Looking for good resources on Schizophrenia in children

Ember

<font color=blue>I've also crazy glued myself to m
It may be a long shot, but I thought perhaps with the wide range of people here someone might have a good book or resource to recommend.

Thank you.

Here is Janis and her families website. Not sure if you are familiar with her. Maybe you can do some digging and find some source material. It is controversial however I wish no ill will on this family and what they deal with daily.

http://www.janisjourney.org/

Here is Janis and her families website. Not sure if you are familiar with her. Maybe you can do some digging and find some source material.

http://www.janisjourney.org/

Thanks. No, I'm not familiar with her at all. I must own that I am not very familiar at all with Schizophrenia, let alone in children. I've never really encountered it directly before.

Thanks. No, I'm not familiar with her at all. I must own that I am not very familiar at all with Schizophrenia, let alone in children. I've never really encountered it directly before.

My MIL is schizophrenic and my cousin got it as a child at about age 12, I think. He is in his 40's now.

There's a very interesting story on "Medicated Child", documentary on Netflix and YouTube. It brings to light the amount of prescription drugs that are given to kids that seem a little "out of the norm". Some make you go :confused3 , but there was one story about a 12 yr old girl, that really made you go :eek: . The was a video clip from the doctor on one of her first visits when she was about 5, talking about making heads explode or people dying, jumping off buildings and all sorts of stuff.

I want to say there was also an episode of Oprah a while back about a Schizo little girl, about 10 yrs old. I watched that one on YouTube as well.

There's a very interesting story on "Medicated Child", documentary on Netflix and YouTube. It brings to light the amount of prescription drugs that are given to kids that seem a little "out of the norm". Some make you go :confused3 , but there was one story about a 12 yr old girl, that really made you go :eek: . The was a video clip from the doctor on one of her first visits when she was about 5, talking about making heads explode or people dying, jumping off buildings and all sorts of stuff.

I want to say there was also an episode of Oprah a while back about a Schizo little girl, about 10 yrs old. I watched that one on YouTube as well.

That is Janis.

Yeah, I'm reading the site now. Figured that one out. The Oprah show was interesting to watch too.

NAMI.org is always a good starting place.

Schizophrenia is one of those things that tears families to shreds and leaves a mark of some sort on everyone concerned. My mother was a paranoid schizophrenic, and I learned what it was and what it meant to me by the time I was 4. Peace was something that we almost never had in our household. One of the things that people tend to discover about living with a schizophrenic is that you don't get any peace at all unless you pretend to buy into their illusions at least a little bit, but that once having done so, it becomes a very stressful mental struggle to keep yourself from believing them in truth. Every so often the healthy family member simply has to have a confrontation about reality vs. delusion, and it is never pretty.

My DD who will be 12 in Feb. was diagnosed with Schizophrenia when she was only 6 years old. It is rare to be diagnosed as a child, but not impossible. It does run in her birth mom's side of the family (I am adopted mom). With out her medications she would not be able to function and also be a violent girl. If there is anything I can help you with, please let me know!

NAMI.org is always a good starting place.

Schizophrenia is one of those things that tears families to shreds and leaves a mark of some sort on everyone concerned. My mother was a paranoid schizophrenic, and I learned what it was and what it meant to me by the time I was 4. Peace was something that we almost never had in our household. One of the things that people tend to discover about living with a schizophrenic is that you don't get any peace at all unless you pretend to buy into their illusions at least a little bit, but that once having done so, it becomes a very stressful mental struggle to keep yourself from believing them in truth. Every so often the healthy family member simply has to have a confrontation about reality vs. delusion, and it is never pretty.

My dh did not know until he was a teenager. She was taking her meds and then went off them, of course and then she was fired and then the psychotic cycle began. They always knew she was different but no one in the family told them there mother was mentally ill.

DH's dad divorced her and left her with 3 kids to raise. In hindsight, not a smart thing to do to children and then expect a good adult relationship later.

She is doing pretty good right now. She is 73 and working a part time job in a doctors office believe it or not. We do think she is not eating right though, but what can you do.

She was put on Zyprexa when it came out and she had such great results on it, it was absolutely amazing. Well that and we threatened her with not seeing the grandkids ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter