• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking for new things to do/see on a child's birthday trip

doclegler

DIS Veteran
We have been to the Orlando area every year for the past 15 years, so we have seen every theme park available. We have also been to the gulf coast (Clearwater Beach area and Caladesi Island) and the Atlantic side (Daytona and Cocoa) along with Kennedy Space Center and Legoland.
What we are looking for on our next trip is things that we haven't seen that our soon-to-be 10 year old would enjoy. For those Florida locals, what fun things can be done south of the Orlando area? We are even thinking of going as far as Key West. I'd love to hear fun ideas that include more for the nature-lover, like kayaking, air boat rides, and fishing, or any other fun sights in southern Florida!
:thanks:

Last edited:
Maybe an Everglades Airboat Ride to see the gators. There is a good one near Christmas, FLA 30 mins outside of Orlando. Think its called Midway Airboat Rides. I visited a few yrs ago with my family and my 8 yr old niece. Its rustic and very old Florida. Nothing fancy. Maybe check out a youtube video or two to see if it is for you & your family.

There are some cool state parks with tubing, hiking and other recreational activities. Just search up state parks central florida

Good ideas from previous posters & here is another one

Blue Heron River Tours at Hontoon Landing near Deland ( North of Orlando ) phone 386 873 4843

Maybe an Everglades Airboat Ride to see the gators. There is a good one near Christmas, FLA 30 mins outside of Orlando. Think its called Midway Airboat Rides. I visited a few yrs ago with my family and my 8 yr old niece. Its rustic and very old Florida. Nothing fancy. Maybe check out a youtube video or two to see if it is for you & your family.

That looks like fun for a non-park day! I see gators all the time (live in Texas in the winter) but my GS never has. I was thinking some sort of gator tour (but NOT a gator 'park'!) and maybe a beach day. He's never seen the ocean either, although we have tons of lakes including Lake Michigan and Lake Superior, for beaches.

When you went, was it something that a 5 year old would probably enjoy? I think even just riding the airboat might be cool for him, and if I see some wildlife I'd be happy. It would totally get us out of the unreality of Disney, in a good way, for a day.

That looks like fun for a non-park day! I see gators all the time (live in Texas in the winter) but my GS never has. I was thinking some sort of gator tour (but NOT a gator 'park'!) and maybe a beach day. He's never seen the ocean either, although we have tons of lakes including Lake Michigan and Lake Superior, for beaches.

When you went, was it something that a 5 year old would probably enjoy? I think even just riding the airboat might be cool for him, and if I see some wildlife I'd be happy. It would totally get us out of the unreality of Disney, in a good way, for a day.

I think a 5 yr old would enjoy . . . my 7 yr old niece enjoyed it. It could be a bit intense for some young children as the airboat by definition goes very fast, the wind whips by your face and you are surrounded by gators on the banks as you zip through the river marsh. Sunglasses are a must to keep your eyes from tearing up and to protect against flying bugs. Provided family is seated on either side of him, and available for a little handholding :-), it should be fine. You would want good weather for the experience. If its raining, it could definitely be a miserable time. When I visited a few yrs ago, they had a very small private animal zoo in the gift shop. Pot bellied pig snoozing on the floor. Cockatoo in a cage - watch your fingers. Python in a terrarium. At the end of the ride, there was an opportunity to hold a baby gator (with duct taped snout) for photos. I did this and was surprised by how warm/soft the skin was. I would emphasize this is not a big, modern PC kind of place. More of a small, old-fashioned, family run roadside attraction (but with a stand out air boat experience). It won't be for every family and every taste. Definitely check out some of their youtube videos so you can get a sense of it. Google youtube midway airboat rides Christmas, Florida and a couple should pop up.

Here is what I would do ........ Go to " Christmas " on Hwy 50 ( E.Colonial Drive ) and at the junction where the Christmas Tree is ( Left hand

side ) Turn Left . Go along this road and on your Left you will find a full seize Replica of Fort Christmas . There is a playground & benches

Then return to Hwy 50 & turn Left . towards Titusville and again on your left you will come to Airboat Rides of Midway (and hold a babygator

WWW.AirBoatRidessAtMidway.com phone 407 568 6790

Your 5 year old will really enjoy that day.

Caspersan Beach in Venice, FL is the shark tooth capital. my son loves going hunting for shark teeth. the gulf side beaches are so great

Definitely check out one of central Florida's natural springs for swimming. My favorite is Rock Springs at Kelly Park. Google pictures of it- it's a natural lazy river and it's absolutely gorgeous! Entrance fee is minimal and a tube is only a couple of dollars. Wekiva Springs and Blue Springs are fun as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter