Looking to buy into DVC

Cllb585

Earning My Ears
Hi, my family and I toured SSR and the models for AKV while we were on vacation last month. We are seriously considering buying into DVC. I've been lurking on these boards for the last week or so, and I have heard some great things about DVC. As much as I love hearing all the wonderful things, I would also like to balance that out with some negatives. Could some members speak about some of the not so great things about DVC. It's always great to make decisions when you have both sides laid out in front of you.

Thank you all so much for your help!!!!

Look forward to hearing from you.

You do not get great value when you use your points outside of HH, Vero or WDW. For example if we used our points for our Disney cruise Disney placed a value of $6.50 per point when compared to a cash reservation.

With more DVC members it may get harder to book your non home resort during the 7 month window.

If you have to cancel your reservation at the 30 day window there is a restriction plasced on your points.

You need to keep track of your banking deadlines so that your points do not lose value.

If Disney finds a way to enforce the no point transfers for compensation then it may be difficult to get extra points for special occassions.

The points required for Friday and Saturday nights are usually double the other nights.

To get the best value out of your membership (quickest recovery of your cost) you would have to avoid Friday and Saturday nights and only use your points for WDW, Vero or HH other than that we love our memberships and are gald we purchased.

My perspective comes from owning 5 different timeshare products with DVC as least favorite of the bunch. That said, the things that bug me:
  • Banking points. My other point-system club allows each point earned to survive for 24 months. No banking required, only one deadline to watch... both banking and borrowing are nearly transparent to the user.
  • Reservations windows are based on date of departure rather than arrival. I'd rather book my reservation as early as possible with just one call.
  • Home Resort. I simply don't care for the "home resort" model. I'd prefer owning generic "DVC-points" valid equally at any DVC resort. (Specifically, the 11-month / 7-month reservation windows frustrate me. I do not enjoy feeling pressured to buy at multiple DVC resorts in order to gain the "home resort advantage.")
Edited to add:
  • Fixed-size contracts. I wish DVC allowed contracts to be easily resized by adding or selling points as needed.
  • Limited Web site functionality. Simply put, the DVC member site is far behind the times. (However, faced with the choice, "Lower dues or better website??" -- I'd pick the lower dues.)
  • Air Conditioning Controls. I hate waking up at 2AM perspiring -- but have had no luck with the overnight AC controls.

Just a short post to add: None of my nits listed in post #3 are "deal breakers." We were aware of the issues before buying. It seems every timeshare has its own special perks and potential limitations. Evaluating strengths and weaknesses is all part of the game.

Some of the things others have found as negatives don't bother me at all and that includes the weekend points issue.

However, the thing I have seen as negative are
1. Trading. DVC is a costly "trader" IMHO. If you aren't planning to use it for Disney then I would not recommend it.
2. HH. I get flamed for this, but a BEACH resort needs to be ON the beach (See Vero Beach) HH is a second rate location IMHO.
3. Your personality.... by that I mean if everything has to be "perfect" including, room location, view, non-handicapped accessible etc then you will probably be disappointed. If like me, you pretty much think that "it's at Disney, how bad can it be" then I think you will be fine. (See the whole thread on SSR "views" for an example of the issues)

If you are used to hotels, some "timesharey" things can throw you - most members don't mind no daily housekeeping, when I have stinky trash and a trash room way down the hall I want daily housekeeping (I also just like having my bed made).

There is no housekeeping with the DVC? You have to provide your own sheets and pillows and all?
The unit is clean on your arrival and fully stocked with sheets, towels, cookware, etc.

What you don't get, compared to hotel stays, is the daily visit from housekeeping to make your beds, clean the bathroom, vacuum, refresh the soap/shampoo, etc.

DVC provides a mid-week service to swap your towels and take your trash -- but you make your own beds (or not). There is a full cleaning after your departure to prepare the unit for the next guest.

The unit is clean on your arrival and fully stocked with sheets, towels, cookware, etc.

What you don't get, compared to hotel stays, is the daily visit from housekeeping to make your beds, clean the bathroom, vacuum, refresh the soap/shampoo, etc.

DVC provides a mid-week service to swap your towels and take your trash -- but you make your own beds (or not). There is a full cleaning after your departure to prepare the unit for the next guest.

Then it wouldn't be such a bad thing.... I bring my own shampoo and soap anyway.....

Does anyone know how much and/or how points come with a package? My family and I are thinking about becoming DVC members, but we want to know how much things are. If anyone can tell me that would be great!!

160 is the lowest you can buy you can buy more if you want it. best thing id do is contact a dvc guied they will send you a big book its cool

were buying ssr

As stated minimum from Disney is 160 points. Resellers will sell you any contract. (There is a theory here that the 50 pointer being bought by a "new owner" is more likely to get bought by Disney, but I don't think there is any proof.)

If you all read thru all the negatives, there is not even 1 serious problem. We own 4 weeks of other timeshare & all have their positives & negatives. The DVC is no different but has a great deal more fleability than my other timeshares. All in all the DVC program is a very good one if you want to spend your time at DVC areas. My advice is buy where you want to stay. Go for it. Almost all of the negatives are nit picking stuff.

Is soap, shampoo, lotion and tp provided like in a "regular" hotel room or do you have to bring all of that yourself?

Is soap, shampoo, lotion and tp provided like in a "regular" hotel room or do you have to bring all of that yourself?

Yes, just like a regular resorts. As others have mentioned, on the thrid day you receive a "trash and towel" service and a full room cleaning on the seventh day.

If you want additional house keeping it could be requested at a cost; same for soap, shampoo, and lotion.

We prefer this type of service... less disruptions...

We just returned from our first DVC stay and the only thing I missed about daily housekeeping was having my bed made. The towels, (just washed them) trash, (so many trash cans, none filled up) toiletries (brought our own) didn't bother me a bit.

HTH

Ellen

Another plus to no mousekeeping on a daily basis is if you stayed out late, say until 2am at DTD or doing magic hours at the parks, you are not bothered by someone trying to clean your room in the morning. You can relax in peace. We prefer the way DVC handles this. It truly is our home away from home.

I'm considering a non dvc "trader" unit but want to avoid the bad ones. Any suggestions? What are your favorites? I would prefer one with maximum flexibility and hopefully one that allows "less than week" useage, like DVC.

Thanks!

My perspective comes from owning 5 different timeshare products with DVC as least favorite of the bunch. That said, the things that bug me:
  • Banking points. My other point-system club allows each point earned to survive for 24 months. No banking required, only one deadline to watch... both banking and borrowing are nearly transparent to the user.
  • Reservations windows are based on date of departure rather than arrival. I'd rather book my reservation as early as possible with just one call.
  • Home Resort. I simply don't care for the "home resort" model. I'd prefer owning generic "DVC-points" valid equally at any DVC resort. (Specifically, the 11-month / 7-month reservation windows frustrate me. I do not enjoy feeling pressured to buy at multiple DVC resorts in order to gain the "home resort advantage.")
Edited to add:
  • Fixed-size contracts. I wish DVC allowed contracts to be easily resized by adding or selling points as needed.
  • Limited Web site functionality. Simply put, the DVC member site is far behind the times. (However, faced with the choice, "Lower dues or better website??" -- I'd pick the lower dues.)
  • Air Conditioning Controls. I hate waking up at 2AM perspiring -- but have had no luck with the overnight AC controls.

Yes, just like a regular resorts. As others have mentioned, on the thrid day you receive a "trash and towel" service and a full room cleaning on the seventh day.

If you want additional house keeping it could be requested at a cost; same for soap, shampoo, and lotion.

We prefer this type of service... less disruptions...

How much does it cost for mousekeeping??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter