Looking For Online Resources About Autism

chipsgirl

Earning My Ears
Hello all. I lurk over on the main boards every now and then but I have recently found this group over here. I have a just under two year old son with diagnosed language, sensory, and feeding issues. He has been in therapy for awhile for all of the above as well as several other developmental delays. We have an autism eval scheduled but in the meantime, what are some great online resources you all can recommend?

Here is a link to other links,

http://www.hhs.gov/autism/

Most of it is reasonably up to date.

Remember that Autism genetics manefest across a spectrum from profoundly effected individuals to Einstein. At your child's age it is hard to tell where he will end up (and a lot depends on the support and skills development he gets).

Just a note, eating issues are very often just a manefestions of sensory issues.

bookwormde

Thanks for the website. I am well aware of how SPD and eating issues are connected. All of it actually started very early as he had a GI motlility disorder and was not able to handle solids until over a year old. Since then it has been a matter of him not understanding what to do with the food once in his mouth. He's also very sensitive to pressure on his gums and just all around a picky eater. Meal times are no fun!

:hug: I don't have any resources but have you tried having him use a battery powered toothbrush or motorized lollipop several times a day for oral stimulation? We did this with DD11 when she was two. She had texture issues and could not swallow meat. She stored wads of chewed food in her cheeks (like a chipmunk) and I'd have to sweep her mouth to remove food during meals. She could not spit well either. We spent lots of time trying to blow bubbles. If I think of any of the other oral activities we did, I'll post them. She was eating well by the time she entered preschool at four.

There is a lot of good (and visual) information on youtube. When I was first researching I found it very helpful to actually see what other kids, other ages "looked like" and I found not only familiarity with what I was facing, but also hope for the future. So 4 years later I have posted several videos myself of speech therapy sessions, milestones, etc. and I get comments daily on how much they have helped others :thumbsup2

Lucigo that is an awesome idea about Youtube. Any certain search terms I should use?

Kat, we have yet to get to the vibrating toothbrush level but he is responding really well to facial massage and is starting to enjoy it. My son does the chipmunk thing to and easily chokes. :scared1:

Thank you for the encouragement!

Lucigo that is an awesome idea about Youtube. Any certain search terms I should use?

Kat, we have yet to get to the vibrating toothbrush level but he is responding really well to facial massage and is starting to enjoy it. My son does the chipmunk thing to and easily chokes. :scared1:

Thank you for the encouragement!

Here is my channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/lucigo

As far as what else to search, basically anything and everything! Sensory, floortime, autism, speech therapy, ABA, OT. A lot of times you can just start with one video and then look at the suggestions along the side and see where they take you. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter