Looking into renting a camper

Mama Steph

DIS Veteran
My sister and I are trying to plan a somewhat budget trip to WDW and I would love to camp. I would be happy in my tent with air mattresses but her idea of camping is a Holiday Inn.:lmao:

Has anyone rented from Cheaprvrental.com? Their prices seem to be really good. I also can't tell if they will deliver right to the sight. I will most likely be driving my van which doesnt have a hitch.

Thanks

Or "Camp At The Fort" https://secure.netsolhost.com/campatthefort.com/terv/index.asp.

Both have served campers at the Fort. And both Campat and MakeCamping deliver to your site at the Fort, set up, and will pick it up and pack it up for you so you don't have to.

There's also a Cruise America in Kissimmee. Rent it there and drive it the short distance to the Fort. They're a national rental rv chain. I see their units on the road quite a bit.

So these are just other options for you. And to answer your direct question, never heard of the company you mentioned. Good luck!:wizard:

Bama ED

PS -Is it just you and Sis or are you bringing some DD and DS? The number of people involved will play into the decision.

I have heard alot of good reviews from Campatthefort.com. They have a very nice fifth wheel that they rent but that might be too large (and expensive) if it's just the 2 of you.

I know makecampingeasy.com & he's a super guy, delivers on site, sets everything up & when you're down he takes care of taking down camp. He has a pop-up he rents as well as the 5er.

Just be aware that most of the above recommendations are for other DISboard members who have rental businesses that are promoted through this camping thread. An alternative for you might be renting a Disney Cabin on the 30% off special rate in the value season. There are no hassles, contracts, or deposits in case of damage, etc. when you rent a cabin. It's easy, you just arrive and start playing at Ft Wilderness. It is truly the best of both worlds: really cute and comfortable with loads of space, and still "camping" at Ft Wilderness. FYI: You can view the cabins extensively at "Allears.net". Have a great time with your sister whatever you choose.

If you use "makecampingeasy.com” for a little extra charge he will throw in a Golf Cart. If you never done the Fort you will wish you had a golf cart. They are fun to have and a great way to see the fort. If you get a Disney cart plan on spending about $65 a day for it

My sister and I are trying to plan a somewhat budget trip to WDW and I would love to camp.

Here is the problem with renting a trailer I think you are going to find once you rent the camper and get a site you are getting close to or even over the cost of a moderate.

As for a cabin, now you are getting close to a deluxe.

Unless you have you own equipment, anything you do is going to cost more then a value.

Now if you want to camp please camp, but renting a trailer or cabin is not going to add up to a budget trip.

ETA: I just checked out cheaprvrental.com and its not the actual company you rent from its just a domain parking site with a listing of other RV rental sites. If you notice there is a Inquire about this Domain link at the bottom of the page. So the question on delivery depends on which site you clicked.

Try traveltrailerrent.com
You won't be unhappy and it is more than comparable to a moderate, including the site and Probably cheaper and can sleep up to 9. Best of all, you're at the Fort.

Just be aware that most of the above recommendations are for other DISboard members who have rental businesses that are promoted through this camping thread. An alternative for you might be renting a Disney Cabin on the 30% off special rate in the value season. There are no hassles, contracts, or deposits in case of damage, etc. when you rent a cabin. It's easy, you just arrive and start playing at Ft Wilderness. It is truly the best of both worlds: really cute and comfortable with loads of space, and still "camping" at Ft Wilderness. FYI: You can view the cabins extensively at "Allears.net". Have a great time with your sister whatever you choose.

You are correct that some of the renters are DIS posters but the success and reputation of their rental business depends on their service level to their customers. Their reputations are made by their customer care which stands alone from whether they are on the DIS or not. We (or they) really aren't supposed to point out the DIS relationship because then Pete and the rest of the DIS management would want advertising paid (and rightly so). The posters themselves certainly are not. It's a proxy relationship. See the DIS membership terms.

The cabins are Moderate accomodations according to Disney and in a separate post the OP (Steph) said she was planning this trip for the "holiday" season. Not knowing when exactly her dates are you should be careful with your advice. The 30% discounts which have been offered SOMETIMES in the slow Value seasons are not available in the prime holiday seasons.

Cheapest accomodations are a Value room, sure. But renting a camper and having the ability to buy groceries and cook/eat in saves money over being forced to eat out in a Value room every meal. So based on her dates (which only she knows) let's try to provide relevant advice and let her put the pieces together.

:teacher:

Bama ED

BamaEd - Thank-you for your "kind" advice. Now here is some for you. If you make a point of telling new people that you are sending them to rent from your friends; then I won't need to do it.
I always do my best to give people information that is both "relevant", and accurate. Further, I never take advantage of new people by giving them advice that will further the businesses of friends.
I offer information and options; that's all.

BamaEd - Thank-you for your "kind" advice. Now here is some for you. If you make a point of telling new people that you are sending them to rent from your friends; then I won't need to do it.
I always do my best to give people information that is both "relevant", and accurate. Further, I never take advantage of new people by giving them advice that will further the businesses of friends.
I offer information and options; that's all.

Fail.

That's why I gave the Cruise America advice as well (an off-site unrelated company). As well as the Dis rules.

Keep trying.

Good Luck!

Bama ED

Ok, drama aside, let me clarify our trip plans. Our crew would consist of my sister and I as well as my 4 youngest kids (oldest has declared his dislike of the Dis ) who will be 13, 12, 10 and 8. Due to the larger group size, we would need 2 rooms anywhere onsite with the exception of a 2br villa, which we had in August. That changes the cost a bit. We are hoping to arrive 12/29 and head home 1/6. The cost for 2 value rooms the first four nights would be approximately $350 a night vs $93 for a campsite. If we rented a nice 5th wheel from one of the mentioned sites, we would be at about $235 a day, more tha $400 savings just for those days. The last four would probably be more of a wash since room rates drop significantly. Guesstimating $185 a night to camp and about $160 for the value.

I would LOVE to just tent it but my sis is not a camper and doesn't think she could do a tent for that long. A popup is a maybe but she loves the idea of a camper. Planning to make a lot of food ahead of time and bring it with us.

Add another idea here. I have a friend who has offered to let me borrow her popup and tow it down. I will be getting a new car soon so I can have a tow package added on. Am I crazy to consider doing this on my own? I know that once I get to the Ft there are wonderful people who would help me park it but the drive itself? If sis agrees to a popup, it would save some more money but is that amount worth it? What does towing a popup do to gas mileage?

Ok I'm just going to throw this out there.

Off Site. :scared1:

You would save even more and since you have a van, you can get on and off site with no problem. For 235 a night you could get a house with private pool.

Other issues

• Can you even get a site at the Fort at that time? Some weeks at the Fort book years in advance.
  • 6 in a pop up is going to be very tight.
  • What kind of car are you going to get? There are no "cars" that can tow more than a small boat. You need a mid sized SUV or a truck or minivan with a a 6 cylinder engine. We have tried very hard to find a pop up less than 1500 lbs.

Again I'm not against camping I wish I could do it, but sometimes you don't always get what you want.

Hi Mama Steph

Putting myself in your place for a minute. From everything you have written, I think I would rent a pop up. We have a travel trailer now, but our pop up slept 8. Granted, it would probably have slept only 6 adults. But 4 kids and 2 adults would have been very comfy.

You sound interested in possibly borrowing a pop up, so I think this would be a great trial.

Have you ever towed anything before? Not sure I would be comfortable towing your distance for a first time experience.

Sounds like you are planning a great trip. The kids would certainly have a blast.

I didn't mention it before but Traveltrailerrent.com also delivers and sets up the trailer of your choice. They have bunks as well as a bedroom, and a dinette that can fold down and a sofa sleeper if needed. Based on how many you have the savings are there. Being that you're coming from Michigan, gas, even pulling a pop up can be a factor. As well as roads in December, I live in Iowa so yes I know how unpredictable that can be. And no, he's not a personal friend of mine, I was just trying to help someone on here. That's my .02 and I'll leave it at that.

Chartle, we really want to stay onsite. Having EMH is important to us and also the fact that we'll be there at the busiest time of the year, we don't want to be shut out of a park.
I will be getting a new minivan or a Chevy Traverse so pulling the popup won't be a problem. Shouldn't have said car, I have 5 kids, I'll never be able to get a "car".:lmao:
If we go with a popup, I will also have a tent for some of us. My tent sleeps 10 so there would be plenty of space between the 2.

I haven't towed before so a bit nervous about that. If this is the route we go, I will definitely do some driving practice with the popup on my vehicle.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. I will be sure to check into all of them.

Chartle, we really want to stay onsite. Having EMH is important to us and also the fact that we'll be there at the busiest time of the year, we don't want to be shut out of a park.
I will be getting a new minivan or a Chevy Traverse so pulling the popup won't be a problem. Shouldn't have said car, I have 5 kids, I'll never be able to get a "car".:lmao:
If we go with a popup, I will also have a tent for some of us. My tent sleeps 10 so there would be plenty of space between the 2.

I haven't towed before so a bit nervous about that. If this is the route we go, I will definitely do some driving practice with the popup on my vehicle.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. I will be sure to check into all of them.

Well if you are going to want to stay at the Fort you need to make your ressies now and I hope its not too late.

As I posted above, certain weeks at the Fort book years in advance I would think that week is the first to go.

good luck

ETA: I just tried to book for your dates and a Tent/Pop up site came up, you may want to jump on it. It came to $638.

I don't really see staying in FW as a budget vacation, no matter how you do it. If you are planning to bring your own pop up (or that of your friend), then you won't have the additional expense of the rental. So that's good. Sites are expensive that time of year and if you choose to rent a camper..it's not gonna be cheap by any means. I've rented..and yes, from someone here in the forum. I've also stayed a couple of times in the cabins. I for one, prefer the option of the rental because I prefer the regular camping loops. They are closer in proximity to the amenties FW offers. Much as we enjoyed the cabins..they were a bit too removed for my taste. So while I would recommend the campground, and even any of the rentals, I personally wouldn't consider them to be a budget vacation. For me, the decision would be based more on what or how you prefer to vacation. You seemed to have done the math, so while camping isn't exactly "budget"..it is cheaper than the other options you've mentioned. I think it's more a matter of lifestyle and how you or those in your party prefer to vacation.
Additionally, you mention your sister is not into camping. Six in a pop up might be a little tight. While I see you mentioned having a tent. You may want to also consider that it can get pretty chilly the time of year you are visiting. In any case, you have a few different options. Enjoy your trip!:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter