• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking for tips on 1st trip with 13 month old

anpeck

Mouseketeer
My DH and I are taking our DS who will be 13 months old to Disney World in October. I have been to Disney many times but being a first time mom this will be my first trip with a LO. My trips have always consisted of table service dinners at the two credit restaurants and going at my pace which is go go go! I realize this trip is going to be a total 180 from what I'm used to, and I'm looking for any tips, tricks and suggestions that I can get! We are planning on flying from PA so it will be a 2.5 hour flight so any help with flying with a 1 y/o would be greatly appreciated as well! Things I'm wandering about:

Flying--
get the baby his own seat for the carseat or do lap sitting?
what should I bring to entertain the little guy?

Stroller--
take our own or rent?

Resort--
suggestions on what resort to stay at?

Parks--
What rides can he go on?
Can we do any shows? Particularly wondering about Fantasmic! and if it'll be too scary for him.

Restaurants--
Is 13 mo. too young for character meals?

Babysitting--
Has anyone used the babysitting service through Disney? I am just so petrified of letting a stranger watch my little one, but I have read some posts on here where parents were happy with the service. So any personal experience with the services would be great to hear.

And any other suggestions on anything else are definitely welcome! Thank you!

esp if your little one is used to riding in car seat I would buy the seat and take the car seat. nothing is worse than trying to make a little one sit still when they are used to moving. unlike car driving you can stop and take a break. also unless little one will use headphones, plan on no volume or sound activities or toys.

So we did Disney last year with an 8 month old and going back this year with a now 20 month old. As for flying it depends on if you are planning on renting a car or using Disney transportation the whole time. If you are renting a car I would get him his own seat on the plane and take your own car seat. I hate renting a car seat from car rental places bc you never know who's been using that car seat and what kind of wash system the car rental places have for their car seats. We usually bring our own stroller. Both my kids were so use to their strollers and it was just easier lugging them through the airport with their strollers. With resorts it depends on your budget. But IMO I would stay on a monorail resort. So either the Poly, Contemporary, or the Grand. Its just easier being on the monorail with a little one since Epcot and Magic Kingdom will probably be your most visited parks. He can go on any rides that doesnt have a height restriction. Most rides at Magic Kingdom and Epcot don't have a height restriction (except for like the roller coasters and stuff). Fantasmic is a very cool show but I will say that my 6 year old did get a little scared from it. As for a 13 month old I don't think it will be too scary bc hes at the age that he will prolly think the lighs and the effects are really awesome and thats all he will think. Hollywood studios do have a lot of shows for little kids. We saw the Disney Junior show and my 8 month old LOVED it and they also have the Frozen show and Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid. I think he should like a number of the shows at Hollywood Studios. We did a bunch of character meals with him and he loved them. I would suggest the Hollywood & Vine breakfast bc it has the Disney Junior characters. As for babysitting we never did it so I can't give you any feed back on that but honestly I can't imagine doing anything without my kids when we are on vacation, lol. My 1 suggestion would be to keep time set aside for breaks. If you use them great if not thats ok, but at least you have them scheduled. We are scheduling our breaks for after lunch. Its just a good idea to have them there incase you need them

So we did Disney last year with an 8 month old and going back this year with a now 20 month old. As for flying it depends on if you are planning on renting a car or using Disney transportation the whole time. If you are renting a car I would get him his own seat on the plane and take your own car seat. I hate renting a car seat from car rental places bc you never know who's been using that car seat and what kind of wash system the car rental places have for their car seats. We usually bring our own stroller. Both my kids were so use to their strollers and it was just easier lugging them through the airport with their strollers. With resorts it depends on your budget. But IMO I would stay on a monorail resort. So either the Poly, Contemporary, or the Grand. Its just easier being on the monorail with a little one since Epcot and Magic Kingdom will probably be your most visited parks. He can go on any rides that doesnt have a height restriction. Most rides at Magic Kingdom and Epcot don't have a height restriction (except for like the roller coasters and stuff). Fantasmic is a very cool show but I will say that my 6 year old did get a little scared from it. As for a 13 month old I don't think it will be too scary bc hes at the age that he will prolly think the lighs and the effects are really awesome and thats all he will think. Hollywood studios do have a lot of shows for little kids. We saw the Disney Junior show and my 8 month old LOVED it and they also have the Frozen show and Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid. I think he should like a number of the shows at Hollywood Studios. We did a bunch of character meals with him and he loved them. I would suggest the Hollywood & Vine breakfast bc it has the Disney Junior characters. As for babysitting we never did it so I can't give you any feed back on that but honestly I can't imagine doing anything without my kids when we are on vacation, lol. My 1 suggestion would be to keep time set aside for breaks. If you use them great if not thats ok, but at least you have them scheduled. We are scheduling our breaks for after lunch. Its just a good idea to have them there incase you need them
Also curious going with grandson who will be two in jan 2016!

My daughter was older when we went (23 months) but she was still at that toddler stage. I highly recommend a carrier for waiting in lines. Even for a short line my daughter was all over the place and wanting to take off if we didn't put her up in a carrier. We have an ergo and it made life so much easier. Not only for waiting in lines but also for the buses. She had trouble with doing shows except for the Indiana Jones show where she enjoyed the explosions and they kept her interested. However all children are different. I would book a character meal later on in your trip so you can see if he likes the characters or freaks out. My daughter was hesitant about them but didn't loose it. Other kids are different though and absolutely loose it to the point that a character meal isn't fun. Or book a character meal that involves the face characters so he's not freaked out. If you like your stroller I would just bring it with you. No point in spending the money when you have a stroller you like at home. My daughter also was willing to nap in her stroller so we had a fairly fast pace to our trip. We did Wishes fireworks and my daughter loved them while my four-year-old freaked out.
We didn't fly so no advice on that and we stayed at All Star Sports, which worked out well for us but cost was the big deciding factor for us. Good luck!

We took our then 13-month old in September. We flew on a 2.5 hour flight with her as a lap baby. Mixed feelings on that. No problems with her, but I was a nervous wreck that she would bother the 3rd person in our row who wasn't a family member. We took our own stroller and are glad we did. It got a little banged up, but it is what she was used to and we love how easy it is to maneuver. We didn't leave anything that couldn't be replaced in the stroller when in rides. She rode everything we had time for that didn't have a height restriction. She wasn't afraid of PotC or HM. Her favorites were Dumbo and Small World. We did the Halloween party and she enjoyed the parade from her stroller, which was her comfort zone. She wasn't afraid of the fireworks, but she was cranky because it was late. We did the Disney Jr. character breakfast and she liked it a lot. She already recognized the characters though because we do let her watch a little TV on weekends. If your child doesn't recognize the characters the character meals might be a waste. For character meet and greets she was fine with face characters. She was ok with other characters until Mickey spoke. That freaked her out for both Micey and Minnie. We had no luck with going back to the hotel for naps. She would only nap in her stroller so we used hotel time to swim. I will add it was much faster when my husband changed her in the men's room. There was always a line in the ladies room. Have fun!

My son also went to WDW at 13mo. I would definitely bring your own stroller, we got delayed in the airport and it would have been much worse if he didn't have a stroller. I bought a lightweight umbrella stroller that reclined for the trip and it came in handy for local trips to the zoo and stuff afterward. He stayed on my lap for the flights and slept all the way down and back (about 3 hours). Take a bag with a change of clothes, extra diapers/wipes, snacks, small books and toys so everything is handy on the flight. I also had milk which he drank on take off and for landing. The motion seems to put him to sleep since he's slept on multiple flights once we take off. I wore a carrier on the flight and had a small blanket to go over him.

We did MK and Epcot multiple times and DHS one day. I don't think there is all that much at DHS for a young toddler. We did AK when he was 15mo. Between the two I'd pick AK. He really liked the parades but not so much the shows or movies (I didn't let him watch tv at that age so wasn't used to that stuff). Just about all of the rides with no height restriction were a hit, the most popular were Buzz, POTC, Jungle Cruise, IASW, Nemo, the Mexican boat ride and Maelstrom. He loved riding the boat around and around the World Showcase Lagoon. Really anything in a boat was popular, lol. He did fine at the restaurants, we kept to more child friendly/character meals.

Just an fyi, milk can be a little hard to come by in the parks. Surprisingly so for a family centered location, so if your kid will be upset by a milk delay arrive prepared.

Make use of the babycare centers when you pass them. They have nicer changing tables then the restrooms. If you need anything like infant sunblock, infant tylenol, etc., they sell it there.

I got a GardenGrocer delivery so I would have his usual food for him.

I mailed a box to the resort ahead of time with diapers, wipes, sippy cups, an inflatable float for the pool, swimming diapers, an inflatable bathtub, babywash, etc..

It was a great trip at that age, you will have a blast. :thumbsup2

We took a 6 mo old on our first family trip to Disney. As far as a car seat, unless you are renting a car, pass. There are only a handful of car seats that are rated for airplanes. Save the money and lap it if you can. Chances are you will be holding the little one most of the flight anyway. Take your own umbrella stroller. We made a sign to hang off the handlebars and laminated it so it was easy to find it the stroller drop off areas of the rides. As far as the rides and shows, all kids are different. Our daughter enjoyed most of the shows because of the lights and music. We ended up taking her out of It's Tough to be a Bug and another show I can't recall because they upset her. Get a seat with easy access to the exit. Enjoy, you will be making incredible memories.

We are not going until October when Mr. Littles will be 22 months, but we did take a 2.5 hour flight to NYC at 11 months. We got him his own seat and used his Chicco key fit - he had minimal fuss and slept most of the trip. I brought his favorite snacks and small toys for entertainment, and wore him in my boba 4g carrier around the airports. He is on the small side so I hope he meets the 22lbs minimum to use the harness by October!

I can't speak to the Disney sitters, but we are avid care.com users. We needed a sitter in NYC for 2 nights and were able to interview and background check the candidates. We did the same for our local sitters. Great service.

esp if your little one is used to riding in car seat I would buy the seat and take the car seat. nothing is worse than trying to make a little one sit still when they are used to moving. unlike car driving you can stop and take a break. also unless little one will use headphones, plan on no volume or sound activities or toys.
He is pretty good in the car seat and doesn't get super fussy unless he's in there for a super long time. Thanks for the input! :)

We are planning on visiting my grandmother in Tampa one day and from what I've read a lot of people with LO'S liked having a car vs waiting in line at the end of the night with a cranky baby. So I'm 99% sure we will end up renting for the whole week. I agree with the car seat, I'd feel much better having him in his own that he's used to. I'd love to stay in a monorail resort but I'm not sure it's in the budget this time unfortunately. If we can it'll probably be the Contemporary :) I'm excited about character meals. I really thought he'd be too small so I'm happy to hear that he should enjoy them. I honestly couldn't imagine leaving DS behind either lol I'm sure I'd regret it the second I walked out the door so I doubt it'll happen. Thanks so much for your input, much appreciated!

My daughter was older when we went (23 months) but she was still at that toddler stage. I highly recommend a carrier for waiting in lines. Even for a short line my daughter was all over the place and wanting to take off if we didn't put her up in a carrier. We have an ergo and it made life so much easier. Not only for waiting in lines but also for the buses. She had trouble with doing shows except for the Indiana Jones show where she enjoyed the explosions and they kept her interested. However all children are different. I would book a character meal later on in your trip so you can see if he likes the characters or freaks out. My daughter was hesitant about them but didn't loose it. Other kids are different though and absolutely loose it to the point that a character meal isn't fun. Or book a character meal that involves the face characters so he's not freaked out. If you like your stroller I would just bring it with you. No point in spending the money when you have a stroller you like at home. My daughter also was willing to nap in her stroller so we had a fairly fast pace to our trip. We did Wishes fireworks and my daughter loved them while my four-year-old freaked out.
We didn't fly so no advice on that and we stayed at All Star Sports, which worked out well for us but cost was the big deciding factor for us. Good luck!
We have an Ergo carrier too but we haven't had a chance to use it since we haven't gone anywhere that we would need it. So we'll have to get him used to it but I'm sure it'll come in handy! I think we will try some shows but have an escape plan ready lol! I'd hate to be down front in the middle of the row during Beauty and the Beast and DS have a meltdown. Cost is def a factor for us as well. We were looking at All Star Movies but we want a king bed and I can't figure out if they have them at that resort thank you so much for your response, much appreciated!

We took our then 13-month old in September. We flew on a 2.5 hour flight with her as a lap baby. Mixed feelings on that. No problems with her, but I was a nervous wreck that she would bother the 3rd person in our row who wasn't a family member. We took our own stroller and are glad we did. It got a little banged up, but it is what she was used to and we love how easy it is to maneuver. We didn't leave anything that couldn't be replaced in the stroller when in rides. She rode everything we had time for that didn't have a height restriction. She wasn't afraid of PotC or HM. Her favorites were Dumbo and Small World. We did the Halloween party and she enjoyed the parade from her stroller, which was her comfort zone. She wasn't afraid of the fireworks, but she was cranky because it was late. We did the Disney Jr. character breakfast and she liked it a lot. She already recognized the characters though because we do let her watch a little TV on weekends. If your child doesn't recognize the characters the character meals might be a waste. For character meet and greets she was fine with face characters. She was ok with other characters until Mickey spoke. That freaked her out for both Micey and Minnie. We had no luck with going back to the hotel for naps. She would only nap in her stroller so we used hotel time to swim. I will add it was much faster when my husband changed her in the men's room. There was always a line in the ladies room. Have fun!
I have the same fear with flying and DS being a lap baby. We are going to do the Halloween party and I'm really excited for that! I think we'll plan for naps at the resort but he does great sleeping in the stroller now so I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up staying in the parks while he sleeps. He mainly watches mickey mouse clubhouse but has watched jake and doc mcstuffins a little we may have to build them into the schedule :) thanks for the tip on changing him! DH usually changes the LO when we are out for the same reason :) thanks for your response!!

I have never done WDW with a kid that young but I have done it to DL, so some of the same tips apply.

Take your own stroller. If the little guy conks out and you're ready to leave the park, you don't want to have to lift him from the stroller, return the stroller, and then carry him all the way back to your resort. We took out own stroller to WDW when our daughter was 4 and it was definitely the right decision.

I would pick a resort based on location - try to figure out the park you're going to spend the most time at (I'm guessing MK at your son's age) and find one that is convenient to that park. Naturally budget is going to factor into the equation. After the location, then figure out which theming makes the most sense to your family.

On the official WDW website somewhere there is a section about traveling with little ones. Basically just cross out any and all rides that have a height requirement. There are a couple of "tricky" rides where he might be big enough to ride but might not like it. For example, at age 2 my little one was scared of Peter Pan's Flight! I don't think anything is scary in that ride, but as soon as the pirate ship took off and went through the field of stars she starting crying and yelling, "All done! All done!" Same thing with shows. It's hard to tell; some kids his age love Fantasmic! and others are scared silly. It depends so much on the individual child.

I have seen babies too young to walk loving character meals. I've also seen them older than your son crying because the characters scared him/her. I still think you could try it out, particularly with characters like Mickey Mouse who he already "knows." It might be worth it to show photos and/or YouTube videos of the characters in the park so he can get used to the idea of how big they are. I think a lot of little ones see the characters on TV and then are a little intimidated by their size in the park. However, if you're at a character meal and he freaks out about a character visiting, that character will back off. And you can tell your server to please not have any characters stop at your table.

Another way to gauge his reaction to the characters is if you meet them first. If you see Winnie the Pooh and exclaim, "It's Pooh Bear!" and then run up and ask your spouse to take your photo with Pooh, and hug Pooh, then your kid might think, "Oh, that bear is huge but Mommy seems really happy to meet him - he must be okay."

I know that you are going to have a wonderful trip and make wonderful memories!

My son also went to WDW at 13mo. I would definitely bring your own stroller, we got delayed in the airport and it would have been much worse if he didn't have a stroller. I bought a lightweight umbrella stroller that reclined for the trip and it came in handy for local trips to the zoo and stuff afterward. He stayed on my lap for the flights and slept all the way down and back (about 3 hours). Take a bag with a change of clothes, extra diapers/wipes, snacks, small books and toys so everything is handy on the flight. I also had milk which he drank on take off and for landing. The motion seems to put him to sleep since he's slept on multiple flights once we take off. I wore a carrier on the flight and had a small blanket to go over him.

We did MK and Epcot multiple times and DHS one day. I don't think there is all that much at DHS for a young toddler. We did AK when he was 15mo. Between the two I'd pick AK. He really liked the parades but not so much the shows or movies (I didn't let him watch tv at that age so wasn't used to that stuff). Just about all of the rides with no height restriction were a hit, the most popular were Buzz, POTC, Jungle Cruise, IASW, Nemo, the Mexican boat ride and Maelstrom. He loved riding the boat around and around the World Showcase Lagoon. Really anything in a boat was popular, lol. He did fine at the restaurants, we kept to more child friendly/character meals.

Just an fyi, milk can be a little hard to come by in the parks. Surprisingly so for a family centered location, so if your kid will be upset by a milk delay arrive prepared.

Make use of the babycare centers when you pass them. They have nicer changing tables then the restrooms. If you need anything like infant sunblock, infant tylenol, etc., they sell it there.

I got a GardenGrocer delivery so I would have his usual food for him.

I mailed a box to the resort ahead of time with diapers, wipes, sippy cups, an inflatable float for the pool, swimming diapers, an inflatable bathtub, babywash, etc..

It was a great trip at that age, you will have a blast. :thumbsup2

Oh wow! I can only hope that we'll be so lucky for him to sleep the whole time, even just one way! When we go on trips in the car he usually falls right asleep and stays asleep until we get where we're going. He is used to waking up at 5am for daycare and usually falls asleep on the way there and it's only 5 minutes away. So I'm wondering if we book an early flight if the little guy might sleep. Thanks for the tips on what to bring! I would hate to get stranded in the airport for whatever reason and have to buy a $20 pack of 10 diapers lol!

I was afraid POTC and HM would scare him with it being so dark but maybe he will be too little to be scared of that kind of stuff? I guess we will find out lol! There was a time when he was much smaller, maybe 2 months old, and started crying hysterically and I couldn't figure out what to do for him. I randomly decided to get on YouTube and pulled up a video of It's A Small World and after about 10 seconds he was quiet and so happy! I have played it for him many times since then and I always get the same reaction. So I am very excited to see what he does on the actual ride. I wish he'd gotten to ride Maelstrom :(

We will definitely check out the babycare centers. And I'm going to look into the GardenGrocer as well! That's a great idea about mailing stuff ahead of time to the resort.

Thank you, I'm really looking forward to it! Thanks for your tips!

We took a 6 mo old on our first family trip to Disney. As far as a car seat, unless you are renting a car, pass. There are only a handful of car seats that are rated for airplanes. Save the money and lap it if you can. Chances are you will be holding the little one most of the flight anyway. Take your own umbrella stroller. We made a sign to hang off the handlebars and laminated it so it was easy to find it the stroller drop off areas of the rides. As far as the rides and shows, all kids are different. Our daughter enjoyed most of the shows because of the lights and music. We ended up taking her out of It's Tough to be a Bug and another show I can't recall because they upset her. Get a seat with easy access to the exit. Enjoy, you will be making incredible memories.

I also had to take my son out of It's Tough to be a Bug, it scared him.

I won't even take my kids into this show. I am freaked out by bugs and my 1 son is completely freaked out by bugs. He would have nightmares for months if I made him go in and see that show, lol

I love your idea for the sign on the stroller, that would definitely make it easier to find it amongst all the others. I have to agree with all of you on It's Tough to be a Bug. It even scares me at certain points lol! I think we will save that one for later.

We are not going until October when Mr. Littles will be 22 months, but we did take a 2.5 hour flight to NYC at 11 months. We got him his own seat and used his Chicco key fit - he had minimal fuss and slept most of the trip. I brought his favorite snacks and small toys for entertainment, and wore him in my boba 4g carrier around the airports. He is on the small side so I hope he meets the 22lbs minimum to use the harness by October!

I can't speak to the Disney sitters, but we are avid care.com users. We needed a sitter in NYC for 2 nights and were able to interview and background check the candidates. We did the same for our local sitters. Great service.
I will definitely make sure to have his favorite toys. He has this Baby Einstein music thing that lights up and plays music and he just LOVES it. It has two volume settings so I hope the first one is low enough that it doesn't annoy anyone cause that keeps him occupied really well. Our little guy is small as well, he only weight 5lbs 11oz at birth, so I know what you mean!

I'll look into the care.com, thank you! The only thing I may have wanted to do with my husband as a couple is dinner one night at one of the fancier sit-down restaurants. But I have a feeling I would feel too guilty leaving him behind at WDW to do it :) I hope you have a wonderful trip in October!

I have never done WDW with a kid that young but I have done it to DL, so some of the same tips apply.

Take your own stroller. If the little guy conks out and you're ready to leave the park, you don't want to have to lift him from the stroller, return the stroller, and then carry him all the way back to your resort. We took out own stroller to WDW when our daughter was 4 and it was definitely the right decision.

I would pick a resort based on location - try to figure out the park you're going to spend the most time at (I'm guessing MK at your son's age) and find one that is convenient to that park. Naturally budget is going to factor into the equation. After the location, then figure out which theming makes the most sense to your family.

On the official WDW website somewhere there is a section about traveling with little ones. Basically just cross out any and all rides that have a height requirement. There are a couple of "tricky" rides where he might be big enough to ride but might not like it. For example, at age 2 my little one was scared of Peter Pan's Flight! I don't think anything is scary in that ride, but as soon as the pirate ship took off and went through the field of stars she starting crying and yelling, "All done! All done!" Same thing with shows. It's hard to tell; some kids his age love Fantasmic! and others are scared silly. It depends so much on the individual child.

I have seen babies too young to walk loving character meals. I've also seen them older than your son crying because the characters scared him/her. I still think you could try it out, particularly with characters like Mickey Mouse who he already "knows." It might be worth it to show photos and/or YouTube videos of the characters in the park so he can get used to the idea of how big they are. I think a lot of little ones see the characters on TV and then are a little intimidated by their size in the park. However, if you're at a character meal and he freaks out about a character visiting, that character will back off. And you can tell your server to please not have any characters stop at your table.

Another way to gauge his reaction to the characters is if you meet them first. If you see Winnie the Pooh and exclaim, "It's Pooh Bear!" and then run up and ask your spouse to take your photo with Pooh, and hug Pooh, then your kid might think, "Oh, that bear is huge but Mommy seems really happy to meet him - he must be okay."

I know that you are going to have a wonderful trip and make wonderful memories!

We've been thinking about renting points from David's Vacation Rental so if we do that we might be able to swing the Bay Lake Towers. If not it would be the Boardwalk Villas or the AK Studios. We are going to the food and wine festival probably more than once so BWV would definitely be a good location as a backup.

Awww :( That's what I'm afraid of. Being in the middle of a ride and my LO freaking out. What I can't stand is when I see parents forcing crying children onto a ride. That's just not fun for anyone.

That's a great tip for the characters! If he seems backwards I will have to try that and see if he warms up to the character.

Thank you, I am so excited and looking forward to this trip very much! Thanks for the input!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter