Looking for Low Fat Recipes/Tips

Sweety_tweety

Mouseketeer
I am hoping some of you might have some good low fat recipes to share.

I was just diagnosed with high cholesterol. I don't have the healthiest eating habits--I very rarely go to fast food. I eat lots of fruit and already use Smart Balance/Olivio and olive oil. My doc put me on medicine, but it is not agreeing with me.

The Food Network has alot of recipes to use to lower your cholesterol.
Read this article and bookmark the sight.It helped me,I hope it helps you!

The best meal for anyone worried about their cholesterol is a meal low in saturated fat and abundant in fruits and vegetables. And although there are no magic bullets beyond that healthy prescription, certain foods have been shown to give cholesterol levels an extra nudge in the right direction.

Weave some of these whole foods, all pinpointed by research as cholesterol-friendly, into your daily diet, and be sure to try some of our heart-healthy recipes below.

Alcohol

Drinking a glass of wine with dinner — any alcoholic beverage, in fact — has been shown to raise good-cholesterol levels and lower the risk of a heart attack. (Excessive drinking, however, raises heart-disease danger.)

Almonds

Substances in almond skins help prevent LDL "bad" cholesterol from being oxidized, a process that can otherwise damage the lining of blood vessels and increase cardiovascular risk.

Sprinkle almonds on cereals and salads, nibble on a handful for an afternoon snack.
Avocados

The monounsaturated fats in avocados have been found to lower "bad" LDLs and raise "good" HDLs, especially in people with mildly elevated cholesterol.

Slice avocadoes into sandwiches and salads or mash with garlic, lemon juice and salsa for a terrific guacamole.
Barley

When volunteers in a USDA study added barley to the standard American Heart Association diet, LDL "bad" cholesterol levels fell more than twice as far.

Barley makes a great substitute for rice, adds depth to soups and is terrific combined with dried fruits, nuts and a little oil and vinegar for a hearty salad.
Beans & Lentils

From a recent study in the Annals of Internal Medicine, LDL "bad" cholesterol levels fell almost twice as far in those volunteers on a low-fat diet who added beans and lentils (along with more whole grains and vegetables) to the menu.

Experiment with beans in soups, salads, and dips. Tuck them into burritos, lasagnas and casseroles.
Blueberries

Blueberries contain a powerful antioxidant called pterostilbene that may help lower LDL cholesterol.

Toss a cup of frozen blueberries together with a half-cup of orange juice and vanilla-flavored yogurt into the blender for a healthy breakfast drink. Sprinkle fresh blueberries on cereals and eat them by the handfuls for snacks.
Oats

When women in a University of Toronto study added oat bran to an already heart-healthy diet, HDL-cholesterol levels — the beneficial kind — climbed more than 11 percent.

Consider a daily bowl of oat bran hot cereal or old-fashioned oatmeal for breakfast. Oat bran muffins can also pack a tasty dose into your day.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-eating/7-super-foods-that-may-help-lower-cholesterol/index.html

Thanks for the info--that is exactly what I was looking for--something easy and simple to improve my eating habits. Thanks! :thumbsup2

I have to tell you that one thing that dropped my cholesterol very quickly was going low carb, it was a side effect of my diagnosis as a Type 2 diabetic.

Now I'm not talking Atkins kind of low carb, but about 100 gms per day. Those came from complex carbs like whole grains, beans, veggies and some fruit.

Exercise is another big component and walking is one of the best so tie up those sneaks and hit the road. :rotfl:

One of my family's favorite recipes is from WW (its one from the 90's) and it never fails to please...

Easy Chicken Skillet

Makes 4 servings

12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
1 small yellow onion, halved & thinly sliced
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes in juice, undrained
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon dried basil
Parmesan cheese to taste

Heat a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil & cook chicken until browned, stirring frequently.
Add carrots, celery & onions. Cook until vegetables are wilted. Add tomatoes and 1/2 can white wine or water. Add salt & pepper to taste. Add basil. Mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat and add cheese to taste.

I like to add some garlic as well. I serve this with orzo, but rice or any other pasta would do. Could also be served as is.

You might want to look up some WW recipes and see if anything catches your eye.

I try to walk whenever possible:thumbsup2 Also, try cuting the amount of cheese in a recipe in half - substitute a more flavoursome cheese (like parmesan) and you won't miss it, and use creme fraiche instead of sour cream.

I also weigh my cereal - when it says "a 30g portion" or whatever, you'd be surprised how easy it is to pour double and not notice:scared1: I like the Oatibix minis with cranberry - two good things in one cereal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter