Looking for Parking Tips

Gumbatman

Earning My Ears
We are going to Universal Studios (for the first time) this weekend and are staying off grounds. Do you have tips on getting good parking?

Thank you.

When I went in 2012, there were parking attendants that directed you where to park. So you'll be forced to park where they direct you to. Obviously, the sooner you get there the closer you'll be. I'm not sure what happens when people arrive in the afternoon?

On the last day we went to the park we splurged and paid extra for preferred parking which helped us be that much closer to entrance. If the extra $8 a day isn't a big deal for you, then I would recommend preferred parking.

drew64 said:
Arrive early

Yes. You're right. I imagine that is the best strategy. But is that the only thing? Meaning just by getting there early I will be directed to a good spot? Are there other lots that have a walking shortcut that I wouldn't necessarily know about?

With Disney I was able to purchase blue diamond parking (not clear on the ethics of that). I didn't know if there was anything else similar.

Thanks

The parking is in two huge parking garages and it's hard to predict where they will direct you. I've splurged on the preferred parking and it is usually nice and close to the walkway into Citywalk.

If the moving sidewalks are working everywhere then that can really make it easy to get into Citywalk. They are even nicer in reverse after a long park day.

It's pretty easy to remember generally where you park too. Each floor is marked by a character or movie (Spiderman, Jurassic Park, ET, etc.) and they even play the music that fits.

Yes. You're right. I imagine that is the best strategy. But is that the only thing? Meaning just by getting there early I will be directed to a good spot? Are there other lots that have a walking shortcut that I wouldn't necessarily know about?
You will need to park in one of the garages. If you park in any other lot that does not belong to Universal you run the risk of getting towed and having to pay a hefty fine to get your car back.

There is no telling which level you will be directed to. I've been going to Universal for ten years and have arrived at all different times. I think I've parked on every level in both garages at some point. They block off large lots for night time events like Mardi Gras and Halloween Horror Nights. Any level is fine except the top level especially if it's hot out. Just don't forget where you park. Level three is Preferred parking which puts you on the main level. You will not have to fool with escalators or elevators on this level. But again...any level is fine.

There is no good parking or bad parking. There is nowhere that is that much less walking than anywhere else. 100 yard difference between the closest and the furthest spot, which is nothing compared to the walking you'll be doing in the parks. So don't even give it a second thought.

There is no good parking or bad parking. There is nowhere that is that much less walking than anywhere else. 100 yard difference between the closest and the furthest spot, which is nothing compared to the walking you'll be doing in the parks. So don't even give it a second thought.

I beg to differ. We parked at the very back corner of the furthest away parking structure. We were walking, and walking, and walking (yes we used the moving sidewalks) to get there. It took so long to get to the car that we actually started taking a video of the experience on the way there.

I generally stay on site but have found the extra money for "premium parking" at the Hollywood location as well as other parks around the country (including Disneyland) to be well worth the money at the end of a long park day.

I beg to differ. We parked at the very back corner of the furthest away parking structure. We were walking, and walking, and walking (yes we used the moving sidewalks) to get there. It took so long to get to the car that we actually started taking a video of the experience on the way there.
Both parking structures are exactly the same distance away. It IS a long walk to the parks, but it's a long walk no matter where you're parked. There is very little difference between the closest spot and the furthest spot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter