• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking the most comfortable place to stay for son who has POTS

This is what I'm thinking now. I think we are going to stay onsite for the 4 days before my other son gets there and then move to Bonnet Creek (checked with someone else and they have availability) so we can spread out. Now I'm trying to decide between Fort Wilderness cabin and Port Orleans French Quarter. Cabin has more space and we enjoy campgrounds but I'm wondering if it is too spread out.

We love both POFQ and FW Cabins - each for different reasons!

POFQ is - as you know - compact, quieter, and the boats to and from Disney Springs are *so* handy! (Girls have to shop, right?) Plus, the QS has just been remodeled!

FWC is amazing - we stayed there (twice) recently, and having all that space... plus the kitchen... you can park right outside your door... so quiet, so beautiful. Absolutely an amazing place made even better by the fact that it's at WDW! However - if you are one of those families that loves to pop in to the QS to fill mugs, or if you love being close to the pool, or if being able to walk over to the bar for a quick nightcap is important, then FWC might not be the best pick. Our entire family adores FWC, but we do have one family member who is not comfortable being so far away from services (especially things like laundry and food service LOL) and he strongly prefers to stay at a "traditional" resort. And since I use a personal mobility device, taking one bus to get to get another bus stop (so adding at least one transfer) can sometimes be a bit... tiring, and the additional waiting at bus stops adds up. We have decided that we are going to save our stays at FWC for times when we are not doing Parks and just want some serious "down time". We always do the Dining Plan, for example, and it's quite a trip just to get your mug filled at FWC.

I'm sorry to hear that the Family Suites at AOA and ASM are all full when you want to go - those sound like they would be perfect for your situation.

I know you are familiar with the resort already, but just thought I'd share my recent experience at POFQ as someone dealing with Dysautonomia (not exactly POTS, but Orthostatic Hypotension, Tachycardia, Syncope, etc...) The fact that it is such a quiet peaceful resort was so helpful in dealing with many of my sensory overload issues. The smaller size was perfect for me, and not having to trek across a giant resort at the end of the day was so nice. Even the smaller food court was helpful (not having to stand in long lines for food and check out, less noise etc...) Also having the boats right there to head back and forth to DS was really nice and proved to be so relaxing. With all of the standing, activity and stimuli I'd deal with in the Parks, it was just so nice to be able to come back to such a peaceful resort.

Hope you all have a wonderful time and that your son has some good days while there!

We stayed at Westgate Town Center with my nephew's BB team. Nice big rooms, pools, planned activities, right next to mini golf, and not crazy expensive. The drive to DHS/Epcot/ESPN was less than 10 minutes. MK was about 15-20. There was plenty for kids to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter