• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking for help from west coast Floridians...north of Tampa!!

goofy4tink

No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator
We are heading to Florida in August for two weeks. 6 days in WDW, then over to Cocoa Beach for a few days before our 4 night Disney cruise. Then, we head to Tampa to visit my ds and his wife. We are all booked up for the Holiday Inn Express in Oldsmar, about 8 mins away from their apt. Well, he just told me last night that they are moving to Spring Hill in a month or so. We are only going to be visiting with them for 3 days and don't want to spend the time driving back and forth, but none of us are very familier with the Spring Hill area. So, we aren't sure if we should just stay where we are, or if there is someplace more convenient to stay closer to Spring Hill. I imagine that we will be doing a bunch of stuff in the St. Pete/Tampa area, and we fly out of Tampa on a late morning Sunday flight.
So....any of you in that area have any suggestions as to how far out we can stay, or a decent, cheapish spot to stay closer to Spring Hill?? Thanks a ton guys.

From Oldsmar to Springhill it is about an hour give or take.
There are some hotels up that way.
I guess it depends how much stuff you do in Tampa, Clearwater area on where I would stay, Maybe stay 2 days in Oldsmar and then go up or something like that.
It is a pretty straight shot if you go the Veterans up to Springhill.

Hope that helps:)

Oldsmar seems like a good spot if you plan on doing stuff in Tampa and going to the beach in Clearwater and it is a straight shot up to Springhill. If you time it right you can go up to Springhill while everyone is driving down here and vice versa in the evening. You just don't want to get stuck in the commuter traffic.

Oh man, that's what I was afraid of. We like to head to Ft. DeSoto over in St. Pete area, as well as eat at Maggiano's in Tampa. Man, it was going to be so easy driving from Cocoa Beach to their apt in Tampa on the Oldsmar line. Well, now I have to decide if we want to drive an hour up to see them, or just stay closer to them. Perhaps there is a half way area we could check out?? Any thoughts on someplace that is halfway between? I've been up to Tarpon Springs and that was pretty easy to get back to Tampa from. I'm just clueless as far as how long it takes to get anywhere in that area.

Oldsmar seems like a good spot if you plan on doing stuff in Tampa and going to the beach in Clearwater and it is a straight shot up to Springhill. If you time it right you can go up to Springhill while everyone is driving down here and vice versa in the evening. You just don't want to get stuck in the commuter traffic.

But, early Sunday morning shouldn't be an issue with traffic? That's what I'm most concerned with...we have an 11:00 flight, so have to be there before 9 to return the car and get checked in. I know that the traffic can get hairy around Tampa proper at those busy commuter times, but perhaps that won't be an issue coming down from Springhill early on Sunday, around 7:30 or so?
Anyone know if the Best Western in Springhill is decent? I think it's called the BW Wickee Wachee or something like that.

Maybe in the Land O Lakes area that is in the middle of Springhill and Oldsmar Then you could hop on the Veterans and go.

The Holiday Inn Express has some good reviews maybe that would work, I don't know anything about the Best Western except that it is across the street from Weeki Wachee springs, so it is probably in a really busy location,

Oh, sorry you're right about Sunday. We have driven to the airport Saturday and Sunday mornings with no problems.

I'm sorry I can't comment on the hotels further north. I do know there is a Knight's Inn on US19 in Palm Harbor that my sister said was horrible! My parents have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Oldsmar and it was fine.

Steph...we have stayed in the Holiday Inn Express in Oldsmar in the past and thought it was fine also. Hoping to find something similar a bit further north. Or perhaps we'll just stick with our reservations in Oldsmar. Sure do wish I could find something closer to Springhill though. Off to check out the Land O Lakes area to see what's there.

I live in Land O Lakes just minutes from Springhill. The Holiday Inn express on 54 is small but would serve your purpose. It is in What is called Wesley Chapel which is about 15 minutes from my house. There is also a Sleep Inn and a Comfort Inn. They are all gouped together just off of 75. There is a new hotel being built (a marriot I think) right off the Veterans on 54. Im going right by there today so I will look to see if it is open for business. This particular area is just beginning to build up so it is not out in the middle of nowhere anymore.

How many people are in your group?

I live in Land O Lakes just minutes from Springhill. The Holiday Inn express on 54 is small but would serve your purpose. It is in What is called Wesley Chapel which is about 15 minutes from my house. There is also a Sleep Inn and a Comfort Inn. They are all gouped together just off of 75. There is a new hotel being built (a marriot I think) right off the Veterans on 54. Im going right by there today so I will look to see if it is open for business. This particular area is just beginning to build up so it is not out in the middle of nowhere anymore.

How many people are in your group?
That all sounds great, thanks! There are just three of us, so a very basic room is all we are going to need. I'll have to check out the Holiday Inn Express...we find them to be pretty decent.

I will let you know what I find out about the new hotel. I think it would be better because it is closer to the Veterans Expressway and a direct shot to Springhill or down to Maggiano's ;)

I used my house address to Springhill and according to Google it is a 23 minute drive without getting on the Veterans Expressway.

I will let you know what I find out about the new hotel. I think it would be better because it is closer to the Veterans Expressway and a direct shot to Springhill or down to Maggiano's ;)

I used my house address to Springhill and according to Google it is a 23 minute drive without getting on the Veterans Expressway.

Thanks...that's the kind of thing I need to know. Gotta be closer to Maggiano's...you would think we didn't have one here, in Boston. But we never go to that one, but love the one in Tampa when we go with my son..go figure. I like the idea of not having to wander around on the lesser roads...being on, or right off, the main drag is a good thing. Thanks again for the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter