Looking for New York vacation advice/tips

PATH is a subway type train to NYC it's a great option if you stay I. hoboken or Jersey City to commute to th city without worrying about traffic.

I take it to work almost every day!

I would keep looking at hotels in the city. The commute in and back to NJ each day will get old quickly. The Affinia hotels offer little apartments that are great for families. The kitchenette is great for quick, cheap breakfasts and to reheat leftovers.

If you go in late August, try to catch some of the US Open. So fun to wander around the grounds and pop into different games.

Try getting into a late night show taping (I mean any of those shows, not specifically The Late Show...). I've always wanted to try that. But you'd spend a lot of time in line.

If you aren't staying in the city, I would for sure stay somewhere close enough to take the PATH train, as others have said.

The places in NJ we are looking at are Fort Lee, Englewood and Hoboken, any tips on where to go or where to avoid?

Don't stay in Englewood, that's too far north from where you want to be. Stick with Hoboken.

Add Liberty Science Center to your list since you'll be on this side of the river anway. It's awesome!

Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken is a very nice hotel right across the Hudson River from NYC....beautiful view of NYC skyline. You can take the Ferry across right from the back of the hotel. It is an 8 min. ferry ride.

http://www.sheratonlincolnharbor.com/

Also visit the Intrepid Museum....walkable from where the ferry drops you off on the Manhattan side. When the ferry drops you off on the Manhattan side there are complimentary buses that take you to many popular places in NY. The bus is included in your ferry ticket price.

http://www.nywaterway.com/

MJ

Also check out groupon and livingsocial for local discounts. We were able to get a ferry tour to the Statue of Liberty last summer for half price.

Great ideas, thank you all. Looks like we have a good amount of information to look at.

NYC in August, Summer time in the City. A few alternatives would be a trip to Coney Island. NY Aquarium, A ride on the Cyclone, and of course a couple of Hot Dogs and Fries at the Original Nathan's. Walk across the Street and try to grab the Brass Ring on the Merry-Go-Round. There may be a some vendors in Bryant Park. Stop by the Carnigie Deli for a Pastrami Sandwich to die for. A stroll into Central Park would be nice as would just people watching on the Great Lawn. If still running take a Handsome Cab ride, the SFB Mayor is trying to get them shut down. Sunday Brunch at the Plaza Hotels Palm Court is always expensive but a treat. A trip up to the Bronx to see the NY Yankees play or trip on the 7 train to Flushing to watch the hapless Mets play. Across from CitiField, is Flushing Meadows park. You can still see remnants of the 1964/65 Worlds fair. In late August the US Open will be playing at Flushing Meadows Park. If you like the Music of Carol King, Go see the Musical Beautiful. If you have a car take a day trip to Jones Beach Field 4/5. This was a public works project in the 1930's. It has to be one of the most Beautiful beaches on the east coast. I love going to see the USS Intreped which now has the Space Shuttle Enterprise on it's deck along with Aircraft from World War II upto present day.

Hubby and I are planning on going to NYC this spring. Where we are staying is up in the air. Maybe Sheraton Weehawken, or another that I can't think of at the moment(south of there, but not far).

We want to the the Intrepid, ride bikes through Central park, go to the Top of the Rock at dusk(did this before, AMAZING!!!!!), maybe walk the Brooklyn Bridge, visit the 9/11 museum, and I am sure I will think of other things between now and then.

I'd recommend staying at the Courtyard Marriott in Jersey City. We've stayed there several times and every stay has been great. My daughter even forgot something once, which we discovered on the drive home. We called and they mailed it to our home.

I quickly glanced through the responses and didn't see this suggestion...

Lower East Side Tenement Museum tours http://www.tenement.org/

They do a wonderful job of bring the American Immigrant experience to life.

If still running take a Handsome Cab ride, the SFB Mayor is trying to get them shut down.

Please do not take a hansom cab. It is terribly cruel, especially in August. Hopefully the mayor will be successful in his efforts.

Keep looking for deals in the city. NJ will not save you all that much over the city. Besides the commuting will cost you time and Money every day.

Your daughters are still of the age where they might enjoy the American Girl Doll store.

Look into staying in Long Island City Queens as an alternative to NJ.

Keep looking for deals in the city. NJ will not save you all that much over the city. Besides the commuting will cost you time and Money every day.

$2.75 pp & 20 minutes each way -- I'm fine with doing that to save $125+ a night

High Line Park-it is SO unique and you can do just a segment...do a segment near.....
Chelsea Market...lots of eateries-get a bite at this one...and a bite at another One

NYC Library (Next to Bryant park) -go to the Top Floor to the READING ROOM...the woodwork and ceiling painting is AMAZING

Central Park...near one of the Fountains by the Boathouse-its just beautiful

I would keep an eye on hotel deals such as travelzoo.com for Manhattan hotels mostly because I much prefer to stay in the city itself. Also look as the newyorkpass.com

\

Excellent ideas. Just looked at the Stardust, too rowdy for us but it looks fun.

Stardust is not rowdy- the singing is fun but the food there is just about edible- its pretty bad. Its all about the entertainment there, not so much the food.
My 15 year old is in the city a few times a month with her friends- they spend a lot of time on the Highline. They also recently took a walking chocolate tour that I believe was either in Chelsea or Greenwich village.
They also liked The Cloisters and basically any Broadway show! They also visit the main Library in NYC too and love Washington Square Park.
I would not stay out of NYC though if that is where I was vacationing, there is nothing like staying in the city, hanging out in Times Square at midnight people watching and being just steps away from your hotel. I live 40 minutes out of the city but at least twice a year we stay in the city overnight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter