• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking for Foot Comfort

lizanne

DIS Veteran
I've been to WDW many times in the past, but because of DH health issues our last trip was in 2007. We are going in May.

My problem is that I am now a Senior Citizen and I every ache and pain is magnified, especially my feel.

Can someone recommend a comfortable brand of shoe/sneaker for walking. I'm going to get back into exercising to help with my stamina, but that won't be any help for the souls of my feet.

Thanks.

I have been using Reebok ZigLites. I generally use them for running, but have also used them all day long for general wear and have never had an issue. I have a couple friends who are nurses and they use those as well and speak highly of them (which is how I heard about them to begin with).

I recommend a good pair of sneakers, but not brand-new. Buy them a month or so before and start wearing them a bit so they are broken in (but not worn out). I've heard running shoes are best, but I actually tend to prefer cross-trainers. My husband also likes to make sure he has a fresh pair of gel insoles for a trip.

Enjoy your trip!

Keen Newport H2! Fantastic sole & comfort. They were recommended to me during chemo because of their reputation. They are wonderful.

I have to have shoes that have comfy soles, or my feet are on fire at the end of the night. I have searched for years. First I had a pair of Reebok with a cushioned heel portion; they were ok. Then I found Grasshopper sneakers with very soft inner soles; they were better. This past year, I have found the absolute best. They are made by Dr. Scholls and they have a spongy, springy insole that has great shock absorbtion. They are the best I've ever had. Here is their description:

cushioning removable insole with Pressure Relief technology

Found here:

http://www.drschollsshoes.com/en-US/Product/11689-5165157/Dr.+Scholls/White_Sky/Womens+Elise.aspx

My husband has the men's version.

I'm going to chime in again! I would HIGHLY encourage you to go to a good, small running footwear store and get fitted for some GOOD shoes. I like "FleetFeet" and they are nationwide. Most Dr.'s will recommend running shoes--even if you are walking. I have bad back and knees and I wear shoes all day every day 'cause it really helps. A skilled "fitter" will watch your gait and listen to what you need and where you hurt. They will have various brands that you can try in store.

A Pooh sized GF of mine just did this at age 40 something and exclaims she cannot believe how much better she feels and how much easier it is to walk.

Soarin4us said:
Keen Newport H2! Fantastic sole & comfort. They were recommended to me during chemo because of their reputation. They are wonderful.

This...best, most versatile shoe I've ever worn. They last forever. My first pair will be retired this winter after 6 years. I'll be getting a new pair to be broken in by our march trip.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I can't help with a specific shoe recommendation, but I second the poster that said be sure to break them in well before your trip.

Also, pack along some Dr. Scholl's blister bandages and use them at the first sign of spot soreness. Regular band-aids always just bunch up and make things worse.

Enjoy your trip! :)

JennyDrake said:
I'm going to chime in again! I would HIGHLY encourage you to go to a good, small running footwear store and get fitted for some GOOD shoes. I like "FleetFeet" and they are nationwide. Most Dr.'s will recommend running shoes--even if you are walking. I have bad back and knees and I wear shoes all day every day 'cause it really helps. A skilled "fitter" will watch your gait and listen to what you need and where you hurt. They will have various brands that you can try in store.

A Pooh sized GF of mine just did this at age 40 something and exclaims she cannot believe how much better she feels and how much easier it is to walk.

Absolutely. Fleet Feet is the perfect suggestion. We are all different and what works for one might not work for another. Have someone find what works for YOU and you will be happy.

It's really impossible to recommend a specific shoe, or even shoe brand, because everyone has different foot issues that can be a problem. A person with flat feet needs a totally different shoe than someone with a high arch.

Personally, I have very high arches and wide feet. The most comfortable shoe I have found is the Propet Wash N Wear Walker. It's a slip on leather walking shoe with lots of support, and when it gets dirty, you just toss it in the washer to clean it up.

The best advice has already been given. Go and be fitted for shoes that work for your foot type. Make sure you break them in before you go. If possible, take two different pair of shoes so you can trade off from day to day. And don't be afraid to sit down and give your feet a break once in a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter