• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking for shopping advice in Anchorage Alaska

v.t.

DIS Veteran
We are vacationing in Alaska this summer for 10 days. We will have to stock up 2 RVs for 11 people. Does anyone live in Anchorage and have advice where to shop? Not only for groceries, but also sporting goods and gas. Also, can we use coupons?

TIA!

Yes, stores in Anchorage take coupons.

I don't live there, but have visited several times. They have many different gas stations, there is an REI, Target, Safeway, Fred Meyers. Pretty much what you would find in the lower 48. Try doing a Google search for stores in Anchorage.

Yes, stores in Anchorage take coupons.

I don't live there, but have visited several times. They have many different gas stations, there is an REI, Target, Safeway, Fred Meyers. Pretty much what you would find in the lower 48. Try doing a Google search for stores in Anchorage.

It's worth mentioning that the Safeway stores in Alaska are branded Carrs/Safeway.

Thanks guys,
I know we will buy snacks and pre packaged food for convience, so I was trying to save up my coupons. I had heard it was more expensive up there so I was trying to come up with a game plan.

Thanks again.

My sister lives there. I have not visited yet but she tells me everything is more expensive...food and gas especially!

I don't actually live there, about a 3 hour car trip. And it's where we go when we have big shopping to do; and it's cheaper than here. But NOT cheaper than in the lower 48.

There is no sales tax in Anchorage so that is a bit of a savings.

There is a Walmart (2 of them)
Fred Meyer (2 of them) (has pretty much everything under one roof)
Safeway or Carrs-Safeway (I still call it Carrs)
Sportsman warehouse
Rei
Costco (2)
Sams club

Many of these stores have loyalty programs, If you don't already have a card I would go online and sign up for one. (especially Safeway)

For gas Anchorage will probably be the cheapest area to get it.
Safeway has a station (and sometimes have discounts depending on how much you've spent)
We typically get gas at the Costco, almost always the cheapest place, and most convenient for us (it's our last stop before heading home)

Have a great trip, and pray for dry weather! (the last 2 summers we've had record rainfall!!!)

Carrs/Safeway is the best place for produce. But they are more expensive than Fred Meyer or Walmart on everything else, unless something is on sale. An example is yoplait yogurt at Walmart is .68 and at Carrs it's .99/container. Fred Meyer and Walmart are pretty similar in prices.

I agree with the previous post about signing up for the loyalty programs.

Gas was $3.99/gallon around town today.

Have a great trip.

We went to a Walmart in Anchorage, and took a look at their souvenier section. Their prices were very good, and frankly, the stock was the same stuff we saw all along the route of our cruise in many of the tourist shops.

(Frankly, we noticed the same thing in Maui, and Puerto Vallarta.)

Someone mentioned it might be cheaper to buy some of the more expensive items here and pay the extra luggage fee. Do you think the price difference is enough to justify the $20 baggage fee? If so, what items? I was thinking sunscreen, bug spray, but what about canned chicken, peanut butter, etc....

Thanks!

Someone mentioned it might be cheaper to buy some of the more expensive items here and pay the extra luggage fee. Do you think the price difference is enough to justify the $20 baggage fee? If so, what items? I was thinking sunscreen, bug spray, but what about canned chicken, peanut butter, etc....

Thanks!

Definately bug spray(non aresol) and Benadryl or lanacain cream for bug bites; the bugs here are voracious! as well as sunscreen and a first aid kit

Remember you will have to find a place to store the extra luggage as well.
And with 11 people space may be tight.
And convenience, you will still need to stop at the grocery anyway for meat/dairy/produce/bakery (and typically those are the more expensive items anyway)

You may want to bring with you small items that wouldn't require an extra bag.
Ziplock bags with things such as spices, sugar, dry creamer, drink mixes, and any other smallish dry goods your group likes

you can go online to fred meyer or safeway and type in an anchorage zip code to see the sales papers to compare prices
Anchorage zips are 99502-99513 I think.

Definately bug spray(non aresol) and Benadryl or lanacain cream for bug bites; the bugs here are voracious! as well as sunscreen and a first aid kit

you can go online to fred meyer or safeway and type in an anchorage zip code to see the sales papers to compare prices
Anchorage zips are 99502-99513 I think.

That's a great idea, thanks.
We will be in your area the last week of July, any suggestions on places to fish? The guided trips are out of our price range.

We went on a cruise last year, and the highlight of the trip was talking to the locals in Skagway. I would LOVE to live in Alaska one day, and it was great to hear the basics of what life there is like.
The big thing I remember was one guy telling us that he misses fresh milk- they drink mostly powder since by the time the milk is shipped up there, it is a day or two away from expiration. So maybe bring some powdered milk with you!

That's a great idea, thanks.
We will be in your area the last week of July, any suggestions on places to fish? The guided trips are out of our price range.

Warning you must have a fishing license and be aware of the limits for each day. We have VERY ENTHUSIASTIC fish and game officers!!!
End of July huh? you will get to see some amazing fishing on the mouth of the Kenai! For locals only, dipnet fishing last week of July. Just dip in your net and scoop the salmon out! Pretty neat to watch, but can get smelly on the beach, and if you have a dog, well...... they umm.... like to roll in all the fish guts!
5410633.75631.original.highlight.prod_affiliate.7.jpg

Guided trips are very pricey, but they do find you the fish! And supply the gear!
Where to fish depends on what you're fishing for, halibut best bet would be out of Homer on a half day charter, unless you have a friend with a boat! (about $100 per) or out of Seward but that's only full day charters (or has been in the past)

For salmon fishing you could just drop your line in from any public dock.
Or there's fishing (AKA combat fishing) on the Russian River (never done it but it looks amazing)
Alaskan_Combat_Fishing.jpg

We went on a cruise last year, and the highlight of the trip was talking to the locals in Skagway. I would LOVE to live in Alaska one day, and it was great to hear the basics of what life there is like.
The big thing I remember was one guy telling us that he misses fresh milk- they drink mostly powder since by the time the milk is shipped up there, it is a day or two away from expiration. So maybe bring some powdered milk with you!

Yes we get fresh milk here (It's pricey tho, costs alot to feed a cow through winter) anywhere on the road system you should be able to find milk. Skagway would be different off the road, so they do have to rely on other types of milk.

AlaskaMom,
Thank you so much for the information. Would you mind if I sent you a PM with a few questions?

There is no problem finding fresh milk in Anchorage, so this isn't a worry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter