Looking for input on some rides

MinnieMouse84

Mouseketeer
There are some rides that I'm not sure if I want to try. I'll say what my worries are for each of them.

Astro Orbiter - I'm not too worried about the height because I can make it go lower, but it might spin too fast.

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage - Claustrophobia mostly. And seasickness.

Flik's Flyers - Height seems manageable. Worried about it spinning too fast.

Golden Zephyr - Looks possibly scary in terms of height and spinning.

Jumpin' Jellyfish - High up, no lap bar, legs danging, likely vertigo.

Radiator Springs Racers - Sharp turns, and I know the ride is safe, but I'm irrationally worried about the cars crashing into each other.

Silly Symphony Swings - Legs dangling and it looks too high and too fast.

I do plan to do Splash Mountain and Soarin' even though they look scary to me. For some reason I'm not as worried about them. I'm wondering how people who have similar fears/issues felt on any of the rides I mentioned. I know everyone's experience is different, and I won't make my final decisions until I'm there.

I hate spinning rides, lol, so I won't go near any of them.

Finding Nemo - Seasickness is not a issue because the sub runs on a track so does not actually move up and down and does not bob in the water. It just blows bubbles by the window to make it look like it's diving. Claustrophobia definitely could be a problem. It's small and dark, maybe 20 people in a sub? You can't really stand up in it. If you're claustrophobic I would pass.

Radiator Springs Racers - I don't recall any tight turns, though it does make a banked turn with acceleration. Maybe check out a YouTube video and see what you think?

Reading this I feel like I have some similar fears as you.

Astro orbiter - unlike dumbo the space ship tilts outward I believe so I always feel as if I'm going to fall out. It also raises you up to the highest height at the end for a few spins and you cannot control it. I do not enjoy this ride.

Nemo- I didn't feel see sick at all but it is claustrophobic in my opinion. I've heard there is a version you can ride that is in a room and not in the sub if you really want to experience it. I did it once but won't do it again.

Golden zephyr- I've only been on this once and it made me extremely motion sick. Like the Astro Orbitor it leans and gives me the feeling that I'm going to fall out.

Swings - have never been on these they look terrifying to me.

I've never been on fliks but it looks pretty tame.

The jellyfish were easy and felt little kiddish. I don't recall feeling like I was going to fall out but it's been years since I was on it.

Radiator racers - you sit low in the vehicle similar to space mountain which always makes me feel safer. The back seat feels more secure imo so I would request that if you are worried. I wouldn't skip this one because it is very fun and the only fast part is the part you can see if you stand and watch it first. Inside you speed up to avoid some obstacles but it is brief and not too jerky.

For soarin I would request the third row so you are the lowest level once inflight.

Hope that helps some!

There are some rides that I'm not sure if I want to try. I'll say what my worries are for each of them.

Astro Orbiter - I'm not too worried about the height because I can make it go lower, but it might spin too fast.

Radiator Springs Racers - Sharp turns, and I know the ride is safe, but I'm irrationally worried about the cars crashing into each other.

I do plan to do Splash Mountain and Soarin' even though they look scary to me. For some reason I'm not as worried about them. I'm wondering how people who have similar fears/issues felt on any of the rides I mentioned. I know everyone's experience is different, and I won't make my final decisions until I'm there.

I don't have any ride fear issues, but most of your fears are unfounded (especially the Racers cars crashing into each other). There is definitely at least one sharp turn.

I'm not claustrophobic at all and I don't like the subs much. No seasickness issues as there's no actual boating happening. There is a room where you can watch the ride show without actually going down into a sub.

If you don't like spinning, I would not do all the spinning ones you mentioned. My best friend doesn't do spinning and she won't do any of the ones you mentioned, plus the teacups.

All of the rides at Disneyland are very safe.

A personal favorite of mine are the swings though. They are so fun.

Don't do Finding Nemo - too cramped for too long. I don't have claustrophobia and even I feel a little nervous being in there.

Flik's Flyers, Golden Zephyr, Jumpin Jellyfish, are all fine. Astro Orbiter goes semi-fast, but not really any faster than Dumbo.

With Radiator Springs Racers, the cars racing are on two separate tracks and there are no cars that come in viewing distance in front or behind you when racing. It feels like you're going a lot faster than you actually are (I've heard they only go 35 mph top speed).

Silly Symphony Swings I would skip. I go on it, but it makes me nervous so I have to ride in one of the inner swings.

I am extremely claustrophobic but wanted to do the Nemo Subs with my hubby who had never done them. I mentioned it when we got in line and asked to be loaded last as it then allows you to exit first limiting your time in the sub and allowing me to have the open stairway beside you giving a little more "feeling" of space around me. The CMs at the ride were AWESOME. They passed the message along to everyone and allowed me to board very last and then checked I was okay before they secured the hatch. I was basically fine throughout the ride but a little anxious. As soon as the ride stopped they opened it up and checked on me again before they completed all their checks and allowed us to disembark. Overall it was a positive experience for me and I'm glad I got to ride it again... but I'm also glad we did it after the fireworks 10 minutes before park close with a 5 minute wait so I didn't have extra time in line to get nervous and knowing that if it did freak me out we were already going straight back to the hotel anyway and it wouldn't ruin our day.

Last edited:

Astro Orbiter is at a horrible angle. I felt like I was tipping out the whole time. Once and never again.

Nemo- yes, it's a tight space, my kids hate it. No seasickness.

Flik's- fairly slow spin, hasn't bothered us.

Radiator- super duper fun, very safe

Zephyr and swings are nos for us, my 9 year old is so-so on jellyfish!!!

Soarin was AMAZING!!!!!!

It sounds like you are getting into your own head a bit (I totally recognize this because I do it myself). Claustrophobia is the only one I have an issue with. It worked out well, hubs and kiddo went on the rode while I got a beverage and sat in the shade and massaged my feet for a bit. It was actually quite relaxing.

The others I really think you should just go and see how you feel. I know once on the property I felt so relaxed and caught up that my perspective changed. Don't fret yet. You can always not hop on a ride.

I have an extreme diagnosed anxiety and panic disorder that I am medicated for so I know where you are coming from. But let me tell you...a lot of the rides you are worried about are no big deal at all. Except, avoid Nemo like the plague! The anxiety and claustrophobia are NOT worth it. Jellyfish is very tame and for young kids. Flik's Flyers is also pretty tame. Golden Zephyr is better than Astro Orbiters, IMO. You don't feel so unsecured. As far as the swings go, as someone like me that doesn't like heights, for some reason I LOVE the swings and could ride them all day long. I don't like drops so I won't do Splash Mountain! Oh, and Soarin is AMAZING!! Don't skip it. I have a hard time being in closed spaces so I am kinda anxious on Soarin until the ride actually starts and I forget all about being in a room. I love it!!

radiator springs racer. you will have vertigo on the last dramatic feature of the ride. If you drive on a freeway and and take cloverleaf off ramps, then you are are already having the sensation of the racers....but most cloverleaf off ramps are at 25 mph,, RSR is faster, much faster, creating the vertigo. It is easy to shake off the vertigo, but i will never ride again, because of that curve.

The test ride for spinning, speed and vertigo would be Dumbo, at the age of 60, I am having problems with Dumbo.

and since you don't have fear of the dark, unseen drops in the dark or fear of heights, you will do well on splash

and since you don't have fear of the dark, unseen drops in the dark or fear of heights, you will do well on splash
I do have a fear of heights, but I've watched enough videos of Splash Mountain to know when all the drops are. I think the fact that the big climb is in the dark will help me because I won't we able to see how high up I am until right before the drop.

Definitely skip the Nemo submarine, but there is an alternative room experience. You'll see what the sub riders see through their portholes, but you'll be watching it on a screen. Let the Castmember at the ride entrance know you are claustrophobic and ask if you can utilize the alternative room.

I don't think this spins too fast, but I don't like the way I feel tilted and squished in the ride. It's hard to get out of too. My kids love it though.

If you have claustrophobia, don't ride this. I always feel like it's a little too long and I'd like to get out now, please. There is an alternate viewing location, though I've never used it. They say just ask a CM.

This one is not too fast, and you're in a very large bucket, so the spinning sensation isn't as great as Astro Orbiter.

You may want to skip this. You fling out over the water a bit and it makes you feel even higher.

This is a very gentle ride, but your legs do dangle. There is a seatbelt restraint and a plastic wedge between your legs; it doesn't feel unsafe.

The cars won't crash into each other of course, but there are some sharp turns. The cars go slower than you drive on the freeway though.

Skip this one. You fling out over the water and it is high and fast.

Soarin' isn't too bad at all. Your feet do dangle, but once you're up the ride barely moves at all.
Splash is one I've ridden a lot, even though I always have that moment of terror before the final drop. The ride is fun, and of course safe. Plus that little bit of terror is what gives one the adrenaline rush.

No seasickness since it is on a track, but it can be claustrophobic. I rode it once and decided that it wasn't worth riding again. It just wasn't that great. I didn't get claustrophobic on it because I just focused on my little window the whole time.
This was an extremely tame ride when I finally went on it. It doesn't seem fast at all and while there is one sharp turn, it's such a small part of the overall ride, it isn't something that I'd ever give another thought to. It doesn't look like the cars can crash into each other when on it.

Jellyfish is too boring of a ride for me. I rode it with my kids when they were small and it didn't bother me at all.

Soarin and Splash are fine. Soarin will be slightly scary when you lift up, but then you just watch the movie. Splash is mostly tame with the one big drop and one smaller drop. It doesn't bother me at all.

All the other rides you mentioned I avoid because going in circles makes me dizzy/sick.

I don't love heights and I hate drops. I am not technically claustrophobic, but sometimes it gets in my head. With that as background:

Nemo - I would skip. If you are a huge Nemo fan, do as the others have suggested. I think the claustrophobic feeling would outweigh the enjoyment. And it is a long ride!

Flik I would think is safest. Agree that Astro Orbiter is fine, but coming down you do angle where you feel like you could fall out. You can't - you are buckled, but the first time on the road I didn't know and it was very scary. Now I know - and I don't enjoy the feeling, but I don't panic.

Swings - I actually love but as a PP mentioned, do the inside not the outside swings. If you happen to be considering these rides because you have children who will want to experience them, the tandem swings are on the inside and for some reason I am always more brave when I'm convincing my kids these rides are no big deal.

Zephyr doesn't make me sick at all, but if heights bother you - I would probably skip this.

Jumpin Jellyfish - I waited forever to try this since the drop part had me scared and each time it went "down" I was scared - but it was not really a drop - it was fine. The line is usually longer than the ride justifies so I haven't done it again - but more so b/c once I realized there was nothing to fear - it was pretty boring and not Disney themed.

Racers - I would do this. I don't think the sensations are any different than being with certain drivers. And the ride is just amazing.

note on Splash Mountain - again - take this from someone who hates drops but ride it because my kids love it - do not sit in the back row. Each seat has a back and so the person behind you feels secure by having this seatback in front of them. Plus there are handrails. But the backrow seats two - and so neither of you are really behind the seat back and it left me feeling really exposed and less secure. I much prefer WDW's Splash where you sit side by side and have a lap bar.

It seems like many of the rides you have listed are Disney-fied carnival rides, like the swings and Astro Orbiter. As other posters have said they are skippable, or at least close enough to versions you may hare been on before for you to judge. Everything except Nemo is outside for you to see and evaluate before you ride.

If you look at pictures or videos of Radiator Springs Racers, you can see that each car is on a track. If you can comfortably ride on a freeway, you can ride this. The wind-in-your face makes it feel faster than the 40 mph top speed. Basically driving around town with the car windows open! Of all the rides mentioned, that would be the one to save up your courage for -- it's very good.

PHXscuba

Thank you all for your comments. I'll take them into consideration and see how I feel once I'm there. I don't have kids; I'm just a wimp. :scared1: I know Jumpin' Jellyfish is for little kids, but it looks really scary to me since I get vertigo very easily. Can you sit in a tandem swing on SSS if you're an adult riding it by yourself? That's the only way I could even consider it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter