Looking for info on The Jefferson Hotel in DC

mouseclick1

DIS Veteran
I was thinking of taking my boys to DC this summer and was wondering what this hotel would be like. I've got a few questions that I was hoping someone could help me out with:

What type of accomodations would we need? It would probably just be me and the boys(10 & 11), as DH does not think he will be able to get away from work. Would you recommend a deluxe, luxury, or 1 BR suite?

What other expenses would I need to be prepared for? I think I saw on another post that valet parking was $20 per night. Is this correct? Anything else? Is anything include by any chance, such as a continental breakfast?

Are we close enough to walk to Lincoln Memorial, White House, Smithsonian?

Any other info you could give me would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

when I was there I never used a car, I always used the subway(it was nice and was a 25yr old girl alone and wasn't terrified). I used taxi's some to places the sub wouldn't get me to. Even if you have a car with you it is nice to be able to not have to look for parking in an unfamiliar place. HOpe you have a terrific trip! :cool:

We stayed there last year using our points. It was very nice, but I don't think we'll be going there again. First of all, everything was "extra." There was no breakfast, parking, health club, anything, that didn't cost something in addition to what you were paying for the room, which was pretty substantial. Secondly, you aren't exactly a hop, skip and a jump away from the action. We did walk most of the time because parking in DC is horrible, but we were VERY tired by the end of our trip! We walked several blisters onto our feet. And after a long day in the Smithsonian, the last thing you want to do is take a long hike back to your hotel.

Pixie dust!!
images.cgi

Audrey

It was 20 dollars a night for our car. We flew in but my son met us there and he had a car. We never used it and it sat in a parking garage for 20 dollars a night. It does cost a lot of points and as a previous post said everything is extra. The subway (metro) system is great and a very good way to get around. We had a 2 bedroom because there were so many of us. It is an OK place to stay but I think you can stay outside the area and ride the metro in and be just as happy. There aren't many places to eat in the area but hotels. On the weekends everything is closed. It is like any downtown area on the weekend, all the offices are closed. The hotels are rather expensive places to eat. If we ever go again we will stay in a surrounding area and ride the metro in. Of course, all the sightseeing is free, which makes for a nice trip. There are not many places you can go and see so much for free. Hope this has helped.

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. Glad I didn't jump too quickly into this one; sounds like I should probably save the points and come with a better plan!

The Hotel looked very quaint (sp?) and a unique stay. But I would pay the extra to stay in a centrally located hotel, and as a family with young children, an indoor pool is very nice after a long day of walking. There was a Hilton a couple of blocks closer that looked very nice. The closer the better, closer including access to the subway, which is almost Disney like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter