an individual week - so that makes it easier to plan a vacation or do an exchange.
The Marriott system has changed some much in the last 2 months, it's hard to recommend it the same way I would have 2 years ago, esp since it's very likely that those that opt out of the new program will not have internal trading preference through II long term. New resale members will also likely not have the option of the new program using that resale purchase, possibly not at any price. It is a great time to buy though if there's something you want to use and then ride the exchange options as long as it lasts.

We love our DVC too, but have just settled on a Wyndham membership. We paid $400 resale and the membership fees are acceptable. It is within a day's drive of home so we can stay there should we desire to do so, but our intent is to use the Wyndham network with occasional RCI trades. The people we purchased it from never stayed at the resort they owned and always traded into RCI with success. Our challenge with trading into RCI is that my wife is a teacher, so we can only travel during peak periods.

We're looking forward to using the Wyndham network and feel that the resale was an excellent value. I found the resale on TUG.
Brian can say better than I but I don't see Wyndham as a good and strong RCI trading option for most situations.

We are considering taking a bigger leap but I have heard so many horror stories I am not sure. We are thinking of buying an actual property that we rent when we aren't using it. We have considered Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge but also Blue Ridge. Both of those places are reasonable distances from home but renters lighing charcoal grills in the home have me nervous.

We are considering taking a bigger leap but I have heard so many horror stories I am not sure. We are thinking of buying an actual property that we rent when we aren't using it. We have considered Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge but also Blue Ridge. Both of those places are reasonable distances from home but renters lighing charcoal grills in the home have me nervous.
They are also timeshares that do not rent out very well. You can avoid most of the issues by educating yourself. If you like Gatlingburg Bluegreen might be a good option for you. The Wyndham resort is nice but I don't like it's location. BG has a resort up the mountain in Gatlinburg and one toward apple valley in Pigeon Forge. Wyndham's near the interstate is a little nicer, but not in a nice a location IMO. Gatlinburg is also not that difficult to trade to. The westgate property is likely the nicest overall at present.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter